Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Screamin Eagle oil in all three holes??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM
banks727
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle oil in all three holes??

I just had a local mechanic do a 5000 mile service on my 09 FLHX. Very knowledgeable guys and recomended.

Besides doing the HD recommended services, they changed the oil in the primary and trans. The guys said they just liked to do all the fluids when they do a service.

My question is they put HD Screamin Eagle synthetic in all 3. They said the oil was made for that. Is this really ok?

I noticed the bike shifted much easier and quieter. I just bought the bike and I think they had HD synthetic in but didn't ask the guy what he had in the primary and tran.

Thanks

Banks

Old 05-20-2010, 05:26 PM
dbinbc
Cruiser

If they are really that knowledgeable, why would they put engine oil into your transmission? Nothing wrong with Syn 3 but its engine oil. Yes, you can run it in the tranny but there are so many better fluids designed for transmissions that is seems a bit silly. Same with the primary, many better fluids than Syn 3. Just my opinion.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You're fine with Syn3. If the guys that designed, built, and warranty the powertrain say it's OK to use it in all 3 holes, that's who I'd believe.

From Harley's website:

Screamin' Eagle® SYN3® Full Synthetic Motorcycle Lubricant - SAE 20W50

TESTED-CERTIFIED for use in Harley-Davidson® engine, primary chaincase and transmission applications, the new Screamin' Eagle® Full SYN3® Synthetic Lubricant makes changing and topping-off fluids a simple, one-product process. Developed with a proprietary three synthetic basestock formula, Screamin' Eagle® SYN3® Lubricant is formulated to provide for long-term protection and engine cleanliness requirements and to provide superior high-temperature protection for high-output engines. SYN3® is formulated to maintain the coefficient of friction for proper clutch operation and to provide the proper lubrication to the primary chain drive. In addition, SYN3® is designed to provide the correct lubricity for the anti-wear requirements of transmission gears and for improved seal protection. This formula is approved by Harley-Davidson® for use in all stages of engine life and is not detrimental to the break-in stage of engines.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-20-2010, 06:22 PM
deluxeroad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Syn 3 on both bikes in all three holes....over 45,000 miles, no problemo!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by banks727
I just had a local mechanic do a 5000 mile service on my 09 FLHX. Very knowledgeable guys and recomended.

My question is they put HD Screamin Eagle synthetic in all 3. They said the oil was made for that. Is this really ok?
Yes, it can be used in all three. Most owners will suggest that there are better choices.

But many indys use the one and that saves them from stocking two or three different oil formulas not to mention many different brands...certainly a cost saver but I wouldn't take my bike to such a shop.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
banks727
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I hear that "HD says their more expensive oil is ok for all stages of engine life" I have to ask aren't they a bit biased? Sure they'd want me to spend more on their products right? A local indie told me that synthetic during the break in period is bad because it prevents the engine from proporly wearing in. They've actually gone in with a camera to view the results on this, they say, so who am I to beleive?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tao3535
When I hear that "HD says their more expensive oil is ok for all stages of engine life" I have to ask aren't they a bit biased? Sure they'd want me to spend more on their products right? A local indie told me that synthetic during the break in period is bad because it prevents the engine from proporly wearing in. They've actually gone in with a camera to view the results on this, they say, so who am I to beleive?
On one hand, you have the engineers that designed, tested, and built your motor, along with the company that will have to pay to fix it if it breaks, saying it's OK to use a particular oil for the life of the engine. On the other hand, some guy whose mechanical and technical background you know nothing about says you can't.
Is the decision of who to believe really that difficult?

Every CVO bike made comes with synthetic oil from the factory, as do many other motor vehicles. That's a LOT of engines, yet I have yet to hear of any widespread engine failures due to synthetic oil preventing them from "wearing in" properly...

Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

It will work but it costs more to do all 3 holes with that stuff.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tao3535
Only true with GroupV POE syn oils. HD oil is a groupIII. All CVO bikes come with SYn3 as factory fill. I broke my bike in on Syn3 after 100 miles. No problems.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle oil in all three holes??