Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Houston we have a problem ~ oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Houston we have a problem ~ oil leak

Hi Guys

I own a 1985 FLHT Electra Guild Classic and she's LEAKING OIL (a lot )
I happens after I run the bike.
It just start doing this.

Someone told me it might be that the CHECK VALVE BALL is not seated correctly and the oil is SEEPING thru the bottom of my oil filter breather.

If this is the problem ?
How do I FIX IT ?

Thanks guys

Old 10-26-2015, 11:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi Schooner, is your bike still doing this? Does your bike leak after you stop riding? When the check valve doesn't seat correctly the oil in the oil bag normally ends up inside the crankcase and can get out through the engine breather. The solution is to get that check valve checked over and cured, a local indy should be able to help.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:22 AM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey brbrown ~ IT FINALLY HAPPENED

Hi Guy
Your right about that check valve. But I don't ever have to worry about that
anymore. Five days ago I got into an accident going into a slow right hand turn into a shopping mall as the road construction right lane was closing. I was safe with no one I thought was on my right only me making my slow turn.
THANK GOD I was going slow into the turn.

Out of no way a car speed up a tried to pass me on the right so she could get to the left lane ahead of me ~ and BANG I hit her front drivers side mirror and scraped the entire left side of her car.

I went down of course the fairing flew off, both crash bars scraped. And little did I know that the insurance adjuster seen that the front part of the frame was CRACKED. So the Harley was totaled.

I came away with no cuts, road rash no my sweat pants wasn't even damage. However, when I hit the ground and rolled I did injure my right hip. I got my groan muscle slightly damaged.

Here I Las Vegas the drivers are INSANE. They don't signal, they're up in your butt behind you. I can go on and go.

The good LORD finally gave this 75 year old man a hint to stop riding. As I was told no matter how safe you are on the road ~ it will happen. I rode over 38 yrs. without an accident.

I closiing I have such great memories of the people I've met and the places I've been with NO REGRETS.

I like to THANK ALL you GREAT GUYS for always being there with you helping my straightening out problems with my1985 flht electra gluide classic.

Especially you BRBROWN. ITS BEEN A GREAT RIDE.
All in all please guys watch yourselves out there from those irion tacks.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi Schooner, is your bike still doing this? Does your bike leak after you stop riding? When the check valve doesn't seat correctly the oil in the oil bag normally ends up inside the crankcase and can get out through the engine breather. The solution is to get that check valve checked over and cured, a local indy should be able to help.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Schooner, sorry to hear about your 'incident'. Here's hoping your bruises heal pdq. Best wishes!