Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

I HATE AMSOIL synthetic oil !

Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HATE AMSOIL synthetic oil !

I HATE AMSOIL synthetic oil !
Why ? what is it about AMSOIL that get people in such an up roar ? something like this below ?
[1972
AMSOIL
is formed and markets re-labeled MIL specification oils to motoring public through multi-level "pyramid" type organization.]
A multi-level "pyramid" type organization ? WTF is up with that ? yes this was at a competitor synthetic site ! a "re-labeled" MIL spec ? did the MIL spec contain "how to make synthetic oil" the recipe ? or what it must be able to do, in protecting types of motors that the military owns ?
I am just amazed how many people on this forum have this HATE for that company ? without a bit of concrete proof ! as far as I seen. So lets get it on, show me what you got ?
What proof do you have that "AMSOIL paid for" independent lab tests are fake or borderline not true or out right lies ?
You know show me a suite brought by some of the "named" companies out there selling "synthetic oil" like the Mobil, Redline, Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec, HDSyn3, Shell and all the other ones mention in AMSOIL tests, show me a competitors ad, stating AMSOIL is wrong or lying because of this test ? in other words show me something, besides a lot of hot air.
But can we agree on this ?
All companies have legal departments, is it safe to say that all claims made by a company, about their product, first goes through their legal department before advertising ? is it safe to say, that if a legal department gives the ok to advertise, on their company claims of "naming brand names" their competitors, the companies they are at WAR with, making superior claims that AMSOIL product is "better" than theirs, and it turns out to be "False or Fixed lab test", would AMSOIL be open for a lawsuit ?
You bet your sweet a$$ AMSOIL would be, it just comes down to that, common sense, think of all the ads you seen for array of different products, "it’s taste" just like the "high price spread" but the margarine doesn’t name a brand name butter just a generic name, it’s advertising it works like that, but if Ford came out with an ad stating this Ford car in it’s class passing front head-on crashes far better than any make of car, it’s no big deal, no brand names were mention, if they stated Ford model is far better than GM,BMW, Mercedes etc. they better have their ducks in a row (independent testing), because they would be getting sued or at least a competing ads showing it wasn’t true, we have companies reputations and sales (money) at stake here, this is big businesses not no lemon aid stand down the street, when you show Mobile coming in second, the ducks better be, in a row ?
Just please don’t come here like this person did on a post about AMSOIL !
["I've said this numerous times before, and believe me I know "It's my job"!! Watch the Amsoil!! It may not be what you think it is - - - OR READ!!!!"]
Response:
"ok, I’ll play, what do you got !!!"
[left][c

Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I HATE AMSOIL synthetic oil !

We are all intitled to our own opinion, I use Amsoil and I like it, I have had it tested by an indipendent oil lab and the results that came back were very impressive. It may not be for everyone but I'm sold onit. ROAD HAWG
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have personally used Amsoil now for almost 4 years and am very satisfied. I can tell you that with HD syn3,and some others including HD360 that my bike uses about one half quart in 3,000 miles which is not bad.With Amsoil I use none even on long hot trips where I have gone as high as 5,000 miles plus without a change or having to add in between. The only time my bike has ever ran hot was with HD Syn 3 in it. The Amsoil also looks cleaner when I change it. I have never used Redline or Royal Purple in motorcycles but have done so in cars and trucks and was pleased. So I will stick with Amsoil as I believe it to be the best from my experience and not because of their report which I have read recently. You should try it.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

cj_slowdown: I remember that comment as well. I think I have it filed in my collection of ******** posts. Just another (sexual intellectual). Websters translation= ***** head.
Ron

Old 10-28-2007, 11:05 PM
amstaffs
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have use mobilr 1 and royal purlpe and also syn 3 i have switched to amsoil after watching how my scoot acts towards them all.. She runs 20 degrees cooler and alot smoother.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay cj, do you really want to re-open this can of worms again? Evidently so. You want some of what I got? Well here goes. Some of us on this forum are actually intelligent enough to base our opinons on facts and experience, rather than,some oil analysis paper/essay/report.
As stated earlier by RoadHawg, we all are entitled to our own opinion. To those that are happy with Amsoil and their products, I say that is wonderful for you to have found a product you aresatisfied with. However, I don't want, or need you to try to convince me that it is the ultimate lubricant and save-all for the internal combustion engine.
I have been an automotivemechanic since the mid 1960's. I've built, rebuilt, modified, customized, hot-rodded and drag raced more vehicles than any sane man has a right to do. During that time, I used all kinds and brands of lubricants, Some were good, some not.
In the mid 1970's, Amsoil was just gaining some popularity, and was touted as the absolute best lubricant ever invented. The oil was priced at $5.00 per qt. and the filters were $15.00 ea. Recommended service interval was 5,000 miles.
I had a customer that was totally sold on the Amsoil product and was convinced that it was the greatest invention since sliced bread.
Both, he and I purchased brand new vehicles at the same time. A pact was made that he would use only Amsoil in the engine, and follow the recommended service interval for 100K miles in his vehicle. I, on the other hand would maintain my vehicle with good ol' Valvoline oil and Hastings or Wix filters at a service interval of 3,000 miles, for 100K miles.
At 100k miles both engines were removed from the vehicles, torn down, inspected and measured for wear. The results were quite interesting. First of all, neither engine was any cleaner on the inside than the other. There was no sludge andminimal ash deposits inboth. All main and rod bearings in both engines were just starting to wear into the copper. There was no measurable wear on either crankshaft. The timing gears and chain were worn the same amount. The camshaft and lifters were worn the same, all lifters were worn concave on the bottoms. The valve guides in both engines were worn .001 oversized. The rubber valve guide seals were hard and brittle on both engines. And most importantly, all cylinders on both engines were wornwith .006 -.008 taper.
Conclusion: Amsoil was NO better than good ol' Valvoline. Amsoil was NO worse than good ol' Valvoline. The ONLY real difference between the two was the cost for maintenance. Amsoil $40.00 for each service. Valvoline $12.00 for each service. Do the math, my customer spent $400.00 more than I did for the same amount of wear and tear on his engine. The other lesson learned here was that regular maintenance is the best thing for your engine and, for the most part, will prevent you from having a major engine failure in your vehicle.
So my friend, as stated earlier, some of us here, have been there, done that, and have the T shirt to prove it.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 AM
bear95252
Cruiser

There is only one thing I can see that is not quite true and that is the Drain interval. I am sure you changed oil ever 5K as you stated but, Since day one, the AMSOIL drain interval has been 25.000 miles or one year, which ever came first. If you had followed that drain recommendation then the results in the tear down would have most likely been the same but the AMSOIL user would have won hands down on the cost. That has been the principle advantage of using Synthetic oil from the get go. Extended drain intervals..

I personally think one should use what ever oil he or she is comfortable with. After all, it is your money. If you can't get your mind around following the recommended drain intervals that are suggested by the Synthetic oil Manufacturers then there is no-monetary advantage in paying more for a premium oil.

Of course there are many other reasons for using synthetics that have been beaten to death here over and over again. Lastly, synthetics have come a long way since the 70's.

NOTE. The first can of AMSOIL ever sold had the following printed on the label "25,000 miles or one year GUARANTEED"

Just wanted to keep the facts straight..

Bear

Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People may not like the company who make Amsoil, or may not like their selling ethitics. I myself must agree that their oil tests are a little missleading to say the least. But after all they are in buisness to make money so it should come as no great surprise that they appear to tailor their tests to suit their oils characteristics. The 4 ball wear test always makes me chuckle, as thats exactly the same environment that your engines internals have to deal with....NOT.

That said I do think they produce a fine oil, its just not as perfect as they would have you believe, but you are unlikely to go far wrong if you choose the correct version of their oils for your required task.

Now I really dont want to lock horns with any of the other posters either, and certainly not those with a vastly greater experience than I. It must however be considered that just because an oil works very well in one type of engine, operated in a specific type of vehicle, does not mean it will work as well in another. It may perform just as well, but it also may not. A water cooled engine running a large oil capacity will have different requirements to an air cooled engine with a reletively small oil capacity.

I know I keep banging on about this in other threads, but really the only way to tell if your choice of oil suits your habits, environment and engine is to get a UOA. Start at say 3000 miles if you like and see what happens, if all is well extend to 4000 and so on. I personally wouldnt go much further than 1000 miles over the manufacturers service intervals even if the UOA looked like it could, but thats just me, and my own reasoning, which may not be as good as yours.

If you hate a company, or its ethics,thats fine, we both live in free countries, thank god, but that dont mean that company makes a bad product.

Just MHO which may be bull$#!^ of course

WB

Old 10-29-2007, 04:44 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i guess it can't get any planner than that.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Road Hawg

We are all intitled to our own opinion, I use Amsoil and I like it, I have had it tested by an indipendent oil lab and the results that came back were very impressive. It may not be for everyone but I'm sold onit. ROAD HAWG
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
"Road Hawg"
"We are all intitled to our own opinion, I use Amsoil and I like it, I have had it tested by an indipendent oil lab and the results that came back were very impressive. It may not be for everyone but I'm sold on it . ROAD HAWG "
Road Hawg, no bud, this post has nothing whats so ever to do with "personal opinion" personal opinion is what was posted over, time in and time out, over and over again on this oil topic, people who open their mouths banging the crap out of AMSOIL, with only their "opinions" sure there are the people who use it and like it, as you, me and others, then there are the people who come down on this synthetic oil with everything but the toilet paper there opinions are wiped on !
So please nothing against you, I don’t want "opinions" I want facts ! why AMSOIL is not up to their ads ? is those independent lab tests fakes or lies ? and is what AMSOIL selling to the public is a "pyramid type organization" etc. etc.
But in the end, I believe this is going to be the shortest post on an oil topic ever or I am hanging out like a piñata doll, ready to get torn to pieces, but whatever the out come, it will speak volumes !
Take care,
cj

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I HATE AMSOIL synthetic oil !