Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Circulating Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Sterling Nicholson
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Circulating Issues

hi There.
I have a 1996 80 cubic" that sat all winter and now the oil doesn't seem to be circulating. When first fired up it seemed to be making oil and it appeared aerated! I changed the oil and filter ( oil was changed before laying it up for winter) again. sparked it up and was making oil after 30 sec.I then removed the oil filter and it is empty!
Any Ideas? I thought my next step would be to pull my plugs and roll it over before pulling the oil pump. Any help would be fantastic. Thanks

Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

What year and model bike?

There is more than one oil tank configuration on Evos, so you must be specific.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:24 AM
Sterling Nicholson
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for trying to help! My bike is a 1994 softtail custom. 80 cubic in. with a horseshoe style oil tank. since my last post I inspected the check valve and bypass, they seem fine. confirmed that I have oil supplying the pump and that the oil return from the pump is clear. normally my bike sumps on first start of the year and it didn't this year. Mind you; it is hovering around zero through the day around here so the oil 20-50w is thick. may be a case that I am starving the oil pump? any thoughts> Your help would be much appreciated! Thanks

Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

YOu might be better off putting your question in the Evo forum area. Lots of Evo experience over there.

But at a quick guess, sounds like your oil is too cold. You say it's still zero degrees during the day. Your 20/50 oil is going to be like treacle at that temp. And if it has any water in it from condensation, it will be frozen to solid ice at zero degrees. Bring your bike inside and warm it up by the furnace overnight before trying to start it.

Or try the old dodge of put a bunch of barbecue charcoal on a shovel, light it off and when it settles down, slide it under the bike and let it warm the engine etc through for an hour or so.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

think the cold temp may have something to do with it too, You might try a halogen work light near the motor oil tan instead of burning charcoal.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
think the cold temp may have something to do with it too, You might try a halogen work light near the motor oil tan instead of burning charcoal.
LOL, prolly a lot safer too!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:59 AM
o0smitters0o
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea I'd definately easy. At 0deg 20w will have a hard time moving. Heat blanket on oil pan or surround bike with heaters. Get it up past 30deg if you can. It will flow better. It's really hard on the engine if that oil isn't flowing because of cold weather viscosity. It's kind of weird there is no oil in filter. Did you change oil at sometime and not start it. I always try to fill oil can 1/3 way or so. Enough that it doesn't spill out. I wore a battery out one year trying to start my Dyna. One winter it was 15deg. in the shed. I couldn't for my life understand what the problem was. Then it dawned on me, I'm trying move concrete through the oil system. I put some space heaters got new battery and it started. Then I read more about oil's. I hope it's just the cold nothing major good luck brother