Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

60 weight oil in motor

Old 08-26-2006, 11:56 AM
jerboys
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 weight oil in motor

I see in the service manual it says to use 60 weight oil when it is over 80 degrees, does any one use it, I would think there would be less engine noise with it. Love my Harley, hate the engine noise. 06 ROAD KING CUSTOM WITH 11000 MILES. Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 02:08 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts
Default RE: 60 weight oil in motor

While there might be less engine noise with the 60 in the motor, it'll also allow a lot more wear than running a good multi-viscosity oil. That 60 weight is 60 weight at startup, and it doesn't flow as well as a 20w-50 does. If you want to try the benefits of the 60, find someone who sells 25w-60 RevTech oil.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:52 PM
jerboys
Intermediate

Hey thanks for the reply, that was what I was thinking also, I could not find that oil so I went with mobil 1 20w50 and wow what a dif from the syn 3, the engine is lots quiter now, I also was thinging about puting a little bit of STP in with the oil to thicken it up to quit it down some more, what do you think about that idea?Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:37 PM
SDozier
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do not put STP in your bike. I added a touch to mine and I wound up replacing the cam shaft bearing. It was probably going out but the STP did not help.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't know the chemical composition of the STP. Without knowing that I won't recommend it. It may interfere with the additive package in the Mobil 1. You could end up with an imbalance of some chemicals that would reduce or negate their effectiveness. This may or may not hurt anything, but it is unlikely to help.

Is your engine noisier than the typical twinkie motor? If so, there is an underlying reason, and it needs addressed rather than using a thicker oil to cover it up. If it's not significantly noisier than the norm, guess you'll need to learn to enjoy the HD music!

Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
jerboys
Intermediate

Thanks again for the reply, as far as if the noise is abnormal, this is my first Harley so I do not know what is normal, all I know is now the bike is a lot quiter with the mobil 1 than with the syn 3 oil, I have had guys that has rode Harleys for years tell me mine is no noiser than normal. Also I am wondering if I should change the motor oil at 3000 rather than 5000 miles. Thanks again.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

While 5k is the "official" HD recommendation, and your Mobil 1 will do that and even more, I'm willing to waste my money and stick with a 2500 - 3000 mile interval. If you decide to do the 5k, compromise and pop on a new filter at 2500. Won't hurt & will help.

Almost forgot; if'n the "boys" are tellin' you the noise is in the normal range, don't worry about it. And having a windshield or fairing will tend to focus the noise back at you. I get a little freaky every winter when I slap the windshield back on. Firts coupla days I think the top end is coming apart!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:19 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

The oil you changed to is good.Better to run that than a straight weight.You could always add an oil cooler W/thermostat.
As far as the engine noise,seems to be the norm for '06.My '06 Road Glide does not sound like a BMW or Honda either.
Just make sure the primary chain is adjusted.
If your running syn.I dont see the need to change earlier than every 5K unless you only ride in the dirt,IMO.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:03 PM
jerboys
Intermediate

what do you think about also changing the primary oil every 3000 miles also because I had syn 3 installed at the 500 mile service and when I changed it at 10,000 it was black as coal. Thanks

Old 08-27-2006, 05:08 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

The blackness in the primary oil is caused by clutch plate particles, and not by combustion particles, as in an engine. These fibrous particles won't cause much of a problem on any wearing surface in the primary. having said that, I used to change mine at every other oil change, or about 5k miles. But I used to use ATF in the primary instead of the "recommended" lubricant. (I run a semi-open belt now, so it's all dry.) Anyway, changing it at 3k isn't going to hurt, may help, and is inexpensive insurance.

One thing that has come up lately on going to 5k on the OCI is that some of the oils start thickening. If you start with 20w-50, it will initially shear, probably into the 40 range, then after some time it will thicken up, and may even end up in the 60 viscosity range. That isn't necessarily a good thing, as protection at start-up is compromised. Only way to know if this is a problem in your bike with your oil is to have a sample of the used oil tested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 60 weight oil in motor