Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.14%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.64%
Amsoil
27.49%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6847. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:42 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by HeritageRider2012
There are numerous independent tests that have been conducted over the years. Yes, AMSOIL uses the tests to promote their product as any manufacturer would do. One of the tests can be accessed by this link, http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf.
I'm not convinced that this test is independent. Scroll down to the very bottom of page 12 and you will see Amsoil's name. It doesn't belong there. JMO

Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 PM
HeritageRider2012
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I'm not convinced that this test is independent. Scroll down to the very bottom of page 12 and you will see Amsoil's name. It doesn't belong there. JMO
The AMSOIL name is also on the first page. That is not an indication that the test was performed by them. Look on page 2 and you will see this note:

Note:
Test results published in this Technical Study describe and represent properties of oils that were
acquired on the dates listed in Table 1 (page 3). Results do not apply to any subsequent reformulations of
such oils or to new oils introduced after completion of testing. All oils were available to consumers at the time
of purchase. Testing was completed February 2013 by an independent, third-party lab. Formulations were
coded to eliminate bias, and samples were tested in random order. An appropriate number of trials of each oil
were run to produce results at the 95 percent confidence level when compared to Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil.

I will not try to further convince you, but will let the tests and practical applications speak for themselves. As I said, everyone has a choice on which lubricant to use and my choice is AMSOIL.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HeritageRider2012

I will not try to further convince you, but will let the tests and practical applications speak for themselves. As I said, everyone has a choice on which lubricant to use and my choice is AMSOIL.
[/FONT]
And who might this third party lab be?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Erbie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Erbie, lighten up. Didn't you see the smiley face? I was kidding you. I was using you as an example of what HDMikie was doing with me. Just mentioning a brand name oil more then once - you with Mobil1 and me with Amsoil - you get called a cheerleader - so I was taking Mikie's place - as a joke. I'm waiting for him to call you a cheerleader - I don't know what's taking him so long.

As for changing every 3K miles with syn = pure hogwash, plane and simple.
Most people get rid of their cars before 7 years(use to be 5 years) that's not enough time for what little metal filings there are in the oil to do any damage. It's like wax, most wax has an abrasive in it - very minuscule, but there. It would take a very long time for it to do any damage to your paint. I'm sure that the oil producers and the car mfg's have tested oils and filters and timelines and have come up with their recommendations and if they say 5K to 10K oil changes, then that's fine by me. I believe them more then I do anyone who has no knowledge about oils/filters.

BTW: Amsoil doesn't cost that much more the other syn oils if at all. It all depends on what the individual dealer is selling it for. If you compare the different syn motorcycle specific oils, you'll see they're about the same price - same with auto oils. Don't compare a car oil with a motorcycle oil. I sell Amsoil cheaper (usually $2 to $4/qt less.
As far as Amsoil, you have never read a single word I have wrote that in any way runs down Amsoil. Because I use Mobil 1 does not say Amsoil is junk. It does say it is easier to find. I am a filter person and believe oils are to close to being the same. As for the 3000 miles per oil change my 70 cars had a 7000 mile oil change on them, the new cars "in the manual" say 3000 miles. What is the life expectancy of a car today as compared to the average car in say 1972? As for not wearing your car out in the time you have it, I was looking in the paper at used cars, habit, there was a 2013 car with 40,000 miles on it already, enough said there. I don't really care how often you change your oil, just want to know what car you are selling so I can stay away from it and let someone else worry about it. Metal shavings still wear out your engine faster because of a sandpaper effect, the older you get the longer you keep your car, when you retire how many years you going to keep that one? Oh I said cars, your motorcycle may wear even faster than that car. Especially, if it is an air cooled bike.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I'm flattered that you keep mentioning me in your (everlasting) posts. Btw, I see you are still posting your pitch about selling Amsoil. Seriously, you should consider becoming a HDFORUM sponsor.
About Erbie, he's not a cheerleader......he thinks in a very practical way and actually makes sense....unlike others here. JMO
Everlasting??? What about you? Seems like you can't keep a promise - remember saying you were done with this thread?
As long as you keep bashing AMSOIL, I'll keep responding.

Don't be flattered, I'm using you as the poster boy for ignorance.

