Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 01-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Rider
Default Sonny Barger's Son? arrested for kidnapping

http://www.ky3.com/home/video/81319147.html

NEVADA, Mo. -- A fourth man from the Ozarks is accused of ordering the kidnapping of a pet store owner from New Jersey who was brought to Missouri. Vernon County Sheriff Ron Peckman says William Barger was arrested at his home just outside Nevada on Monday.

Investigators believe Barger told Douglas Stangeland, Lonnie Swarnes, and Andrew Wadel to kidnap Jeff Muller, who was abducted from outside his business in Newton, N.J., on Friday. Muller escaped after the men had car trouble on Saturday in Lake Ozark on their way to Vernon County. Investigators say the men kidnapped the wrong Jeff Muller, and previously tried to kidnap a Jeff Muller in or near Nevada.

According to a Vernon County detective's probable cause statement used as the basis of the charges against Barger, Swarnes told officers that Barger ordered the kidnapping. It may have had to do with an old grudge by Barger against a man named Jeff Muller.

The probable cause statement says the three kidnappers may have done it because they were "prospects" for a Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club that was being started in the Midwest. The detective wrote Swarnes said Barger told the kidnappers that he would be the president of the club and that he is the son of Sonny Barger, the founder of the Hell's Angels. Sheriff Ron Peckman said Wednesday that he doesn't believe Barger is the son of Sonny Barger.

The detective also said Barger, Stangeland and Wadel lived together at a home at 1840 W. Maple St., also known as 17125 S. 1413 Road, just outside Nevada. Barger's girlfriend, Kim Hunter, Hunter's children, and Hunter's sister, Tina Morris, also lived at the home.

The probable cause statement also says Swarnes said the three kidnappers broke into the home of a couple near Richards, a few miles west of Nevada, and restrained the couple to chairs with zip ties last Nov. 9. During that assault of Charles Scammell and his wife, their three attackers wore ski masks and one of them shot Scammell in his right hand with a shotgun, causing him to lose three fingers.

Swarnes told officers that Barger ordered the three men to go to the Scammells' home to question him about his dealings with a Jeffrey Muller of New Jersey about 10 years ago. In Barger's bedroom, officers say they found maps showing where the Scammells live. When contacted by a reporter by phone on Wednesday, Scammell declined to comment.

The detective also wrote Swarnes told officers that Barger threatened to harm him and his family on numerous occasions if he didn't commit the crimes that Barger wanted done. Hunter also told officers that she feared for her and her children's safety if she didn't do what Barger told her to do.

Hunter told officers that Barger hid 17 guns at a different location before officers searched the home on Maple. Officers found those guns, which include two nickel-plated pistols with long barrels, one stainless large barrelled pistol, one semi-automatic shotgun with a sawed-off barrel, and 13 long guns, rifles and shotguns.

Barger faces 11 charges, including burglary, two counts of kidnapping, assault, four counts of armed criminal action, unlawful possession of a firearm, tampering with physical evidence, and possession of an illegal sawed-off shotgun. The prosecutor says Barger is convicted of an assault in 1992 in New York, so he can't legally possess firearms. He's in the Vernon County jail and a judge declined to set a bond for him.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Club Member
Send a message via MSN to NSCoyote Send a message via Skype™ to NSCoyote

well if he is or isnt, either way hes in for a world of headaches
My 2001 FXD build, winter 2013. completed
Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Prospect

crazy stuff
Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnT4Life View Post
http://www.ky3.com/home/video/81319147.html
Sheriff Ron Peckman said Wednesday that he doesn't believe Barger is the son of Sonny Barger.
If this guy is not the son of "Sonny Barger" and he is running around claiming he is and that he is starting a Club in the Midwest i cannot imagine.. Sonny Barger enjoys it.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Violent yes, criminals yes, but not exactly a bunch of rocket scientists. I've read most motorcycle gang members live a hand to mouth existance and only those at the top get rich, this story would seem to confirm that.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tony View Post
Violent yes, criminals yes, but not exactly a bunch of rocket scientists.
When the first three were arrested a few days ago, the Sherriff was quoted as calling them 'Bumbling Idiots'.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrad View Post
If this guy is not the son of "Sonny Barger" and he is running around claiming he is and that he is starting a Club in the Midwest i cannot imagine.. Sonny Barger enjoys it.

Claiming to be his son and claiming to be starting a HA chapter. I would say this fool in trouble on either side of the law.

I think they watched SOA too much
Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyguy5571 View Post
Claiming to be his son and claiming to be starting a HA chapter. I would say this fool in trouble on either side of the law.

I think they watched SOA too much
Ya THINK! !
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tony View Post
Violent yes, criminals yes, but not exactly a bunch of rocket scientists. I've read most motorcycle gang members live a hand to mouth existance and only those at the top get rich, this story would seem to confirm that.
wow.... dont always believe what you read
Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Road Master

And only half of what you see.

I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll take a look.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 PM

P

Tags
angels, barger, bargers, bill, children, hells, jeffrey, kidnapping, lonnie, mo, muller, nevada, son, sonny, stangeland, swarnes, william