Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

P

Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Hang Around

I have an odd statement to add, more of a second thought. First, I spent eight years in the USMC, and may be a tad on the extreme side.

I think if someone is going to wear a U.S. flag patch on their vest/jacket, not only should placement of the flag be considered, but also the maintanance and cleanliness of that patch be considered as well. My placement is top left on my vest, nothing goes above it. If I'd have the USMC or any other state/branch of service flag near it, it would be 5/8" below and to the right to demonstrate respect. When I say maintanance and cleanliness, I personally consider it offensive to see splattered bugs or road grime on it. That's just my opinion.

I love to see the flag "unfurled to every breeze" (second verse of the Marine Corps hymn), which I believe is why a flag patch on the right sleeve, with the stars to the right, is the only appropriate location for that patch, to demonstrate the flag moving foward from that angle.

Great question and consideration from my perspective. Thanks to past and present service members, and to those patriotic citizens who recognize the sacrifices made.

OOH RAH! And, Semper Fi!

2011 Road Glide Custom
103" - Cool Blue Pearl
AN Big Sucker Air Cleaner
ThunderHeader Slip-on's
PC V
Old 02-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Club Member

top left on my vest as well

2003 FX Lowrider
President, V-Twin Cruisers MC Springfield Ohio Chapter
Patriot Guard Rider 163818
Old 02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
One Of The Regulars

To each his own. Some VMC have a specific lay out that must be followed. Each person has a place they think it should go.. I am currently serving in the US Army...15 yrs now and am just glad to see people wear it and show some pride, but like stated try keep it clean.

Let us not forget our fallen... For they have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

just went from dyna to streetglide and lovin it!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Back before ACUs and all their glorious velcro. When we first started wearing Old Glory on our shoulder. The proper placement of the patch was BELOW our combat patch. First off I got in trouble because I sewed them on opposite. I placed the flag above my combat patch. Then after that I just quit wearing my combat patch so that the flag was on the top of the sleeve. The point is, and has already been made several times here, NOTHING goes above the US Flag. Now on our ACUs the flag is the top patch on the sleeve.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Road Captain

The American flag should always be displayed above all others and to the viewer’s right; therefore placement on the wearers left above the heart is appropriate.

2010 Ultra Classic
USAF, Retired
SE Stage 1/PC-V/Jackpot Slip on Mufflers
Harley Davidson Oil Cooler/Road Tech Zumo 660
Russell Day Long Seat Modification/HD Backrest
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Elite HDF Member

My flag goes on a pole in the front yard. It comes down at dusk and is folded properly. Neighbor down the street has this dirty poor flag that hangs out on his porch 24/7. Another guy near here has a sorry-*** excuse of a flag -- filthy and ripped -- attached to his pickup bed. I hate that stuff...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
One Of The Regulars

Interesting reading, and as you can see somewhat confusing as a Marine vet I want to fly my flags right so I did some research. There really is no protocol for wearing on a vest or civilian clothes, other then a lapel pin. Only on uniforms as others have already stated. However there seems to be a big misconception about where the flag should fly. Nothing should be right of the flag or it should fly right of itself. That means as the viewer looks on it should be to the left, this is on flag poles and such. Look at pics of the oval office the American flag on the right of the president (the place of honor the right hand) and the presidential flag on the left hand. This is true at all state capitals the U S flag on the right or viewers left and the state flag on the viewers right. They can fly and should fly at the same level. there is a lot of info out there, just not much on wearing the flag on clothing.

Semper Fi Marines
Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyPooch View Post
I have an odd statement to add, more of a second thought. First, I spent eight years in the USMC, and may be a tad on the extreme side.

I think if someone is going to wear a U.S. flag patch on their vest/jacket, not only should placement of the flag be considered, but also the maintanance and cleanliness of that patch be considered as well. My placement is top left on my vest, nothing goes above it. If I'd have the USMC or any other state/branch of service flag near it, it would be 5/8" below and to the right to demonstrate respect. When I say maintanance and cleanliness, I personally consider it offensive to see splattered bugs or road grime on it. That's just my opinion.

OOH RAH! And, Semper Fi!
I understand what you mean by cleanliness, but if you saw mine you might take offense to it. The flag patch on my vest also happens to by the first flag I wore into combat on my uniform. It is a little dingy looking but is as clean as it would come. I coulda put a new one on it but this one means so much more to me than a nice new pretty one. Its a good conversation starter. I get asked all the time why it is backwards (stars on the right side).

CVMA #4905, PGR #205028

Remember.... When seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Hang Around

OK, don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I have a cloth vest with the H-D shield on the back. I've always wanted to put a "good sized" American flag above the shield, with a smaller Texas flag below the shield. Never thought this would offend anyone, but now I'm not sure. I never served, but feel I'm as patiotic as anybody here. What about that?

THANK YOU to all that have served or are serving (in any capacity) so that I may sit here and enjoy being with a group of people that I will never met, but feel a close bond to, and not have to worry about any repercussions from some f'ing lunatic that wants to tellme I can't.

If yer gonna be dumb you gotta be tough, but there ain't no way you can prepare yerself for stupid.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Extreme HDF Member

That's were I have mine, nothing goes above the flag on my vest.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM

P