Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.16%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.63%
Amsoil
27.48%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6848. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I've been out of the Amsoil field for a couple years now so didn't know about their primary oil. I just buy whatever syn oil is on sale now. Last batch was Mobil1 at $5.75/qt at Farm & Fleet. If Penzoil or Red Line or ANY other brand motorcycle oil goes on sale (for a great price) I will load up on that too. I have a few cases in stock now for when I have to start doing my own changes again.

I had my dealers prepaid service plan for the last 2 years with one more year to go at a cost saving of a few hundred dollars and I could name my oil preference (Amsoil of course) and I get a loaner to boot.

Not this year. I was there last year on my way back from the Ontario HOG rally. If you sneeze you'll go right past it.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,668 Likes on 1,669 Posts
Default What Brand Oil ?

You left out one of the best in the Engine=

In the Transmission =

In the Primary

Last edited by TheMurf; 02-18-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 AM
Kalif
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to share some experience
If you are riding VRod try out Motul 7100 20w50
Was using this oil many times on my friends bike and it was just perfect
In summer time while it was very hot the bike was running really good
I could feel the difference after we changed the oil right after the start up,the engine was running so smooth (HD oil is crap)
But would not reccomend this oil for air cooled Harley's

Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kalif
I could feel the difference after we changed the oil right after the start up,the engine was running so smooth (HD oil is crap)
Maybe because the old worn out oil was replaced by new oil.

I always notice my bike running better right after an oil change.

I wouldn't call Syn3 crap, but there's more oil out there that's better and for less money.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

After a bunch of years and oil changes here are my thoughts on "Oil Brands". Years back I rode more and thought using the big name oils were actually going to do something better for my motor and components. Nowadays I don't ride as much every year, and In reality I can't say I notice any difference in how my bike runs, no matter who's oil I run in it. Last Sunday I was doing a PB ride with a friend of mine who uses Syn 3 in all three holes. I use Valvoline's mc or Vr-1 racing oil in the motor and gear oil in the trans, depending which is cheaper at the time of purchase. We run highways alot of the time and here's what I notice. Bike starts and runs like an old Harley should. Uses maybe 1/2 a qt of oil in 5k miles between changes. The oil looks to be on the clean side right up until change time. And being fuel injected, doesn't have the gas smell my carbed bikes oil used to have. We run the same roads at the same speeds, mostly winter riding , my gas mileage runs between 38-43 mpg his is about the same. The biggest difference I see is it costs him twice as much for his oil then what I pay, and I can't see what his oil is doing better then mine. My bike has a hair over 60k miles on it, his about half that. So I guess what I'm saying is don't sweat over what brand or type of oil your using just make sure you have enough of some type of oil in it and your bike will last longer then you'll want to own it.,,,

Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by big cahuna
After a bunch of years and oil changes here are my thoughts on "Oil Brands". Years back I rode more and thought using the big name oils were actually going to do something better for my motor and components. Nowadays I don't ride as much every year, and In reality I can't say I notice any difference in how my bike runs, no matter who's oil I run in it. Last Sunday I was doing a PB ride with a friend of mine who uses Syn 3 in all three holes. I use Valvoline's mc or Vr-1 racing oil in the motor and gear oil in the trans, depending which is cheaper at the time of purchase. We run highways alot of the time and here's what I notice. Bike starts and runs like an old Harley should. Uses maybe 1/2 a qt of oil in 5k miles between changes. The oil looks to be on the clean side right up until change time. And being fuel injected, doesn't have the gas smell my carbed bikes oil used to have. We run the same roads at the same speeds, mostly winter riding , my gas mileage runs between 38-43 mpg his is about the same. The biggest difference I see is it costs him twice as much for his oil then what I pay, and I can't see what his oil is doing better then mine. My bike has a hair over 60k miles on it, his about half that. So I guess what I'm saying is don't sweat over what brand or type of oil your using just make sure you have enough of some type of oil in it and your bike will last longer then you'll want to own it.,,,
Couldn't have said it better. Personally I use Amsoil, at least I use to. Now I use whatever syn oil is on sale. It does have to be motorcycle specific though. I've always said any name brand oil is fine, just change it per recommended intervals. Dino or syn is OK. And don't use the same oil in all 3 holes - they have different requirements.

I've have never had an oil related engine problem and I don't know anyone who has.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Couldn't have said it better. Personally I use Amsoil, at least I use to. Now I use whatever syn oil is on sale. It does have to be motorcycle specific though. I've always said any name brand oil is fine, just change it per recommended intervals. Dino or syn is OK. And don't use the same oil in all 3 holes - they have different requirements.

I've have never had an oil related engine problem and I don't know anyone who has.
Yup, I agree with both posts above. Unless a company can prove to you their oil is superior in some magical way using tests directly comparing their oil with another which they never do, then its all marketing. This isnt to say there arent some better oils, like any product, the question is, is the better oil cheaper then the more expensive oil that claims its better? There is no way of knowing what is better. I will give credit to Amsoil, they are the only one that produces at least some tests.

Im a fan of Valvoline products and I really liked their motorcycle oil in my past bikes, though for my 14 Road King I am using Mystik JT8 CJ4 semi syn 15/50, figure I cant go wrong since Harley recommends a "CH 4" or higher oil if not using their oil. I dont really care about cost too much but the bonus is $33.00 for a 2 gallon container delivered to my door.
For the transmission and primary Im still using Harleys Formula+, transmission shifting and clutch never miss a beat.

If I was to use something other then above I would recommend Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil without hesitation as a safe choice. They sell both conventional and synthetic. But, bottom line, its whatever makes someone happy.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-18-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:48 PM
wfohog
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Schaeffers Extreme V-Twin Synthetic Plus 20W-50

I had the Syn3 replaced at 750 miles on my 2015 SGS ,shop I been dealing with highly recommended Schaeffers V-Twin 20W-50 said it was best oil he had used in twin cams . I noticed right away engine noise was quiet and the temp was lower after riding , much so over Syn3 and on a hot day in the 90s same thing very quiet with much less heat coming from engine than the Syn3 had... I have no complaints excellent oil , will continue to use.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 AM
kopper
2nd Gear
Default Oil

HI There AMSOIL 20/50 motor oil , I fine is the best . Forget the rest . Tried many brands of oil . Got a temperature dipstick gauge , bike runs 10 degrees cooler with amsoil . That what sold me . I run 75/140 AMSOIL gear lube in the tranny , not motor oil in tranny . Never had any problems since changing to AMSOIL . Do not take my word for it . TRY IT . Your bike will like it . kopper

Old 08-01-2016, 08:46 PM
BinksFXSTS
Stage III

i run 100 aeroshell. best stuff money can buy it is oil for radial engine airplanes.

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike