Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Considering changing oil to Amsoil in a 95 Road King FLHR. What do you think?

Old 06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
noacon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering changing oil to Amsoil in a 95 Road King FLHR. What do you think?

I have for some time been considering changing the engine oil I use in my 95 Road King FLHR from Harley’s 20w50 regular Oil to Amsoil 20w50. What, if any ill side affects will this cause in a 95 Evo 1340 with 19,000 miles? Just trying to get better temp. resistance, lubrication , etc. The Scooter runs fine now and uses no oil to speak of. Any Pro's? Any Con's?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 03:35 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Considering changing oil to Amsoil in a 95 Road King FLHR. What do you think?

As long as you use an approved oil, you will be fine. Switch if it makes you feel better.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:59 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Considering changing oil to Amsoil in a 95 Road King FLHR. What do you think?

ORIGINAL: noacon

I have for some time been considering changing the engine oil I use in my 95 Road King FLHR from Harley’s 20w50 regular Oil to Amsoil 20w50. What, if any ill side affects will this cause in a 95 Evo 1340 with 19,000 miles? Just trying to get better temp. resistance, lubrication , etc. The Scooter runs fine now and uses no oil to speak of. Any Pro's? Any Con's?
No cons for changing to Amsoil or any other high-quality synthetic, but considering the age of the bike I would change it quickly several times before settling in on a standard drain interval. Fossil oil will oxidize more readily than synthetics and that causes sludge to form, and although your engine is very low mileage to be so old it could be subject to sludge and varnish formation from using the fossil oil. Most high-quality synthetics have excellent detergent properties and will likely clean the sludge out in time, which ends up suspended in the oil and contaminating it. If it was my bike I would buy some less-expensive but also excellent Mobil 1 15w50 to purge the system, then start with the oil of your choice. I would change at 2-3k intervals for at least two changes, then settle in with 5k (or whatever) intervals.

If your engine is severely sludged, the sludge and varnish can mask weak gaskets and/or seals and cause leakage. There's an old urban myth that synthetic oil causes engines to leak, but that isn't categorically so. It is true that it can unmask problems with gaskets by removing sludge. I've changed from fossil to synthetic before and never had such problems, however. My old RK had 9k when I bought it, and my present car had 34k, both having run only fossil oil before that time.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:30 AM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: noacon

No cons for changing to Amsoil or any other high-quality synthetic, but considering the age of the bike I would change it quickly several times before settling in on a standard drain interval. Fossil oil will oxidize more readily than synthetics and that causes sludge to form, and although your engine is very low mileage to be so old it could be subject to sludge and varnish formation from using the fossil oil. Most high-quality synthetics have excellent detergent properties and will likely clean the sludge out in time, which ends up suspended in the oil and contaminating it. If it was my bike I would buy some less-expensive but also excellent Mobil 1 15w50 to purge the system, then start with the oil of your choice. I would change at 2-3k intervals for at least two changes, then settle in with 5k (or whatever) intervals.

If your engine is severely sludged, the sludge and varnish can mask weak gaskets and/or seals and cause leakage. There's an old urban myth that synthetic oil causes engines to leak, but that isn't categorically so. It is true that it can unmask problems with gaskets by removing sludge. I've changed from fossil to synthetic before and never had such problems, however. My old RK had 9k when I bought it, and my present car had 34k, both having run only fossil oil before that time.

I agree with iclick about cleaning out the engine although it's not likely that you have a sludge problem with the mileage you report.
You might consider simply changing the filter at a couple of short intervals instead of the oil. As iclick stated, the AMSOIL or other quality synthetic has good detergent qualities. By changing the filter only, you allow the oils detergents to continue to work while catching the suspended contaminates in the filters.
Beyond that...you'll be doing your motorcycle a big favor by installing AMSOIL.
Have a great riding season!

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
The AMSOIL Guy

Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 AM
noacon
Intermediate

First of all I want to apologize for taking so long to reply. I have been away from my computer on business. I really appreciate the sound advice from everyone. I purchased the oil and filter’s today and will change this weekend.

Thanks again!!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 AM
runnwild1
Advanced

86 FLHT w/ 22,000 miles on it..
I use Amsoil exclusively. Dislike of marketing strategy would not be a just reason to switch to a inferior oil. My engine temp dropped about 15 degrees in normal riding and definately notice the difference on hot days in stop and go traffic situations. Pay $20 and become a preferred customer and the 20-50 full syn is $6.90 ($9.25 sugg retail) . This year I'm going with the 20-50 in my primary also>10-40 last year. I use the SVG 75-90 in my tranny, like the way it shifts over the 20-50 in my bike originally. Using their oil filter I think the change interval is approx 8,000 miles or 1 year,whichever comes first. As a preferred customer it cost me about $11.50 (approx $15.00 sugg retail). That was the chrome model. One thing for sure, I will not use HD oil!! they make motorcycles, not oil! Go to the amsoil site and check out the data and tests and just about all the oils you guys are using out perform HD oil products. I think mobil 1 full syn for v-twins comes in second. But it is important to buy an oil designed for v-twin motors for the crankcase. You can find an Amsoil Dealer near you from their site.They also carry fork oil, etc.. Here are the independent testing results on overall performance:#1) Amsoil MCV #2) Mobil 1 V-Twin #3) BMW #4) Torco T 4SR #5) Golden Spectro 4 #6) Screaming Eagle Syn 3 #7) Golden spectro american 4 #8) Royal Purple Max Cycle #9) Motul 300V Comp #10) Bel-Ray EXS.

Sidebar>>> i remembered that a mechanic at work was an Amsoil dealer 20 yrs ago. i saw him the other day and asked if it was a flash in the pan and what oils he used in his vehicles now !! Still using Amsoil. In his newer vehicle (auto) he uses their best full syn and filter and follows the recommended change interval of 25,000 or 1 year,whichever comes first. All in all it's a personal choice, a matter of preference. Sorry about length. [align=right]
[/align]