Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

High oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Electra1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure

Hello folks.&nbsp\\; I have a concern and not sure if it is worth the worry or not so here it goes.&nbsp\\; I have a 2001 FLHTCUI.&nbsp\\; Just had the cam support plate, oil pump, lifters replaced.&nbsp\\; I also had them put in SE203 cams to match my 1550 stage 2 set up I have.&nbsp\\; Now my oil guage reads around 40 pounds hot while riding down the road and at idle it reads around 32 pounds.&nbsp\\; It use to read around 35 hot going down the road and 5 pounds hot at idle.&nbsp\\; The dealer hooked up a pressure guage off my sending unit and it showed alittle higher readings, but was close to what the dash guage was showing.&nbsp\\; Dealer said to not worry about it, but didn't give a reason why it is higher now then when it was stock.&nbsp\\; I like the idea having higher pressure at idle, but don't want to blow a gasket or something.&nbsp\\; What do you all think?&nbsp\\; I was thinking I have a stuck relief valve, but dealer said if I did I would read low oil pressure.&nbsp\\; Should I make them tear it aprt again or just watch it.&nbsp\\; I do about 15k a year on this bike.&nbsp\\; They did an oil change too at the time.&nbsp\\; Maybe a bad oil filter?
Thanks,
Electra1

Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts
Default RE: High oil pressure

I would be concerned that the oil is bypassing the filter with that pressure. It will circulate, but not filter the oil. although the fueling pumps have higher pressure the the stock units, which pump did they install?.,,,

Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Check which oil filter they installed. If you are running dino 20w50 you might switch to synthetic as dino will give you a bit more pressure until it shears down some. But more pressure= less flow. I would be suspect of the oil filter first.&nbsp\\; If it's a 5 micron it could be too restrictive.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Electra1
Cruiser

Not sure on either oil pump or filter.&nbsp\\; I would think that they would both be stock, but you know how that goes.&nbsp\\; I am planning on chaning the oil and filter tomorrow and see what happens.
Electra1

Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also concur with the oil filter as possible problem unless it's a non stock pump with higher delivery. Relief valve is working, as it opens at 40 psi. Below that pressure it will close and the pressure is relieved through bearing leakage etc. If you have a stock pump and you are idling hot at 32 I would be concerned about that as the oil pressure readings on Harleys is taken before the filter and not where it counts like the end of the line. It's showing restriction between the pump and filter with that reading of 32 lbs. Again, it depends on what pump was installed.
Ron

Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Electra1
Cruiser

They called it a Cam Bearing Super Kit part number 24984-99.&nbsp\\; Came with cam plate, bearings, oil pump, lifters&nbsp\\;and stock cams.&nbsp\\; I had them put in the SE203's instead of the stock.&nbsp\\; I called the dealer, who is 200 miles from my home and the service manager working this sunday didn't really know much.&nbsp\\; She felt that the oil pump that came in the kit was stock.&nbsp\\; The oil filter is a chrome super premium part number 63798-99A.&nbsp\\; i hope this gives you some info.
&nbsp\\;
So from what I gather my oil pressure is okay at cruising speed, but at idle I am not getting any oil at that pressure?&nbsp\\; There is not any noise coming from the top end, but now I am nervous about running it.&nbsp\\; I will change out the filter tomorrow and see where it goes from there.&nbsp\\; What about the sending unit?
Thanks,
Electra1

Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know if it's oiling as much as it should or not. All I can say is 32lbs.&nbsp\\;pressure with hot oil at idle with a stock pump is an impossible figure to get. You could spin in a mechanical&nbsp\\;oil pressure gauge with a short hose to compare readings. Could be as simple as a defective sender in the end.
Ron

Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Electra1
Cruiser

Dealer did just that with a guage attached off of the oil sending unit area and his hand held guage showed pretty much the same thing as my dash guage.&nbsp\\; Just moved more freely with te rpm of the motor.&nbsp\\; Even his guage did not go lower then 30 pounds at idle.&nbsp\\; He said the oil is pumping so just ride it, but when understanding that more pressure means less oil flow then at idle I would not be getting enough oil for the top end and for cooling, right?&nbsp\\; I have at least 800 miles on this before I noticed the oil guage not dropping to 5 pounds at idle.&nbsp\\; I would think that I would be hearing top end noise or having oil blow by out the AC if the pressure was high?&nbsp\\; I have a 1000 mile ride coming up in a few weeks and I do not want to blow the motor cuase of this.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again for the info and help.
Electra1

Old 06-22-2008, 10:01 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; filter # 63798-99A is a 5 micron filter. Just for grins go to a NAPA store and get a wix napa gold filter that will fit your bike and swap it on. It will have a 19 micron rating. See if that changes the pressure. The number should be 51348 or Napa # 1348 that is the size for a TC88 engine. Should only cost you about $6 to find out.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Electra1
Cruiser

Thanks man, I was wondereing if that was a 5 micron.&nbsp\\; I know you are to use 10.&nbsp\\; The NAPA filter you mentioned is it chrome too?&nbsp\\; Now if it is a 19 micron that would be less restrictive so would I be going farther down the other way with less pressure at idle?&nbsp\\; Thanks!
Electra1

Quick Reply: High oil pressure