Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Blue smoke at startup

Old 05-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Curly61
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Blue smoke at startup

My problem is I recently purchased a 2000 FXDWG with 20,000 miles on it and it ran great and still does however I changed the oil and filter using Harley Davidson 20w50 regular oil and of course an HD filter . My question is now when I start it up I am getting oil smoke like its burning oil is it ? OR .... I have come up with a couple of scenarios 1) Did it have synthetic oil in it prior cause I know you should not switch back ? 2) Is it overfilled ? It is sitting between the marks on the dipstick when on the jiffy stand . I have been told the maintenance on this bike was done correctly and it has been well taken care of actually its beautiful . I also have been told by HD mechanics that 20,000 is nothing for that motor it should go 100,000 with proper maintanence. What is your opinion ?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:01 AM
squirrelu
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Blue smoke at startup

may be a head gasket on it way out. it will blow blue smoke on start up and when u hit the thro.going down the road but u can not see it. and if it goes out while riding it may blow flames out and u get a hot......leg.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Curly61
Intermediate

It stops immediately as soon as it comes off the choke i forgot to add that . However it started doing this after I changed the oil. Should I just ride it until it gets worse or do you think I should just replace the head gasket on both cylinders . It is only coming from the front jug .

Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't do anything major until you ride the bike for several thousand miles. Replace your spark plugs now and then check your spark plugs after 2-3000 milesand see if they are oil fouled (they will be black & wet with oil) and check your oil level to see if the engine is consuming oil. If it is consuming my first thought would be you are getting some seepage from the valve guide seals. But wait until you get used to the bike. Take it out and give it a good freeway blowout of the engine. Then in the mean time get the bike up to operating temperature with a good 30 minute ride and at night in the dark look at the exhaust while the bike is running with a flashlight. You will see if it is burning oil. But throw a new set of plugs in it first.

After all this, come back to this thread and let us know what you find. I doubt you have a head gasket issue at 20k. JMHO.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Curly61
Intermediate

I was thinking along the same lines . I thinking it just needs to be run because as far as I know it sat all winter .So thanks for the advice and i will post back in a couple of days . It does run striong and i have been watching the dipstick and have not used any that is noticeable Oil I mean . So I will ride it this weekend .

Old 05-23-2008, 11:05 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

when was the last time you cleaned the air filter and cleaner? check oil level when hot and make sure you're not over full. Worst case scenario; could have exhaust valve seals going. Oil bleeds down after shutting off.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Don't forget to check the oil hot after you shut down the engine on the jiffy stand allowing 4-5 minutes for the oil to return to the tank.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Curly61
Intermediate

I just installed a brand new big sucker kit on it about three weeks ago . So I know its fine . I am thinking it may be overfilled because I was not sure when I put the oil in I used 3 1/2 quarts because i checked it cold . I have heard some say just use three quarts only . I will ride it over the weekend and see what it does . Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 03:53 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Check it hot.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Generally this is caused from oil leaking down the intake guide. Guide loose or valve seal shot. Choking will reduce air coming in from normal source and engine vacume will try topick up some oil and airfrom the intake guide. Simple test for valve seals is to rev the engine up and crack throttle closed. If it smokes within a few seconds of this it's the intake valve seals. If it smokes on a heavy decel, same ****. Exhaust guides generally create no problem, and back pressure in the system has the opposite effect and oil is not sucked out of the guide. A small amount may trickle down when engine is shut off, but it is really small amount. Plugs will show black crusty deposites if intake guide and seal are shot, eventually.
Ron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blue smoke at startup