Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Basics, Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:25 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasf59
Just bought a 2010 Heritage 1850 miles, has synthetic oil in it now will it hurt to switch back to non synthetic?

thanks
Not at all, it will not hurt a bit. Not one, not even a little, doesnt matter.

(not that it matters but just so you know, its all oil, if it says synthetic, its still oil from the ground, it was just refined an extra step, there are VERY FEW oils made from something else that makes it a true synthetic. It would be labeled ester, still wouldnt matter though, its all just oil or in the case of VERY, very, very few expensive ester based oil, just another liquid made to act like oil)

The following users liked this post:
kap1 (09-26-2017)
Old 10-03-2015, 03:01 PM
smgallagher82
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am about to revive an old thread... I am about to change the transmission, primary, and engine oils. I have been doing a lot of thought and research and a seeking the advice from a lot of avid riders. I am looking to put Valvoline 4stroke 20W50 for the primary and engine, and Lucas 75W140 for the transmission. Has anyone consistently used these, known anyone to use, or have any thoughts on either of the two products. I live in North Carolina on the coast and I ride year round. My ride is a 2005 Night Train with about 27,000mi, V&H staggered straight shots w/ baffles removed, and S&S Super E Carb. I bought it with 20,000mi and the mentioned mods (I removed baffles), I've been told it sounds like the cams (not sure) have been replaced due to sound at idle.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:32 AM
Bouts001
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,

Just a quick question, My Nightrain have been standing for 6 months due to me not being around to ride it as a result of my work, so do I need to do a oil change before I start her up again? When it comes to mechanics I am totally lost. Bike was serviced and all about 500miles ago.....

Thanx

Old 06-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,484 Likes on 4,605 Posts

No oil change needed, 6 months is a standard storage time for many bikes in northern climates.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Bouts001
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
No oil change needed, 6 months is a standard storage time for many bikes in northern climates.
Thanx for the feedback, much appreciated.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by smgallagher82
I am about to revive an old thread... I am about to change the transmission, primary, and engine oils. I have been doing a lot of thought and research and a seeking the advice from a lot of avid riders. I am looking to put Valvoline 4stroke 20W50 for the primary and engine, and Lucas 75W140 for the transmission. Has anyone consistently used these, known anyone to use, or have any thoughts on either of the two products. I live in North Carolina on the coast and I ride year round. My ride is a 2005 Night Train with about 27,000mi, V&H staggered straight shots w/ baffles removed, and S&S Super E Carb. I bought it with 20,000mi and the mentioned mods (I removed baffles), I've been told it sounds like the cams (not sure) have been replaced due to sound at idle.
I've used Lucas products in both my bikes.You will like their transmission oil.It will shift nice.Their primary and engine oil are easy to get in any store.Use it with confidence.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:30 AM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I hate oil post everybody either over complicates or over simplify and the oil they use is the only right oil to use. Every motor design is different needing a different type of oil not to count the season temperature. what is right for Joe Blow may be wrong for you. All oil specs for your bike are in your manual . If you don't have a manual get 1. A good grade of oil (most name brands are good) that meets the specs of your bike is ok to use. Depending on how and where you ride you may need to change your oil more often. There is no such thing as changing your oil too much. I personally change mine 6-8 times a year and use 3 different weights depending on the season, but that's me and I have an older bike that takes more maintenance. Learn what good and old oil looks and smells like that is how you decide when to change your oil. If you don't get some on the tip of your nose every now and then you're doing it wrong.

Eagle110 (01-17-2020)
Old 06-04-2022, 12:01 AM
Glennstur
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Group V
Group V oils are ester based synthetics. They made from diester, polyolestors, polyesters, and complex esters. They are extremely stable under high pressure, and resist heat, often to near 500º F. They are polar molecules, containing an electrical charge that causes them to bond to metal surfaces. These oils are the most expensive of typically available motorcycle oils. The Redline brand are Group V oils, and are reasonably priced. I've also seen some Group V oil for upwards of $32 per quart. However, some of these synthetics are being mixed with Group IV oils and are available at reasonable prices.
What category do the triple functional oils fall under like the Lucas and the Harley Syn3 that can be used in Engine / Gearbox / Primary? I have used the Lucas brand recently for all three and am wondering if that is a healthy choice.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:16 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Original was written some 17 years ago. No idea what Syn3 is now, nor the Lucas. Might try searching BITOG, Bob is the Oil Guy, site for some info. That said, I've used the Syn3 in all 3 holes years ago, but was not a fan. Noisy to me. YMMV.

Glennstur (06-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2023, 06:29 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,305 Likes on 1,334 Posts

one simple question, regular oil will go the full 5k interval just fine, right? The dealer has told me that 2500 miles is max but I can find nothing in my book so I assume he is just rotating my wallet

Quick Reply: Oil Basics, Part 1