Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

can someone explain this problem? '01 custom softail oil issue..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 PM
01customsoftail
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can someone explain this problem? '01 custom softail oil issue..

Hello everyone, i am new to the forum, seems alot of knowledgable gurus visit here, so perhaps someone can assist me as this is my first harley.

The bike is a custom '01 softail, 88ci engine.

I purchased the bike used & the owner advised me he 'fogged' the engine for the winter, etc.. and gave me instructions what i had to do when i got it home as it was stored.

I was told to charge the battery, take the plugs out, and remove the small filter attached to a hose near the bottom of frame (brake side) under the oil tank near the rear tire... i was told to remove the filter at the end of the line which had a hose clamp attached to it. I was to remove the plugs, crank it over and let all the oil out of this line.. then put the line back on and it'll fire up..

Ok.. I did all of the above, however, while cranking about a quart or so, possibly more, of used oil pumped out of this hose.... is this normal?? I have never owned a harley before, i dont want to just put the filter back on and fill it up and fire it up, i assumed this is not normal?

If someone could help me out, and let me know if this is a normal procedure, and if its normal for almost a quart or more of oil to pump out this line... and if so.. do i just top the oil up and start it up, or is there a problem when this much oil comes spewing out this line? It didnt seem like a 'plug' at the end, it is a small chrome breather-type unit affixed with a hose clamp..

I dont want to damage the bike or fill it with oil if its just going to pour back out, i assumed "fogging" the engine meant a small amount of oil would come out from storage, but 1 quart or more? wow.. can someone explain if this is a 'normal' procedure after storing a harley for the winter to get it ready for spring?

I thought to ask the experts here if someone could help me out, let me know what this line is for, or perhaps why so much oil? Is this from sitting or is there possibly something internally wrong with the bike that I should fix or look into before i start it up or attempt to?

Thanks, if photos are needed, i can take one of the line and show you, i think the line went to the crankcase area, its on the oil tank side at the bottom of the frame, going through a metal tube near the rear tire behind the exhaust pipes..

Sorry for the longwinded story, but i tried to explain everything i was told to do, and what happened when i did the above. Hopefully someone can explain if its normal or maybe i bought something i need to fix first.

Thanks again for reading this, and hope someone can help out..