Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

P

Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Road Captain
Human4m MurphyLong
Default Retired the ride...

Well, I'm not a fan of airing out my laundry, but things have gotten pretty hairy on the homefront. My wife's ex-husband stopped paying child support on his two children, and I took a paycut at work so the bike had to go. I sold my Dyna for $9,000 so we would have a "cushion" to land on if things got worse, and it's pretty much gone. Who knew kids were so expensive!

Anyhow, that's also why I didn't renew my membership here at HDForums, I haven't had the extra dough to fling around. I've stopped painting and dipping bikes on the side, because I was essentially breaking even after materials, so now I just spend my "home time" with my family, and on 4 wheels.

Hopefully in a few years we'll get it right and I'll be able to buy another. It's a shame, I grew up on a Harley, got dropped off to middle shcool in a Harley, graduated on a Harley, married on a Harley, and now I'm just not even near a Harley.

I've learned a lot, and hopefully helped a few people here, if not entertained them with my wonderful wife who has always been a great sport about providing some extra motivation. I'll probably check in from time to time, but as it's almost been 6 months since my last check-in here, it's probably gonna be after I'm riding again.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Damn that sucks,hope things get better for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Road Warrior

HD will still be here when you are in a better place - as I am not a parent I can only tell you that you are doing right by your kids and the love you feel from them will never equal the joy your are missing on the HD - they are way more worth it

that said, when they are grown and out of the house, you will find yourself a beautiful bike to play with again and make your own - if you still want it, you will make it happen
2008 FLHX-Rinehart True Duals, SE Ventilator, Andrews 26H Cams, Custom Tuned by Doc, Rollin on a PM Chrome LUXE 21/18 combo and lit up by a Truck Lite Phase 7 jamming with Focals upper and lower powered by an ARC amp
Old 06-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Road Captain
Human4m MurphyLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgenf View Post
HD will still be here when you are in a better place - as I am not a parent I can only tell you that you are doing right by your kids and the love you feel from them will never equal the joy your are missing on the HD - they are way more worth it

that said, when they are grown and out of the house, you will find yourself a beautiful bike to play with again and make your own - if you still want it, you will make it happen

If I can still ride in 16 years, I'll definitely be glad. I suffer from subluxation of the ulnar nerves, and before I'm 50, chances are my riding days will be over. That's why I'm aiming for 2-3 years from now, so I can still get some miles on the odometer before I'm limited to my truck.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Hopefully your situation will improve, good luck!

2005 Ultra Classic
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Rider

That's a tough break man. I hope you get everything situated soon. Best of luck to ya.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Road Warrior

It's the times.
Lot's of us under the radar, and many will never fully recover.
You adapt or die.

Sounds like you have things sorted out as well as can be. Hang in there, keep plugging away, and hopefully you will sort things out sufficiently to catch some wind.

Family first, you've nailed it. Good Luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Whelp..you've gotta do the right thing for the family first...and if the bike had to go...the bike had to go. Don't regret that.

I had a similar thing this past winter, things got very tight...I was mulling around selling my prior bike, the 06 Dyna...and getting a larger bike. Anyways, in January I sold her..and went for a few months without a bike. Things turned around for me about a month ago, and I was able to pick up another a few weeks ago, an older Shovelhead (which I wanted to get an older bike anyways). And I'll slowly build her up and restore it as money allows. But she's ridable now.

Hope your lucks turns for the better soon, but look at it this way, you did the right thing. Good stuff will come back to you because of that.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

take the ex to court and get those child support payments caught up...the kids deserve it and it is his responsibility.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

That sucks Patrick...please know your old tank still lives on another marines bike.

Your doing the right thing and it will only be for a short while. Take the dead beat to court (what a low life to stop paying on his own kids)

You'll be on another bike soon and then you can start modding all over again on pennies for the dollar...Dude your still the king of the killer deals
Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM

P