Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.14%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.64%
Amsoil
27.49%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6847. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 05:49 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Spectro now for over 2 decades, day in/day out, in thousands of services, and new engine builds here.
Not an oil "expert", but it sure works well for us, and our clients.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I've said the same thing about Amsoil products. Others have said the same thing about their brand oil.

At the end of the day, ALL syn motorcycle oils are just fine ----- no engine will explode using any of them - - - even dino oils if changed more often.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:47 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

It's a known fact, engine builders, both automotive & motorcycle, are NOT "oil experts"! Thousands of rebuilt flat tappet muscle car motors, have Blown Up, because of using today's oils, with No Zinc ? You'd think an engine builder would know better?

I wouldn't use Spectro, it's a Semi/Syn Blend ! S&S had for years, given you a gal. of Mobil V-Twin, when you bought a motor! A couple of years ago, they dropped Mobil, they had Spectro, make an S&S Brand, they stopped doing that last year? What happened? My understanding is, when you buy a Baker Trans, you get a qt of Spectro 75W-140, I believe there's a note at the bottom of directions; it states, if you're an AMSOIL user, use 75W-90! What's up with that? I think it means AMSOIL is much better?

PS, When S&S came out with their own Brand, I thought to myself, is Spectro going to make a BETTER oil for S&S, than their own top tier oil? Just thought it was Strange!
PSS, It's also a known fact that OEM Dealers, Jiffy type Lubes, Indy Car & Bike shops use the cheapest oil that meet specs, often, they don't meet specs. And, if you bring your own Name Brand oil into a shop, you have never visited before, ask for the empty bottles back, that's still not a guarantee they put it in your car or bike? Beware, Be Smart, Be Safe!

Old 01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
boston jim
Contact IB Sales to have your account opened
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mandm
I use Lucas 20w-50, but it's not on the list, nor is there a category for other. It's worked fine for me. In my trucking experience, it seems that some engines prefer certain oils, don't ask me to explain why because I have no explanation. If a brand of oil works for your bike, use it, change it regularly, and you'll be fine. There's no magic oil. Just my opinion.
Mandm, There's a reason, Lucas has NO MAGIC! It tests, last, or next to last in most M/C oil study's!

Old 01-20-2017, 04:31 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by boston jim
Mandm, There's a reason, Lucas has NO MAGIC! It tests, last, or next to last in most M/C oil study's!
===============================================

" It tests, last, or next to last in most M/C oil study's![/QUOTE] "

Correct,Lucas MC oil came in 16th (basically bottom of the barrel) out of the 17 20w-50 MC oils tested by Amsoil.

The 4 top preforming 20w-50 MC oils in that test were, Amsoil MCV /M1-V-TWIN/SPECTRO/HD-SYN3 which were all full syn oils.

Will an HD motor running the same type Lucas oil that came in 16th of 17 oils tested self destruct ,not likely.

But will one of the top 4 performing oils better protect an HD v-twin esp in traffic in summer heat,absolutely.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 03-04-2017 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
boston jim (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

It's a known fact, engine builders, both automotive & motorcycle, are NOT "oil experts"! Thousands of rebuilt flat tappet muscle car motors, have Blown Up, because of using today's oils, with No Zinc ? You'd think an engine builder would know better?

I wouldn't use Spectro, it's a Semi/Syn Blend ! S&S had for years, given you a gal. of Mobil V-Twin, when you bought a motor! A couple of years ago, they dropped Mobil, they had Spectro, make an S&S Brand, they stopped doing that last year? What happened? My understanding is, when you buy a Baker Trans, you get a qt of Spectro 75W-140, I believe there's a note at the bottom of directions; it states, if you're an AMSOIL user, use 75W-90! What's up with that? I think it means AMSOIL is much better?

PS, When S&S came out with their own Brand, I thought to myself, is Spectro going to make a BETTER oil for S&S, than their own top tier oil? Just thought it was Strange!
PSS, It's also a known fact that OEM Dealers, Jiffy type Lubes, Indy Car & Bike shops use the cheapest oil that meet specs, often, they don't meet specs. And, if you bring your own Name Brand oil into a shop, you have never visited before, ask for the empty bottles back, that's still not a guarantee they put it in your car or bike? Beware, Be Smart, Be Safe!
===============================

" I wouldn't use Spectro, it's a Semi/Syn Blend "

Well not really.

Spectro mfg's 20w-50 mc oil in std dino/semi-syn blend & FULL SYN that are all specifically designed & formulated for HD v-twins.

And Spectro has been mfg motorcycle specific oil for approx 55-60yrs with many of those yr's being involved in the motorcycle race community.

Spectro is what i run in my HD and classic car i have owned for just shy of 40yrs which is a #'s matching 69 chevelle SS396 4spd with great results.

I also run spectro oil in bikes and classic muscle cars i srv'c for other people too.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 01-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

It's also a known fact that OEM Dealers, Jiffy type Lubes, Indy Car & Bike shops use the cheapest oil that meet specs, often, they don't meet specs.
Just because you say it is a known fact does not make it so...

I think it is a known fact that you just make up your own known facts.

The following users liked this post:
Deuuuce (03-27-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:48 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Just because you say it is a known fact does not make it so...

I think it is a known fact that you just make up your own known facts.
Is that a fact.
Couldn't resist as I was passing by...bye.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I've said the same thing about Amsoil products. Others have said the same thing about their brand oil.

At the end of the day, ALL syn motorcycle oils are just fine ----- no engine will explode using any of them - - - even dino oils if changed more often.
=========================

AGREE.

Scott

Old 03-03-2017, 07:56 PM
TonySpurlock
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 Ultra Limited with 400 mile's I got a case of Amsoil 20-50 sly. I have had other bike's and run Amsoil in them. Love the oil. I would like to know if you run this oil in all three holes of the Harley. Please call me. 304-962-1664. Thank You.

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike