Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

P

Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Extreme HDF Member
Default Finally a name for it: "Vocal fry".

Those of you who know me know that Dickey ain't too crazy about anything new or "trendy". Oh, some things are great, like cell phones & Harleys that don't leak. But basically, I think I would be happier if we could go back to a simpler time, with better music, better guitars, & women who actually LIKED sex.

Well, I have tried to accept certain things about today, but there are a few that I will NEVER accept & will flame loudly & publicly every chance I get. Like rap music & texting.

But there is one thing that has annoyed me for a couple years, & I thought I was the only one who noticed this--people even thought I was nuts when I mentioned it to them. But--today I found out I am NOT alone, & that this annoying "trend" has a name: Vocal fry!

Have you noticed that young chicks,mostly teenagers & early 20s, today all sound the same when they speak? Their voice gets low & raspy, or "creaky" towards the end of a sentence, like they're running out of breath? This is called "Vocal Fry", and is an affectation that started a few years back, that for some stupid reason, young chicks nowadays have started to put on. Generally speaking, I have noticed that the hotter the chick, the worse the affectation. First noticed it a few years back on that incredibly obnoxious show "Blind Date". They did 2 segments per show;a NYC segment & an LA segment. The LA chicks seemed to be doing it the most. This crap grates on me like fingernails on a blackboard. Although I am definitely NOT a fan of growing older, I would not wanna be young nowadays & hafta go out with these incredibly stupid texting vocal fry bimbos. Was gonna post a link, but there are so many, with YouTube examples, if you just Google "Vocal Fry"

Anyone else notice this? Just one of a few new pretentious vocal affectations that young people, mostly women, seem to put on nowadays.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

It started years ago,all the young dumb female wannabe's decided to imitate the "valley girls" and pretend to be special. The dumass guys would have you believe that they are dangerous thugs,just itching to kill anybody that disses them. Ridiculous **** to say the least. It's not too bad around here,(mostly rednecks),lol.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Elite HDF Member

That speech pattern has been around for a long time. Just watch Gilligan's Island and listen to the Howell's.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Road Warrior

Think it all started in the LA...Valley...Valley Girls thing and spread east. NY City girls not so much unless they are transplants. I agree it is very annoying. Reminds me of the way the rich, high society women talked years ago without the slang.
My pet peeve is texting...just don't get it. If you want to talk to someone, talk to them.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Road Captain

No, no no, No, NO!

Naming a thing is the first step toward legitimizing it...which leads to mainstreaming it! It's already happened to dressing like a cholo . That could still be a minor ethnic ethnic fashion glitch, but it caught on because (IMHO) it was given a name. Now half my nephews dress that way...it's disgusting.

If my nieces catch this crap, I'm gonna blame you for making me aware of it having a name, dicky. *fierce scowl*

Patriot Guard Rider
Legion Rider (AZ Post 40)

2006 DynaGlide
Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Extreme HDF Member

I have 2 teenagers and I've never heard them or any of their friends do this. Must be a regional thing? It hasn't caught on in the Midwest thank goodness!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

I gave up listening to "young chicks" when i realized that they had nothing of significance to say.

I will give them some credit.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

When I hear a young girl talk like that I have to laugh. They sound like morons and I don't hold back letting them know how stupid I think they are. I have a 26 year old Daughter. Her and all of her friends speak normal. And act normal. Thank God.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Road Warrior

Dickey-no offense meant,but I'm a born and bred N.Yorker like yourself.You need to get your *** outta Florida,because if chit like that is bothering you,you my friend need something to do.When we were kids,I'm sure the older generation hated a lot of the crap that we did(long hair,loud music,smokin pot).Is it just you getting older,and what the fk are you doing watching that crap on t.v?Growing up i always said i wasn't going to turn into all the "old farts" that bitched about what my friends and i looked like or were doing.Finding out it's hard sometimes to do.Again, no offense mean't,just think about it.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Big Dawg Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarille View Post
Dickey-no offense meant,but I'm a born and bred N.Yorker like yourself.You need to get your *** outta Florida,because if chit like that is bothering you,you my friend need something to do.When we were kids,I'm sure the older generation hated a lot of the crap that we did(long hair,loud music,smokin pot).Is it just you getting older,and what the fk are you doing watching that crap on t.v?Growing up i always said i wasn't going to turn into all the "old farts" that bitched about what my friends and i looked like or were doing.Finding out it's hard sometimes to do.Again, no offense mean't,just think about it.
Good advice here. I wondered why Dickey was paying attention to it, too.

G-dawg's 2008 Screamin' Eagle Road King
My review of Kuryakyn LED Headlight
Ride like a Pro V
2014 Ultra Limited - Stage I - V&H True Duals, V&H Mufflers, SE Air Cleaner, SEST
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM

P