Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Basics, Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
DaFish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I REALLY believe that you should run Tranny oil in the tranny.

The shock load on the gears is worth it to me. JMO

DaFish

Old 02-02-2009, 01:21 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

What do you base your belief on? And what about shock load? Is it good or bad?,,

Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for the information that i could have not found elsewhere. i got my newest harley, an 08 sg that i intend on keeping, so i used royal purple, but it doubled in price in the past six months. now i've got syn3 for the next change, but am really considering using shell rotella synthetic that is for diesel engines=trucks, etc. having owned a couple of over the road trucks through the years, i'm sorta sold on the older rotella, so the synthetic would seem to be the best of both worlds, and they ain't a gonna be yankin the price through the roof like royal purple did.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK how much in each of the three holes? 98 evo
Chabuya

Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

yea!! never use an ounce of so called motorcycle oil in my life, matter of fact, what ever was handy at the time without regard to weight. 1974 ch with 150k on the clock and a 01 xls with 16k very aggressive miles on the clock. never an oil issue!!!

is it something special i do, h_ _ _ no!!! just good maintenance and the fact that i bought new and did not inherit someone else's problems. anyone can do it for sure!!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Dakota Renegade
Cruiser

Part 2 is another very helpful post. Thanx

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 AM
axel black
Road Captain

oil related post are allways fun to read. keep up the good post on subject. thanks.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only changed my oil only two times. Once very sucessfully about 5,000 miles ago and (*&%#$*&) today. I had just got back from a 70 mile ride before I started and let it set for about 20 minutes to cool down a little, but it was still warm. Then then drained the oil.

I have a 2007 softail and use Mobil 1 synthetic. So I drained the oil with the filler plug out and I replaced the oil filter just like before. Last time I put in 3 quarts and it was a tiny bit on the full side. Today I put in 1 quart and started to put in the second quart and it has full up into the filler neck. Hmmm?

So I took a nice slow ride around the block and checked the oil level again....Way, way full and I can see the oil just below the filler neck. So I rode it to the gas station just a mile away and back and the oil level is the same... Way full after adding only one and a half quarts or less.

It would seem that all the oil didn't drain out? When I pulled the drain plug I let the pan drain for ay least 10 minutes intil it stopped draining and some of the time I was on it to hold the bike vertical some more might drain out. I pulled the filter like last time with the bike on the kick stand so it would also drain out. Not as much came out of the filter hole as I remembered last time, but I did let it drain over 10 minutes.

So do I just ride it and frequently check the oil level? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by Danny D; 12-03-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Danny

Is it possible you didn't pull the filler plug for the tank when you drained the oil this causing a vacuum to retain some of the old oil in the tank ?

Always pull the filler plug before draining the oil HOT so it will drain completely and stand the bike up straight too. I always like to idle the engine for a minute or so (softails) straight up and level just before dropping the oil. It purges the engine sump better doing that for a more complete drain.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I would check the trans for any signs of oil. You might have pulled the wrong drain plug and now the trans is dry.,,

Quick Reply: Oil Basics, Part 2