Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Let the great oil debate begin.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Juiced-Teddybear
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let the great oil debate begin.

I searched a little for previous topics as I know this has been asked before, but I could only find an older post about this, and I want the communities take.

Going into my 1,000 mile service I was initially told synthetic is the oil to go with. Price isn't an issue, but a second opinion from another dealer suggested conventional for new bikes at 1,000. Then switch to synthetic at 4k. The fellow at the other shop I spoke with discussed the problem with synthetic on a new bike is the break in period and it runs a bit thinner and the new bikes he's seen have responded better with conventional only initially then reiterating the switch at 4k.

2016 FXDF Fat Bob

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:20 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

This makes my head hurt :>)

Old 06-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Juiced-Teddybear
6th Gear

helpful!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:28 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

You could probably just flip a coin for all the difference it would make. I went with the Dealer and stayed on Dino till 4K rationalizing that I didn't want to maybe nudge a warranty issue into play before the break in period was behind me at least. Otherwise, I really don't think that in a new motor dino vs synthetic makes a lick of difference as long as you don't exceed scheduled change intervals. In the long run though, I'm a synthetics fan.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Damn, I hope your 10th post is better than this crap again. There are no less than 50 posts with hundreds of responses for you to review until you **** synthetic.....or dino.

Here's 500 or so to start

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/searc...rchid=35673545

Last edited by kishstl; 06-28-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Juiced-Teddybear
helpful!
Helpful ... Come on now ... This is THEE most discussed topic on this Forum ... There are pages and pages of "how to " ... "what to" ... "when to" ... "synthetic" ... Not trying to be a hard nose just addressing your ... "I searched a little for previous topics as I know this has been asked before"

Old 06-28-2016, 09:52 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

When I have had the cases open either by splitting, opening a cam case, or having the jugs off, then I run W40 non detergent about 10 miles, drain,then fill, in Winter 20-50 synthetic and Summer W50 synthetic with a slug of STP both seasons. Obviously on a new bike the cases have recently been open...

Since OP is at 1000 miles, in warranty period and all that, he's stuck with whatever the dealer does. Never mind what he says he's done... Though he'll probably do something fairly good....

The idea that, say, W50 synthetic is a lower viscosity than W50 non synthetic troubles me. At http://www.astm.org/SNEWS/JUNE_2004/lanhen_jun04.html there's a short technical article... No mention for some special way of measuring synthetic differently from petroleum derived lube oils that I can see. If I had an SAE handbook...but mine's lost (and they're 'spensive set of volumes)...if I had I'd look up viscosity measurement procedures to make sure, but I'm pretty sure now.

I call, if not bs, then material doubt about accuracy of reality behind this quote: "The fellow at the other shop I spoke with discussed the problem with synthetic on a new bike is the break in period and it runs a bit thinner and t..." I say the guy's mistaken.

My experience has been that HD motors live happier lives with W50, if the weather is 60 degrees or higher (memory on that number?).

Clean first quality and in specification...but the stp bit is for open-ness only - HD does not speak to STP - it's just my own druther - and I'd skip it in a new bike.

Last edited by pie plate; 06-28-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:35 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
So, You clicked on a thread titled :
Let the great oil debate begin.

,,,,, and were dismayed to find it was about oil ??
Good point. Sometimes I just can't help myself

Old 06-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Juiced-Teddybear
6th Gear

Couple of you had constructive feedback. Couple of you are classic forum turds. Seriously you guys are a dime a dozen. Careful you guys might fall off your magical online forum podium where you cast judgement and troll posts you disapprove of.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

"Juiced" ... as I stated earlier, the threads on this subject are unlimited. The fact that you're in a quandary as to which oil, or which recommendation to follow, isn't unique. However, getting input from several different dealers, service managers will only serve to further muddy the waters.

Everyone has an opinion ( and you do know all about opinions as reflected by your retort to my comment earlier ) based on ( generally ) what they heard from someone else.

I'll say that for the 50 years that I've been riding I've always ( and will continue to ) use conventional oil. It's always done the trick for me. That's my opinion based on years of owning and operating my own repair facility.

About the time I press "post quick reply" you can be sure another well versed rider will chime in with exactly the opposite based of his ( or her ) years of experience.

I can only wonder if you anguish as much at the local oil change facility when it's time to do a service in your car/truck? Probably not, I'd guess.

Here's hoping that you get it figured out, remembering that ( for the most part ) the input from most/all of us is just an opinion based on experiences that we have encountered. Maybe our experiences are/will be ( probably ) different than the ones that you will encounter.

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 06-28-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
pie plate (06-30-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let the great oil debate begin.