Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Went to oil test....Schaeffer's Oil blew them all away

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 PM
C5/FLA
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Schaeffers

I think it says something that a company like Schaeffer has stood the test of time considering they've been in business since the mid 1800's, and their business is all about lubricants...period. Not some company who manufactures lubricants as a byproduct of another process.

I've had two separate experiences with Schaeffer oils that made me a believer. First was with a minivan that my wife drove. I hadn't driven it myself in quite a while, and so I pulled the dipstick. There was absolutely nothing showing on the stick, and yet, no rise temps anywhere, no tapping sounds...nothing That van continued on for thousands of miles until it was traded off and never a single problem!

Second...we purchased a 28 foot Monterey similar to a Bayliner that was quite the nice boat. Slept six, nice galley, central heat & air, gen set, etc. As the boat was being prepared for delivery to us, I told them I wanted the oil drained and replaced with Schaeffers. The dealer relented and changed the oil. Our first trip up the St. Johns River outside of Sanford, Fl we'd had a pleasant afternoon going up the river and putting our new pride and joy through her paces. We'd just come out of a no wake zone, so I hit the throttle and as we were blasting down the river...suddenly the boat began to shake and shudder. To my horror I saw the temp gauge rising fast and shut the engine down. As you know, when an engine overheats and is shut down, temps will rise even hotter before it slowly begins to cool down.

We managed to get a tow back to the marina (btw, this was a volvo penta 454 IO). The dealer came and picked it up later that day. When the mechanic finally called, he explained that the impeller was improperly pressed on the water pump from the factory. The engine had gotten so hot that it actually melted the plastic pcv inserts in the valve covers. He told me that when he drained the oil, he had every expectation that the oil would be as black as tar. To his own astonishment, the oil was as clean as it was when they changed it. After replacing the pump and impeller assembly, again, there was never another issue with the engine what so ever. We got divorced a few years later, and she wound up with the boat. Which do you think I missed more, her or the boat?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I thought their beer was some awful tasting swill, no way am I going to try their oil...

Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Egads, another 'dead' post resurrected.....

can't we just let them stay buried??

Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

Must be getting close to winter.....

Old 10-09-2014, 11:53 PM
joelin5386
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always used Royal Purple or Amsoil. Used Schaffers once. The last time I changed I used Lucas, now 1 thousand miles later my engine needs rebuilt ( mechanic says either rod bearing or wrist pin )

Old 05-10-2015, 07:39 PM
WildBill76
Tourer

[QUOTE=twiceretired;5381400]Just wondering what that means? Are newer members less credible? Less knowledgeable? At what point is ones opinion worth considering? After X years, or XXXX posts? Do we become part of the elite after 1, 2 or 3 years? Or after 500, 1,000 or more posts? Certainly us "new" guys are only less credible because of our time here, not our age (I'm older than you).

If you'd be so kind as to let us know, I'll try to keep my opinions to myself until deemed qualified. Thank you.
FNG[/QUOTE
Possibly the posters with fewer posts are younger, and less set on their ways. Therefore willing to be open to different products. I myself like to hear real world results, from actual users of a given product.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I change oil every 2K. Almost bought Schaffers but didn't want to go through a catalog. Just found some 40 miles away, might make a ride soon, coming up on 2K. I tried RevTech=motor doesn't like it.
P.S. I might not have many posts, but at least I support the forum, does that count?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:10 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I've changed my oil 15 times since this post was started. Never had reason to use shaeffers oil. There's alot better oils out there.,,

Old 08-07-2015, 10:22 AM
C5/FLA
6th Gear

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I've changed my oil 15 times since this post was started. Never had reason to use shaeffers oil. There's alot better oils out there.,,
I try to remain fair and open minded about most things, and do as much research as possible before making a decision or jumping to any conclusions. Since you made the comment that there are much better oils without anything to back it up or any other recommendations, I'd really like to know what they are and how they're better based on what??? Or, were you just in the mood to expel some gas over something you don't know anything about?

Old 07-23-2016, 04:16 AM
westcoastwave2001
Stage I

I know beating a dead horse blah blah. But I have been a diesel mechanic for 15 years, and my first experience with schaeffers was helping teach my buddy do a head on an epa 04 detroit that they run extended oil change intervals on with their full synthetic. 385,000 miles and the cam bearings looked brand new I thought the top end had just been done, that was the first time the valve cover had been cracked. And I know of a dd15 with 850,000 still running like a top.

Quick Reply: Went to oil test....Schaeffer's Oil blew them all away