Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > Off Topic
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Off Topic A place for you bike junkies to boldly post off topic. No political or religious threads.
Sponsored by: Phat Performance Parts

P

Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
One Of The Regulars
Default The reality of heat

Riding here in AZ like many places in the southwest, we have to deal with the heat a good portion of the year. But it seems to never really make me think too much about it, as I carry lots of water, wear a cooling vest and most times wear the full face helmet to keep the hot winds from blasting me in the face.

Then I heard about the death of Julie "Jules" Elliot on Friday. (see pic) She died from extreme heat exhaustion while out riding. She was pretty well known within the motorcycle community. Used to own the Renegade Classics shop on Cactus, she was Miss AZ Bike Week, and involved with lots of bike runs for charity. It is difficult to understand how this happened and why she did not stop to cool down.

Hopefully riders will pay attention and learn from her tragic death and keep cool out there. Take it easy and enjoy the ride but be cool while you ride.
Attached Thumbnails
The reality of heat-204627_1964451954643_3251458_o.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Club Member

Dehydration while riding comes on very quickly because you don't feel yourself perspire and the wind wicks away moister quickly....... body shuts down quickly also, very little symptomology.
One needs to hydrate purposely.

RIP
Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Road Warrior
colonial restoration studio

I will usually hydrate about every 2 hours or fill up.

We're dealing with high 90's and 110% humidity. It's just plan humid and hot DC Muck weather.

I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
::: Andrew Wyeth :::
Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
"Moderator & Club Member"

That's really sad to hear.

If I don't drink enough when I'm riding, later that day, I get horrible leg cramps. So now, I get something to drink when I get to where I'm going or along the way there.

I've also became a little whimpy because I don't like to ride when it's 95į+.
'13 Blackline FXS...'12-???

"Assless chaps". If they're not assless, then aren't they just pants?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Senior Rider

That's sad to hear. We had a guy die of suspected heat stress or heat stroke while riding either last summer or two summers ago. Witnesses said the he was going down the road and then just slowly drifted off the road almost like he went to sleep. It gets hot and fairly humid here in Oklahoma but the previous two summers were extremely hot for here. It's important to have an understanding of how hot wind on bear skin affects the bodies ability to cool itself. Don't get me wrong, I wear t-shirts myself, but only when I know I'm not going to be out that long or will be making frequent stops on hot days. But long, or all day rides, I'm in my perforated jacket. Lets the air through, but I still sweat a little in it. Also switched over to a 3/4 helmet with a shield this year. Besides the speakers/tunes that I have inside the helmet, I love the mirrored shield keeping the wind and sun off my face. Maybe its cause I'm getting older or just wimpier, but I love the fact that I am not nearly as worn out after a days long ride in the saddle wearing all the non cool stuff.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM
One Of The Regulars

Rode home from work last friday, temp was pushing 118, it's only a 14 mile ride. By the time i got home felt like i could'nt even breathe.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Road Warrior

Hydration is the key.
I ride a bicycle almost daily, around 20 miles a pop minimum. And I do it when I can so many days, especially the weekends it is mid afternoon. Could never do it if you are not constantly drinking.
You must drink even if you do not feel thirsty. By the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. Then if they get angry you are a mile away and they are barefoot.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Road Captain

Sad news. Sorry to hear it. Never could bring myself to buy a bike when I lived in PHX. Like being in a blast furnace half the year.

2014 Ultra Limited
2013 Heritage Classic (traded)
Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The painter View Post
I will usually hydrate about every 2 hours or fill up.

We're dealing with high 90's and 110% humidity. It's just plan humid and hot DC Muck weather.
Yup, it sure as hell been hot and humid here lately. Went for a ride this past saturday, was out for a total of 6.5 hrs, with probably at least half of those spent cooling off in a few favorite watering holes and was pounding water every chance i got. Actually tossed in a camelback into one of the saddlebags with ice and water before i took off. When its that hot, one has to start hydrating way before going out for a while. Can definitely feel the exhaustion after being in the hot weather.

Sorry to hear about the untimely passing. RIP.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Anyone have a link to any article on this ? I'm in a constant battle with my company about heat related issues on a lot of our jobs like one person working on a roof in triple digit heat and out in the open sun constantly , our central valley is no joke in the summers . Something in print this personal would help my case

If you haven't been to the edge your just a tourist in life's cheap seats .

When you think your day can't suck any worse remember somewhere somebodies job is making *****'s
Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM

P