Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.14%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.64%
Amsoil
27.49%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6847. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Redline Shockproof works great in the gearbox. It turns the "clunk" into a "thud". JMO

Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Oil Blues

Originally Posted by OldDogIke
Royal Purple 20W-50 V-twin. Was using M1 but cam-chain adjustment shoes showed abnormal wear during cam swap at 15K. RP addresses this specific issue vs M1. We'll see.
WOW ! 15 K, that's the lowest miles on a hydraulic tensioner TC, with severe wear, that I've heard of. Just recently on another forum, a guy was bragging he had 137K, on an older TC with the spring tensioners, on DINO oil. I meant to call him out on it, he's full of chit ! I wouldn't put RP or Lucas in my lawnmower !
The oil poll is DEAD EVEN !

Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 AM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Autozones around me are having a $2 off any motorcycle oil.

Been stocking up on the V-Twin 20-50. Good for Engine and Primary case.
Transmission gets gear oil.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went with Mobil 1 Vtwin 20-50 in the engine and Bel Ray in the Tranny and Primary and she's running like a dream.

Shifting is way smoother.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 AM
McDirty33
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas Oil products

Is anyone using/used Lucas Oil products in the engine, primary, and trans?
I picked up some 10W40 for the engine and 75W90 semi-syn for the primary and trans. Has anyone has any experience with this stuff? I figured id ask around before I dumped it in. Any help here would be nice. Its a 07 Street Glide with 17K miles.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I think 10-40 is a bit too light for your application especially in Ok. I use 10-40 in my TG in the winter here in Chicago. Most Harleys require 20-50.

75-90 is OK for the trans. I use 75-140 to help keep it quiet.

Never used Lucas brand fluids or any of the other lesser name brands.
I stick with the top 2, Mobil1 or Amsoil.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:57 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Never used Lucas brand fluids or any of the other lesser name brands.
I stick with the top 2, Mobil1 or Amsoil.
Lucas received a 5 star rating on Amazon. Why would you call it a "lesser brand"? Even though I use Redline, I wouldn't be afraid to use Lucas. See below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most helpful

Most recent
Filter by:
All reviewers

All stars
Five Stars
By Dena R. Contratti-Vucetichon August 12, 2014
Verified Purchase
Great value.
CommentWas this review helpful to you?
Yes
No
very satisfied
By ringtonyon July 23, 2014
Fast shipping very happy with this purchase will definitely be purchasing again in the future.
Yes
No
1995 Sportster 1200
By Ancienton August 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
switched to this oil instead of the the stealership stuff after a top end rebuild, works great, no problems, burns cleaner as well vs stealships oem! have an extra case on hand always!
Yes
No
time will tell
By ae500on June 6, 2013
Verified Purchase
Too early to rate for performance however the oil appears light gold in color and flows nicely. First test drive was good with quiet and Smooth shifting on a high mileage motorcycle.
Yes
No
Best protection
By Jeffrey H.on March 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
Since 2004 when I bought my 2003 Indian Chief I`ve used nothing but Lucas 20W-50 .I have checked some of the more vital internal engine areas with very little or no engine ware at all. I "Highly Recommend" all Lucas products.
Yes
No
Run It
By Bobon November 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
I put some high miles on my bikes, I'm am now running a Road King, this oil does very well. I will always use it.
Yes
No
hard to find
By Fatboyon May 18, 2011
Verified Purchase
dont know why this is so hard to find around me, but I won't put any other oil in my Harley. Good price compared to other sites.
Yes
No
Lucas motorcycle oil
By D. Garciaon October 3, 2009
Verified Purchase
Excellent product. My HD dealer recommended Lucas motorcycle oil on my last visit. So far I have used this product to finish my engine break in after my 103 Big Bore upgrade. I am now using the Lucas Synthetic Motorcycle oil.
Yes
No

Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah I was a bit baffled by the Top 2 designation. I'd dare anyone to show me where and how any of these oils are better then any others. Valvoline, Mobil, HD, Lucas, Redline, Amsoil, BelRay, Torco,Pennzoil, Klotz, Maxima, etc, and I don't care whether they are conventional or synthetic. They are all darn near the same in this application. Pick one that you like, for whatever reason , price is as good of a reason as any other, and change it @5000 or less miles and it's all good. If you want to spend $12,$15, $18 a qt thats great but don't think you are getting more for your money, cuz you aint getting any more than the guy using regular old conventional oil for $4 or $5 a qt.

Last edited by qtrracer; 09-03-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I hate it when people put words in my mouth. I've ALWAYS said I wouldn't be afraid to use ANY name brand oil, but would prefer to use Mobil1 or Amsoil.
I call Lucas a lesser known brand name because it is a lesser known brand name(I didn't say it was no good). I've never seen a TV commercial for it. I don't see advertisements everywhere for it. I don't hear people talk about it either. I don't hear people talk about any of the other brands either except Mobil and Amsoil. I hear more about Bel Ray and Red Line then I do Lucas. Even Bikers Choice has an oil now. Who's next?
Great, you may have heard of Lucas, but ask Joe Schmoe on the street if he knows what Lucas is and I'll bet he has no idea. If he has any idea he will probably think of Lucas electrics - that infamous electric company known as the Prince of Darkness.
Lucas doesn't even show up on this poll. Pretty popular right??

Qtrracer, those are my exact thoughts and have said so in countless forums.
I use Amsoil because it's so convenient for me and the price is OK too. And it works pretty darn good in all my vehicles.
I have been known to use other brand name syn motorcycle oils when they are on sale for $3/qt

Last edited by GARY DYER; 09-04-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:35 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Talking

It was said the reason the brits liked warm beer was because they all has lucas refrigerators and they were used to warm beer.

It was also said the lucas was the inventor of the intermittent headlight.

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike