Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil/Tranny Fluid leak on 07 FXST

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Rampage-11
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil/Tranny Fluid leak on 07 FXST

When I bought my bike it had some oil residue on in that flatish area between the heads and the oil tank. I asked the seller about it and he said it was just dirty and his guy didnt clean it well enough. I figure no biggie I will clean it anyway regardless if they had..

So I take it home, clean it, ride it..and I notice fresh oil puddled in that small area at the rear of the engine I THINK between the engine/tranny. It was right near that little rectangle hole[IMG]file:///Users/doan_b/Desktop/2760d1239150471t-oil_leak_on_07_softail_fxst-generic.jpg[/IMG]. I could not figure out or see where the oil was coming from so I take it to HD(its still under warranty till June). They have it for like 3 days and no matter what they do can not make it leak oil again. They did however put what looks like some type of silicone into the little rectangle hole to 'plug it'. They suggest taking it home, riding it, and see'in if it happens again... So I ride it, and nothing for a couple weeks, then all of a sudden I have oil/tranny fluid leaking again, this time however I can see that it is coming from around the hole/vent they ‘plugged’. I made an appointment to take my bike back in to HD, but wanted some non-bias advice from some guys that know a lot more then I do..so have at me..

My bike is a stock 2007 FXST Softail Standard with just over 2,000 miles.

This is advice I got from another forum which I was not satisfied with…..

I have heard that this is a vent from the hollow compartment between the engine and tranny. The tranny supposedly has a casting plug in the front of it, inside of this hollow compartment. Tranny fluid will sometimes follow the threads of the tranny casting plug, into the cavity and then shows up around the vent. He then suggests to change the tranny fluid to Redline Shockproof heavy and forget about it and say's his bike has done this since day one.

I do not however think ‘forgetting about’ a MC leaking oil or any other fluid under warranty is an acceptable solution.

If anyone has had a similar experience I would love to hear how it turned out for you or any advice or information you could give me to help.

Thanks in advance,

Rampage -11 Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What oil are you using? How much volume do you estimate it leaks?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Rampage-11
Intermediate

I'd say couple teaspoons full, I guess depends on how long I ride. It seems to do this most on a longer rides/riding a bit harder then normal.. Not sure on oil, I just bought the bike and its not due yet for a change... I've heard Synthetic has more of a tendency to leak, but frankly its an 07 with 2,000 miles with my limited knowledge/exp. what kind of oil should not matter, it leaks, it should not..

Rampage-11

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I was asking because are you sure it is trans oil? SOme synthetics will find voids that dino oils will not. I agree it should not leak as well. But you may want to get a colored oil or get some tracer dye and put it in the trans to confirm it is in fact trans oil.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

my 2010 fatboy leaks in the same spot. Still under warranty too. What did you find out to fix this??
Please PM me

Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

It's not tranny oil. The leak is due to a pouris casting. My 07 FXST has leaked there since the first 1000 miles. Really hard to seal. The right way to fix it is to split the cases but I didn't want some green Hd tech to screw something els up. The problem with sealing it up is that most sealants wont stick to the powder coat. I relocated mu coil to the horn position so I don't have that post there. Then I got my dremmle in that gap and ground the powdercoating off then I put some 2 part epoxy putty in the gap and down the rib. All sealed up. Leak free for 90,000 miles now.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by billybobber
my 2010 fatboy leaks in the same spot. Still under warranty too. What did you find out to fix this??
Please PM me
If it is under warranty...take it back and make them fix it.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

If it means for them to pull my motor and split the case to re-seal, I will pass on that. I simply don't trust the dealer based on past experience. What else will they eff up in the process? you know? - for those who may say it doesnt matter, they will fix what ever they break- that's just it. I dont want my bike in the shop all the time for their build mistakes. I will try some hi temp sealant in the rectangular hole and go from there....Just wanted to hear if others had this same leak and what they did to fix it.....searching has netted no real answers here