Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Changing oil, Checking fluid levels on trike

Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Ron H
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil, Checking fluid levels on trike

I am in the process of doing my first fluid change on my Trike.&nbsp\\; The donor bike is a 2007 Street Glide.&nbsp\\; The last change was done by the dealer when it was a two-wheeler, and this is the first time I've changed fluids on a motorcycle.&nbsp\\; I've got the service manual, and although I'm not mechanically adventuresome, changing fluids isn't rocket science and shouldn't be any more difficult than changing oil in a car which I've done for over 30 years.&nbsp\\; I've got a lift which can hoist the trike straight up in the air.&nbsp\\; Last night I tackled the tranny oil with the bike straight up vertically.&nbsp\\; (Trikes don't lean!)&nbsp\\; I measured the fluid drained out, and it was around 20 oz.&nbsp\\; Since the manual says to add 32 oz to fill, I thought there should be more.&nbsp\\; I jacked the right rear of the trike up about 8-10 inches to simulate the jiffy stand's lean angle, but only a couple more drops came out.&nbsp\\; Is it possible there's more oil in the tranny and I need to increase the lean angle?&nbsp\\; Otherwise, that means the tranny was low on oil.&nbsp\\; (I did notice the tranny drain plug was loose enough I could turn it by hand, although I've never noticed any fluid on the ground or floor.)

So that brings me to my question:&nbsp\\; Can I drain the oil, tranny and primary with the bike straight up vertically and be sure all the oil will drain out completely?

(I did a search on this forum for the answer, but I haven't found anything definitive.)