Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Possible change to synthetic oil question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 05:18 PM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Possible change to synthetic oil question..

I recently purchased a 2010 Fat Boy Lo with 13,xxx miles. Since I have no idea of the oil change history, I am getting the oil, transmission and clutch oil all changed this week. My question is this. If I don't know the kind of oil this bike has been using, can I safely change to Amsol synthetic without any issues? Or should I just use regular oil and not take the chances?

Old 10-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Ok... why would you think putting syn in wouldn't be safe? Just curious.

To answer your question, use any brand syn you like. If you want to pay for Amsoil that's cool. That engine, tranny, and primary won't know the difference between Amsoil, Valvoline, Mobil, Lucas, etc. Just don't use anything with friction modifiers in the primary because of the clutch.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:43 PM
inkdemon
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes you can.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:14 AM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I was told that if your not sure what kind of oil has been used in it previously and the bike has over 10k miles on it. do not use synthetic. I will just go with what the mechanic recommends. Thanks for the comments.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:19 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Like the famous sport shoe manufacturer says..."Just Do it!"

Old 10-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
Ok... why would you think putting syn in wouldn't be safe? Just curious.

To answer your question, use any brand syn you like. If you want to pay for Amsoil that's cool. That engine, tranny, and primary won't know the difference between Amsoil, Valvoline, Mobil, Lucas, etc. Just don't use anything with friction modifiers in the primary because of the clutch.
Unless something has changed in the last year or two I do not believe this statement is totally correct. Last I heard was that there are ONLY 3 true, 100% synthetic oils ..... Mobil 1, Amsoil and Red Line.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:40 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jkiser
I was told that if your not sure what kind of oil has been used in it previously and the bike has over 10k miles on it. do not use synthetic. I will just go with what the mechanic recommends. Thanks for the comments.
Wow! I would wonder about that mechanic! That engine is just barely broken in at 13,000 miles. Get true synthetic in there asap! Unless of course you're the type that puts 10 or 20K on a bike and then moves on to another. In that case longevity of the engine is of no concern and the only benefit of the more expensive synthetics would be slightly cooler engine temps.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:19 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If your going with what your mechanic reccomends why did you even bother starting this tread. Use any oil you like, as long as its changed at a proper interval any of them will be fine

Old 10-12-2015, 07:38 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

"Good Idea Bro" ! I'm all about free choice.

Now for anyone reading this thread who is actually looking for a bit of info regarding oil. Check out other threads on the "Oil" section of this forum or go to "Bob The Oil Guy's" site, or,,, just look elsewhere,,,anywhere,,, cause jkiser's mechanic is wrong.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:03 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Davis
Unless something has changed in the last year or two I do not believe this statement is totally correct. Last I heard was that there are ONLY 3 true, 100% synthetic oils ..... Mobil 1, Amsoil and Red Line.
The original question asked was concerning synthetic oil. Didn't see any reference to supposed, "true 100% synthetic" oils.

Must have missed it.

Quick Reply: Possible change to synthetic oil question..