Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Lucas Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:13 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lucas Oil

I've copiedmy posts from last night over to this forum...Hoping for some helpful insight. (Sorry about the length of post).

I'm ready to do my 5k maintenance, probably tomorrow after a Memorial Day ride. I've beenwatching the forums and asking some questions about the qty and type of oil to use. I had decided to go with 4 qts of Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 (3 for the engine, 1 for the tranny)...but I couldn't find it anywhere!!! I called several local auto parts stores and most didn't carry it. Today I stopped in Autozone, Advance Auto and finally Pep Boys before I bought my oil. Since I couldn't find the Mobil, I picked up Lucas Oil @ $7 a quart.Does anyone have experience with Lucas Synthetic Racing Oil?? Is there something comparable but not so pricey? Or is it a good idea to go with a high quality oil from the start?

The bottle states the following:

-Racing Lucas Synthetic 20W-50
-Exceeds All American and European OEM Specs for API SM/SL/SJ/CF, ACEA A3-98, B3-98, B4-98, VW 500/502/503/505/506, Daimler Chrysler 229.1, BMW Longlife Oil.
-Lucas Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil is a blend of only the finest synthetic base oils plus an exclusive additive package that:

1) Guarantees lower oil temperature - longer oil life and less metal fatigue.
2) Provides a tougher, thicker oil film for maximum protection against metal to metal contact.
3) Has anti-sieze agents and lubricity agents for faster acceleration and more RPMs.
4) Protects against oil cavitation or foaming (important on high revving engines).
5) Resists breakdown from contact with racing fuels at least 50% longer than conventional racing oils.

"The perfect lubricant for the high temperatures of turbo charged engines."

"Slows oil burning and raises oil pressure in worn engines."

"Controls heat and wear in high performance heavy duty motorcycles, especially Harley Davidsons."

"Expect more miles/kilometers between overhauls."

What do you think? I've never done an oil change before on the Sporty, and want to be sure I'm ok using this oil. I plan on putting it in the engine and tranny, 3 qts in the engine, 1 qt in the tranny.

According to the service manual "acceptable diesel engine oil designations include CF, CF-4, CG-4 and CH-4." Went on their website lucasoil.com and read the following:

Lucas High-Performance Motorcycle Oils are the result of technology gained through years of blending motor oils and gear oils for the racing, industrial and agricultural industries.
Lucas Oil is trusted by professionals throughout the world to protect their racecars, trucks and machinery, and now you can trust it to protect your motorcycles and ATV’s!
Lucas offers a full line of motorcycle oils that far exceed all OEM specifications for the motorcycle and ATV industry. Lucas Motorcycle Oil will lower oil temperature, extend the life of your vital components, reduce noise, reduce leaks and increase performance. On top of all that, it will outlast other oils up to 4 times as long!
Lucas Motorcycle oils can be used in any motorcycle or ATV engine, air cooled or water cooled. Give Lucas a try and experience the results for yourself!
Available Weights: 20w50, 20w50 Synthetic, 5w20 Synthetic, 5w30 Synthetic, 10w30 Synthetic, 10w40 Semi-Synthetic, 50wt., 70wt.

Just don't wanna mess up the ride, that's why I'm asking all the questions... BTW, haven't seen Amsoil either.

I'm confused -- is there really that much difference between oils?? The bottle specifically states "Controls heat and wear in high performance heavy duty motorcycles, especially Harley Davidsons." It doesn't specifically say "motorcycle oil" on the front of the bottle, but it does meet the CF standard spec the service manual calls out. What d

Old 05-29-2007, 01:14 AM
bear95252
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lucas Oil

Why pay 20 grand for a bike and put cheap oil in it. The worst synthetic is better than the best dino oil. Go to this link and read about all the synthetic oils that are sold for use in Motorcycles and make your own decision. http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf I personally do not like Lucas products as the make claims they can't back up with facts. I am an AMSOIL dealer and I deal in facts all day long. There are a lot better choices than Lucas in My humble opinion. If you want AMSOIL let me know and I will help you get it.

Bear

Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM
scott4911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucas oil is great oil. You need to get the Lucas Syn. 20-50 Motorcycle oil. It's different from what you are looking at.

Amsoil is good oil, but you can't buy it at O'Reilly's, or very many places. I've only found one place to buy it in all of Oklahoma, but you can buy Lucas at any O'Reilly auto parts place. And if I'm out running around, I know I can come up with a quart when I need one without having to buy a case at a time..

Old 05-30-2007, 11:24 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The reply I received back from Lucas Oil --

Thanks for looking to Lucas for your Cycle Solutions. Lucas 20w50 Synthetic
Racing Oil would be great in that Harley. The only thing better would be to
go with Lucas Synthetic SAE 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil, part # 10702. We'd also
recommend adding 3oz of Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer per quart of oil
capacity in both crankcase and transmission. This would be the best by a
nose over the Lucas Racing Oil.
Thanks again,
John Mingus

I looked around the other forums for a while and I ended up doing my oil change tonight. I hadn't returned the Lucas Oil yet, so I ended up using it based partly on the reply I received from the company, also on some opinions I saw on the forums. I know, their people are going to support and promote their products, but I decided to give it a try. I also have three quarts of Syn3 I picked up yesterday so I can change if Ihave any issues with the Lucas product. Everything went smoothly until I got to the primary/transmission oil change. When I tried to remove the derby cover I didn't have the proper size Torx bit, but fortunately my nieghbor did. I then found that the opening in behind the derby wasn't very large, so I decided to use the primary inspection cover opening to refill the oil. I used HD Formula + in the transmission. I'll see how the Lucas Oil performs and the Formula +. Next change I'll try the HD Syn3 in the engine and possibly Mobil 1 in the tranny. I've seen a number of opinions on what brand and weight is best for each application, I guess I'll try a variety and see what works best for me. So far I haven't noticed a big difference in the shifting or tranny operation and I've heard that some brands tend to quiet down the noise. In the meantime I'll browse the forums and try to gain some insight.Thanks for all the help.