Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Basics, Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:50 PM
hdng
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ok great inf, thanks, you saved me a bunch of money lol

Old 12-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Ridewright Wheels
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And you can get 99% of the benefits of a synthetic by using only 25% of the volume of it, mixed with dino oil. It is absolutely true that "synthetic" doesn't mean "better". There are good and bad in both varieties, so knowing what attributes to look for in an oil or grease, and understanding what you might be doing that's beyond the bike manufacturer's intended application is key to making the right choice of lubricants.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably just being dumb here, but can i use an oil additive in synthetic oil
ive seen this stuff and it says you can add it to synthetic
www.everglideoil.com/everglide-synthetic
but has anyone ever done this type of thing before
cheers
Mal

Last edited by motorcyclemal; 03-23-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Mal, every oil we can buy is stuffed full of additives. While any given bottle we pick up contains 'oil', a fair proportion is a cocktail of additives, which each brand will make up to its own secret recipe. If you use a well-known brand of oil, recommended for your bike, then use it as it comes. I really don't believe there is anything to be gained by adding yet more 'stuff' to it!

The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
motorcyclemal (03-24-2017), smitty901 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:09 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,605 Likes on 5,173 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcyclemal
I'm probably just being dumb here, but can i use an oil additive in synthetic oil
ive seen this stuff and it says you can add it to synthetic
www.everglideoil.com/everglide-synthetic
but has anyone ever done this type of thing before
cheers
Mal
If you need oil additives you are using the wrong oil. In some case additives work against you. There is no magic additive you can put in your oil that will do much of anything the right oil will not do.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:22 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate

Hiya mate thanks for the info- i moved to Greece recently and the summers here are harsh- someone over here told me they used an additive and i thought that made sense- Their are no HD dealers here and people tend to do anything to keep things going.
Mal

Old 03-24-2017, 05:55 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smitty901
If you need oil additives you are using the wrong oil. In some case additives work against you. There is no magic additive you can put in your oil that will do much of anything the right oil will not do.
You cant always get the good stuff over here, i think thats why people use additives-

Old 03-25-2017, 04:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by motorcyclemal
You cant always get the good stuff over here, i think thats why people use additives-
H-D does have a Greek website, the only problem is it's all in Greek! I can't make out if there are dealers over there, but if you don't read Greek perhaps a local friend can guide you through it. It's not beyond the wit of man to buy in oils, or cross an International border for some, depending on where you're located?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
H-D does have a Greek website, the only problem is it's all in Greek! I can't make out if there are dealers over there, but if you don't read Greek perhaps a local friend can guide you through it. It's not beyond the wit of man to buy in oils, or cross an International border for some, depending on where you're located?
I think theres a Harley dealer in Athens, but i live on one of the islands and theres no HD dealer here. I think thats why the few Harley riders here use additives in their oil. The bikes tend to be older Sportys and Shovels and they recon it keeps them going longer.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member

If that is so then definitely don't do what they do! Shovels and older vehicles, of all brands, were built to very different standards than modern vehicles like your bike, are probably also well worn by now. If you have the owners manual for your bike you will see that when Harley oils are not available you should use oils for diesel engines. Use that as your guide. If you don't have a manual, you can download one from the US H-D website, just go to the Owners tab.

Quick Reply: Oil Basics, Part 2