Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.73%
Amsoil filter
7.42%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.88%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by 1OldeHarleyFart!
K&N or Harley. Chrome or black. Anybody using thr re-usable filters out ther? What are your thoughts/findings in comparing the merits of one as opposed to standard disposable? How do you clean it without making a mess? Wash oil out and it goes where? Just wondering
Been using PC Racing FLO permanent oil filters for ages on both track/sport bikes and my HD's; I've got 4 of the FLO oil filters

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

That review will give you an outline of how the FLO compares to the typical paper filters; a quick review of absolute vs nominal oil filter ratings will show the absolute ratings of permanent filters is superior to the myth of the HD '5 micron' oil filter. The permanent filters have increased oil flow rates, superior filtration, and reduced parasitic pumping loss.

Cleaning them is a simple process of spraying out the stainless mesh screen with brake cleaner from the inside out and wiping down the billet housing with a paper towel. Takes only a minute or so and it's ready to go back on the bike.

The PCS4 fits HD; comes in either polished or black. Best pricing is on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

One of my PCS4C's on my Wide Glide; version 1 of my oil filter relocation. Version 2 is a full billet engine adapter, fittings, hose, and connector upgrade. I need to take some new images!

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 02-19-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added image...
The following users liked this post:
WiSeNhEiMeR (07-06-2018)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:27 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
There is no cardboard valve in a Fram Filter.

Fram filters use a rubber anti-drainback valve...

The filter caps are paper, but what the hell, almost every oil filter element is paper...

Still the shittiest oil filter on the planet.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:46 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Been using PC Racing FLO permanent oil filters for ages on both track/sport bikes and my HD's; I've got 4 of the FLO oil filters

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

That review will give you an outline of how the FLO compares to the typical paper filters; a quick review of absolute vs nominal oil filter ratings will show the absolute ratings of permanent filters is superior to the myth of the HD '5 micron' oil filter. The permanent filters have increased oil flow rates, superior filtration, and reduced parasitic pumping loss.

Cleaning them is a simple process of spraying out the stainless mesh screen with brake cleaner from the inside out and wiping down the billet housing with a paper towel. Takes only a minute or so and it's ready to go back on the bike.

The PCS4 fits HD; comes in either polished or black. Best pricing is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/PC-Racing-PCS...keywords=pcs4c

One of my PCS4C's on my Wide Glide; version 1 of my oil filter relocation. Version 2 is a full billet engine adapter, fittings, hose, and connector upgrade. I need to take some new images!

This was the best info on that whole shill website:

"Cleanable re-usable Stainless Steel oil filter is nice it’s also a dream to think that this type of media will offer the same level of protection as the more common oil filter media found in the industry which is cellulose, synthetic or a bland of cellulose/synthetic.
Flo is not the first manufacturer/marketer of such type of filter and from my filtration experience (29 years) many people found out the hard way that such filter will result in a shorter life of an engine.
The use of such filter will not cause any problem short term but will leave damaging size contaminants (15 to 25 microns) do their work and result in a shortened engine useful life.
They claim that this type of filter capture items down to 35 microns but they never state the efficiency. They rave on to say that it is 3 times better then paper or brass media.
It might capture items down to 35 microns like a window screen but without tested efficiency rating that figure is meaningless.
I had a customer who use similar built filters on their fleet of Highway Tractors running Detroit Diesel Series 60 Engine.
They ran them on their 6 trucks and everything was fine for the first 6 months (~70,000 KM or 42,000 miles) and the engine started to burn oil then they had two engine failures.
After the analysis by the local Detroit Diesel authorized service depot, they concluded that the filters where not providing the proper level of protection.
They left contaminants run in the engine which cause abnormal wear on the internal engine components (Crankshaft Bearings, Camshaft Bearings, Piston rings) and they voided the warranty because of the lack of efficiency of those type of filters.
The manufacturer of these cleanable filter did offer a warranty but when came time to collect they were under Chapter 11 and never got out of it.
As the saying goes, you can use whatever you want on your equipment but it is your responsibility to make sure that what you use meet the manufacturer’s specification.
Using these type of products, you are condemning you engine to a slow death. My 2 cents, if you have your engines that much, go ahead and use these type of products. If you want to save even more, do not bother with oil or/and oil filter changes.
FYI, the reason that manufacturers do not have any specifications in their applications guides and website is that they do not want to start a number war without any laboratory test results.
A nice website to learn a little bit about filters (Aftermarket Automotive Suppliers Association). Another one providing some training on different type of filters (Engine oil, fuel, air, hydraulic & Coolant) is Baldwin Filter; look at the right side, the circle with the right arrow for each type of filters."

WiSeNhEiMeR (07-06-2018)
Old 04-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each their own as to what filter they run. I like and use K&P billet oil filter and in my opinion is far superior to any filter OEM or other wise.

Last edited by Diesel2; 04-14-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Diesel2
Cruiser

The PCS4 looks the same as the K&P oil filter. The only difference is the PCS4 has a nut on on the end for easier removal. My filter number is S4 from K&P. Put the PC in front of K&P part number and the same??????

Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 AM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I use twin Wix but Fram and K&N are good and all 3 come in chrome. filters are way more complicated than most think. Harley is NOT a high flow oil system. A finer micron will restrict flow on a filter and cause the bypass to open giving you little to no filtering. Any filter is good these days as long as it meets manufacture specs

Minister1955 (04-16-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Jeff Larsen
Stage III
Default AMSOIL and the M8?

I recently traded off my 2012 Street Glide for a 2018 Road Glide Ultra, I used AMSOIL in the SG, just curious if any of you M8 owners are using AMSOIL and if so are you liking it? I will be honest I do sell AMSOIL as a second job so I am partial to it. I would just like to hear some input on the new engine.

Thanks

Last edited by Jeff Larsen; 12-28-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:07 PM
WiSeNhEiMeR
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil FILTERS --- NOT --- OIL

Kinda' DRIFTED a bit OFF topic - NOT ???

Oil FILTERS

NOT oil for an 8-valve Harley

Jeff Larsen (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Jeff Larsen
Stage III

Sorry I will delete it, Thanks and Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Jeff Larsen
Stage III

Originally Posted by WiSeNhEiMeR
Kinda' DRIFTED a bit OFF topic - NOT ???

Oil FILTERS

NOT oil for an 8-valve Harley
I will try to delete sorry

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use