Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Shared Oil Pan? Dyna 96

Old 05-28-2016, 03:01 PM
bigtexasrob
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shared Oil Pan? Dyna 96

New to Harleys, new to the forum. Coming from sport bikes, I expect all the oil to be in the same place... Did some research first, which drain plugs, three fluids, all that. Drained the engine oil, filter and fill, everything's cool. Here's where the problems start.

Most of the images I see say that the transmission drain plug is on the exhaust side of the bike, either in the oil pan or on the transmission case below the trap door. The transmission case doesn't appear to have a drain plug on it (if you've got a picture, enlighten me) and both drain plugs in the pan have new, clean engine oil coming out of them. So, what's the deal? Are the engine and trans the same fluid? The dealership kindly told me they can't give me any information.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:04 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Engine and trans are separate fluids, the drain plugs make it look like they're co-mingled.

The engine oil you see could be:

A leaky O-ring on the oil drain plug and the wind is moving it around under the bike.

Same as above but primary fluid from the primary, either from the drain plug or other leak.

The trans drain plug O-ring is leaking and the PO used engine oil in the trans (HD suggested that for a while, I personally use transmission fluid 75w140)

There are three places for fluid in a big twin. Engine, Trans and Primary. All very separate systems.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:32 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,531 Likes on 3,054 Posts

On the drain pan, the engine oil plug faces forward on the left side and the tranny plug faces down on the right side.

The following users liked this post:
bigtexasrob (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM
bigtexasrob
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Stiggy
On the drain pan, the engine oil plug faces forward on the left side and the tranny plug faces down on the right side.
Right, but that's not what's coming out of there. Both dipsticks have clean oil on them too.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtexasrob
New to Harleys, new to the forum. Coming from sport bikes, I expect all the oil to be in the same place... Did some research first, which drain plugs, three fluids, all that. Drained the engine oil, filter and fill, everything's cool. Here's where the problems start.

Most of the images I see say that the transmission drain plug is on the exhaust side of the bike, either in the oil pan or on the transmission case below the trap door. The transmission case doesn't appear to have a drain plug on it (if you've got a picture, enlighten me) and both drain plugs in the pan have new, clean engine oil coming out of them. So, what's the deal? Are the engine and trans the same fluid? The dealership kindly told me they can't give me any information.
Crude view underneath.
Your bike has an engine sump that slings a small amount of oil but only from the dropping oil going to the pickup for the return side of the oil pump. Behind the engine is the transmission that is bolted on. Transmission has no filter or pump but is splash lubricated by almost a quart of gear oil.
Below the transmission is the tank for the engine oil. It is picked up by the pressure side of the dual rotor oil pump and pumped thru the oil filter thru the engine. That is the dropping oil I refer to in the first of my orientation.
The third source of oil is where the primary chain links the engine to the transmission. Primary has no filter or pump but is splash lubricated by almost a quart of gear oil.

Those magnets on the plugs are more for showing a bearing problem then anything else. However, fine fuzz is normal. Always replace those 3 small O-rings on the plugs unless you inspect them closely. Note they seal up in a bevel, and the steel bolt seats washer face to aluminum, so do not over tighten.

So you have 3 separate oil tanks. The latest recommendation by Harley is 20-50 Synthetic engine oil and Formula + gear oil in the primary and transmission. Use Harley's filter.

Get you a service manual and make sure of what you are draining. If you have the place, it's easy to service all three without a lift.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:29 AM
bigtexasrob
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Crude view underneath.
Your bike has an engine sump that slings a small amount of oil but only from the dropping oil going to the pickup for the return side of the oil pump. Behind the engine is the transmission that is bolted on. Transmission has no filter or pump but is splash lubricated by almost a quart of gear oil.
Below the transmission is the tank for the engine oil. It is picked up by the pressure side of the dual rotor oil pump and pumped thru the oil filter thru the engine. That is the dropping oil I refer to in the first of my orientation.
The third source of oil is where the primary chain links the engine to the transmission. Primary has no filter or pump but is splash lubricated by almost a quart of gear oil.

Those magnets on the plugs are more for showing a bearing problem then anything else. However, fine fuzz is normal. Always replace those 3 small O-rings on the plugs unless you inspect them closely. Note they seal up in a bevel, and the steel bolt seats washer face to aluminum, so do not over tighten.

So you have 3 separate oil tanks. The latest recommendation by Harley is 20-50 Synthetic engine oil and Formula + gear oil in the primary and transmission. Use Harley's filter.

Get you a service manual and make sure of what you are draining. If you have the place, it's easy to service all three without a lift.
Completely missed the point. Why is there engine oil coming out of both bolts and nowhere to drain the transmission?

Old 05-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Completely missed the point. Why is there engine oil coming out of both bolts and nowhere to drain the transmission?
Because someone used engine oil in both the engine and the tranny. Harley approves of running Syn 3 20W-50 in all 3 cavities. (Most of us don't but a lot of guys still do.)

The one that gives you 3 plus quarts is the motor and the other, the tranny.

The following users liked this post:
bigtexasrob (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 12:02 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Because someone used engine oil in both the engine and the tranny. Harley approves of running Syn 3 20W-50 in all 3 cavities. (Most of us don't but a lot of guys still do.)

The one that gives you 3 plus quarts is the motor and the other, the tranny.
Correct answer "except" it's a Dyna therefore should only be 2 1/2 quarts coming out of the engine.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

WoW right over my head..sorry

Old 05-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Correct answer "except" it's a Dyna therefore should only be 2 1/2 quarts coming out of the engine.
Details, details....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shared Oil Pan? Dyna 96