Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Push rod covers leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM
armydad1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push rod covers leaking oil

I have an 86 Softail custom and about two months ago I replaced all gaskets and seals from my head gasket on up because of a blown head gasket. Easy enough with the manual and some trial and error. I started seeing a mist of oil coating my engine on the right side. Was thinking pushrod covers but never really knew until about a month later when oil started leaking alot out of the rear outside pushrod cover bottom seal. I went and got a new set of seals and finally got to it yesterday. When I replaced the pushrod cover seals I left the old seal that goes with the spring in and also put in the new one because I figured that the spring may be wornb after 30 years on the road and maybe this will shore up the leak. Everything seemed to be good until I rode into work today. It is still leaking out of the same pushrod cover seal and now my front rocker box seal is leaking to beat hell. Starting to think that I have an oil pressure problem somewhere just don't know what to look for and no way I'm getting raped by Harley by taking it in. Is there any suggestions out there? One other thing that leaks is the primary cover on the bottom right as your looking at it. Replaced that gasket and it still leaks but have come to accept that, she likes to mark her territory and all. Please help.