Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.16%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.63%
Amsoil
27.48%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6848. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM
Flhr Rider
Cruiser
Received 180 Likes on 85 Posts

Mobil 1 15/50

Old 12-30-2014, 08:19 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
And as I've always stated = ANY brand name syn oil is more then fine to use. As a matter of fact Farm and Fleet just had Mobile 1 20/50 on sale for $4 after rebate - I bought a case.
As for me, Amsoil is just as easy to get or more so then the other motorcycle oils at a lower cost. I don't know if the other motorcycle oils are any easier to get then Amsoil. Usually you can only get them at an auto parts store and they usually carry all the brands - usually. So far all the Harley dealers I've gone to also sell Amsoil and or Bel Ray.
Now, if people want to use auto oil in there Harleys then yes it's easier to get - that's fine go ahead use it - only motorcycle oil for me.

I am relaxed - I'm so relaxed I have time to leisurely respond to these posts.
Just a side note, Gary. You mentioned $4 Mobile 1 at Farm and Fleet, then you mentioned Amsoil at Harley dealers. Somehow you forgot to mention the price of Amsoil at the Harley dealer. The Harley dealers in my area charge $12-$14 per quart for Amsoil. Maybe you should have bought a few more cases of Mobile 1. JMO

Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
Just a side note, Gary. You mentioned $4 Mobile 1 at Farm and Fleet, then you mentioned Amsoil at Harley dealers. Somehow you forgot to mention the price of Amsoil at the Harley dealer. The Harley dealers in my area charge $12-$14 per quart for Amsoil. Maybe you should have bought a few more cases of Mobile 1. JMO
Mike, I didn't mention the price of Amsoil at the dealer because it's understood that - - - IT'S EXPENSIVE.

I buy it buy the 4 gal case direct from Amsoil - the warehouse is a couple blocks from my office so no shipping and handling and very convenient. I never run out and I always carry a quart when I go on long trips(never needed to use it yet, but a friend needed it once). The reason I buy so much is because I have a lot of vehicles and I sell it to friends and chapter members at my cost.

I would have bought more Mobil1 if they had more (I went to 2 different stores to get what I wanted) and there was a limit on the rebate. Even without the rebate it's still about the same price as Amsoil. Farm & Fleet is a great place, but so damn far from me.

Have a great New Year.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:33 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Mike, I didn't mention the price of Amsoil at the dealer because it's understood that - - - IT'S EXPENSIVE.

I buy it buy the 4 gal case direct from Amsoil - the warehouse is a couple blocks from my office so no shipping and handling and very convenient. I never run out and I always carry a quart when I go on long trips(never needed to use it yet, but a friend needed it once). The reason I buy so much is because I have a lot of vehicles and I sell it to friends and chapter members at my cost.

I would have bought more Mobil1 if they had more (I went to 2 different stores to get what I wanted) and there was a limit on the rebate. Even without the rebate it's still about the same price as Amsoil. Farm & Fleet is a great place, but so damn far from me.

Have a great New Year.
And, right back at ya. Happy New Year, Gary!!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 AM
coopermwc29
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use HD Syn3 but will probably switch to more affordable Mobil or Amsoil next change.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Phu Cat
6th Gear
Default Best oils?

I've been riding bikes since I was about 13 and I'm 66 now. I always rode Electra Glides until stating to have balance problems and switched over to a Triglide for Ma's sake. The engine oil I've seen the least wear from is M-1 15W50 and Red-Line Shock Proof Heavy for gear oil (available @ boat dealers). If you can find better oils than these two I'd sure appreciate yer bringin it to my attention. The piston skirts and cyclinder walls just look too good for me to switch to anything else after high milage (70,000-75,000) with no break downs.

Phu Cat

Old 01-06-2015, 10:44 AM
C5/FLA
6th Gear
Default A poll that doesn't include Schaeffer's?

Been a fan of Schaeffer products for many years. Amsoil braggadocio about how they've been in business since 1972...Schaeffer has been around since 1839. Whatever your own personal benchmark happens to be when it comes to choosing lubricants, you are doing yourself a disservice if you've never explored their products imho. And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form, other than being an extremely satisfied customer.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Never heard of Schaeffer. Do they have motorcycle 20/50 grade? If people think Amsoil is hard to find this has got to be harder. Do any brick and mortar stores carry it or is it something you have to order on line?

Then again, I never heard of Red Line either until I got into Harleys.

Amsoil's been in business longer then 1972 - they just started selling syn oil to the general public at that time. They were initially in the aircraft engine field way before that.

Was Schaeffer selling syn oil back in 1839? When did they start making and selling syn oil to the car buying public?

I'm always interested in new/old products and their history.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:18 AM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

Royal purple 20-50 in the front and back holes and redline in the tranny.
Wouldent hesitate to run Mobil-1, it's time tested and proven

Old 04-06-2015, 07:56 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

free 50w or 60w racing oil in motor. ( race car sponsor )Free ATF in primary. 75-140 Gear oil I use in trucks for trans. Oil change costs 0 filter 8 bucks. All 3 holes done 4 times a year in about 20 min. Same in ever bike I have owned. No failures. ever.

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike