Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

:::UPDATE::: To Dumb Question thread in Dyna Section.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default :::UPDATE::: To Dumb Question thread in Dyna Section.

:::UPDATE:::

I have done a two hole change in my bike today. Keep in mind I have used Amsoil 20W50 since 500 miles on my bike. I have 25k on her now. Nothing buy Amsoil in all 3 holes.

1) I put the Revtech Primary Fluid in my primary. I also did the proper clutch adjustments. They were not really needed, but I did then anyway as any good service person would. haha.
All I can say is WOW. My bike's clutch hasn't been this smooth since well before I switched to Amsoil. Seriously. There was a a 100% difference, and I would say for the better. Only time will tell, but the release points were much more smooth, less grabby, and just made for a nice cruising ride as far as the clutch went.

2) I do have the 15w50 Mobile 1 on the shelf, but I really wanted to try an go back to the Conventional oil for the top end noise, cost, and availability. I found 20W50 Pennzoil for $4.00/qrt. I picked up 3 qrts. I put on a new Harley Filter, and added the usual 2 1/2 ther abouts quarts of oil.
I started my bike, and I heard the usual tick, tick, tick, tick, gone..... Nothing. Just a smooth running motor. My wife was like what happened? Where did the ticks go. I said, "I don't know."

I took it for a 20 mile ride, and never heard the loud top end. I heard the motor, but not the tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, that I heard the day I put Amsoil in my bike and there after.
Again only time will tell

3) I left the 20W50 MCV Syn from Amsoil in the tranny. Not a big deal for right now.

All-in-all I can't wait to get on a decent ride tomorrow. I recently put my stock exhaust on the bike for winter because of the FF headaches I get when commuting in winter and dealing with the noise. So, I am able to really tell if the noise is gone. Also I ride with a windshield now, but even then the motor was nice and smooth.

I will keep a good eye on the temps, noise and nature of the oil. Maybe $28 dollar fluid changes are in my future from now on. Later $60-80 fluid change.

Box of 12 qrts Revtech primary fluid = $54.00 shipped
Specials on 20W50 oil = $3/5 per qrt per 12 = $36 to $60
Synthetic Tranny fluid Amsoil MCV 20W50 or any 75W-140 = $10 per 12 = $120

All that comes out to $19.00 per oil fluid change including filters from Harley. That is if I change the tranny every 10k. I hell of a lot better than $60.

I am hoping this does a good job, and it runs good for me. I could really use the savings. I still have the 6 qrts of Mobile 1 15W50 on the shelf in the garage.

Thanks for the conversation, everyone. Please keep chiming in on you savings and experiences.