Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

P

Old 10-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Default Pros and Cons of ATT U-Verse vs Cable

Does anyone have any experience with AT&T U-Verse TV, high speed internet, and phone? We are thinking of changing from Charter cable (TV, internet, and phone) to U-Verse. What are the pros and cons of each? Which do you prefer and why?

We can get a deal on the U-Verse for 12 months and the AT&T salesperson claims that near the end of the 12 months all we have to do is call and ask for another deal and they will put us on a then current deal similar to what we will have for the first 12 months. This sounds a little fishy to me. Anyone experience this? Will it really work that way? Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish
Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Prospect

Cant comment on the "continuing deal" but I can say that I rarely have problems with my TV, internet or phone with ATT. I switched from a standard phone, cable modem and DirecTv and am very happy with it. I don't actually use the ATT VOiP but another vendor instead. The only downside to a single vendor using one technology is when you do have a problem with the internet service, The phone and TV are dead also.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

In my old town where I recently moved "from"...I had Comcast triple play and I was very pleased with that. Comcast has blinding internet speeds with their powerboost, in my experience their support is great (I work with a lot..and I mean a lot..of different ISPs "on the job"...so I give quite an "IMO" about ISPs. I'm a computer network consultant-engineer for a living, focusing mostly on small business networks). Prices, speed, features, call quality, TV picture quality, all worked for me.

Recently moved a few towns over, and the only cable option there was a smaller ISP. Rented for a few years until I sold my house in old town, this past summer just bought new house. The smaller cable ISP I was stuck with...more expensive, less features, slower internet, wasn't happy with TV pic quality. Traditional DSL even slower. Finally U-Verse became available, I got it when I moved into the new house.

I love it. I have 6 TVs in the house, an internet connection fairly equal to the super fast Comcast I had, picture quality is top notch, the new set top boxes are smaller, and I'm paying less for more features. I have not had to work with AT&T support yet for any issues...to be honest I'm not looking forward to it either...but the product itself is great. I like the home DVR feature where you can record and watch from any other box in the house.

You're stuck using the gateway they give you, the dreaded "2Wire" brand....by default it takes over as your main wireless router. But if you want to use your own router/firewall (like me and my linux firewalls)...you can easily bypass that, it's pretty easy to do the DMZ plus mode workaround.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Road Master

I have Charter. If I could have ANYTHING else I would. Charter is by far the WORST cable company I have ever dealt with (***, Comcast, Charter). I have been trying to get U-Verse forever ... not available for me though.

Basically, anything>charter
Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

They recently ran fiber down our road...
Salesmen came with an offer which was more than I pay for cable now. All my computer equipment is still runnin 100Mbps. So, I had to decline their offer.

I pay way too much for all this advertisement as it is! You get about five minutes of prime time TV for every ten minutes of advertisements. Who ever had the idea that paying to see what there is to buy has to be more wealthy than me!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Rider
irider blogs iriderblogs

Watch out for the "bundle" contracts" most changes in your package will re-start your contract. I have Direct TV and cable for phone and internet. Verizon screwed me when I went to change my phone service, plus their DSL service sucked.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM

P