I'm not "pitching" selling AMSOIL - I only mention it because you keep bringing it up. I mentioned it once as an example of why I am a dealer, then you , just like a liberal, misrepresent what I said and harp on it over and over again.
Again, you don't read (or can't read) my posts. I said I do it as a favour to friends - I don't HAVE to sell it. I DON'T MAKE MONEY WITH IT!!!! so why would I be a sponsor?

Fine, if someone WANTS to buy it from me at my cost and pay for shipping, I'll be glad to "sell it" to them. How many cases you want?

Of course he's a cheerleader (in your dictionary) since he keeps mentioning Mobil1.

Give me an example where he makes sense and I and others don't. Bet this will be another question you refuse to answer - so far you haven't answered one question.
He said he "Knows" that AMSOIL is a lot lighter then other oils when changed at the same time. How could he possibly know that??? Has he been at every oil change ever made? That makes sense to you???

How about you showing us an independant test, or ANY other test for that matter, showing the opposite of the so called AMSOIL tests. I'm sure all the other oil mfg's have done tests - where are those results??? Another question I already asked you once, but you refuse to answer.

Note to Erbie, I have never had a car or motorcycle wear out on me and I've owned many for many years with extended oil changes. I'm still scratching my head on your comment about that one 2013 car with 40K miles. What has that got to do with anything? I bet I could find an ad for a 2013 car with 500 miles on it - so what?
I never said you ran down AMSOIL and I never said you said AMSOIL is junk because you use Mobil1 - where did you get that from???

I can't make out half the stuff you say.
Only AMSOIL is made in a lab and all other syn oil is not????????
You're not sure what other people tell you, but you repeat it anyway????!!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Everlasting??? What about you? Seems like you can't keep a promise - remember saying you were done with this thread?
As long as you keep bashing AMSOIL, I'll keep responding.

Don't be flattered, I'm using you as the poster boy for ignorance.
Really.....REALLY! Since 8-24-13 you've posted your sales pitch 55 times.......yep that's FIFTY FIVE posts spewing a sales pitch in this thread. Now, that's everlasting (annoying is more like it). I've posted 15 times. If nothing else, you are persistent.

Btw, I'm definitely not flattered......why would I be flattered......because a liberal mentioned me......now that's funny

Have a great day!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:28 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

So which is it???? First you say you're flattered then you say you're not. Isn't that like that liberal that said "First I was against it, then I wasn't"??????? Wasn't that Kerry??
At least you keep showing your ignorance by continually posting mis-information.

Since you are so great at giving mis-information, I checked on your "facts"

Yes, I've posted 51 times + or - 1 or 2 for the WHOLE thread, but ONLY 6 times did I mention being a dealer or selling Amsoil. So you told a bold face lie saying I posted a sales pitch 55 times. At least 49 of my posts were me saying any brand name oil was fine to use - either syn or dino - not once did I put down any brand of oil or mention selling Amsoil.

My first post was #938 on page 94 of 117 pages. You posted, not, maybe 15 times, but 30 times starting before me on page 90 post #897
In post #1111 you said you had posted only 4 times up to then and I posted 30 or 40, but I counted 15 times for you. You did get mine correct at 38.
What kind of math did you get.
Then you said you were done posting, but then you went on to post many more times after that. You just can't keep your promises can you?

While checking your "facts" I did discover that someone else made more post then me.
Erbie is the winner with 53. Congrats

Wrong again, I'm 80% libertarian, 15% conservative and 5% liberal.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:57 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

So which is it???? First you say you're flattered then you say you're not. Isn't that like that liberal that said "First I was against it, then I wasn't"??????? Wasn't that Kerry??
At least you keep showing your ignorance by continually posting mis-information.

Since you are so great at giving mis-information, I checked on your "facts"

Yes, I've posted 51 times + or - 1 or 2 for the WHOLE thread, but ONLY 6 times did I mention being a dealer or selling Amsoil. So you told a bold face lie saying I posted a sales pitch 55 times. At least 49 of my posts were me saying any brand name oil was fine to use - either syn or dino - not once did I put down any brand of oil or mention selling Amsoil.

My first post was #938 on page 94 of 117 pages. You posted, not, maybe 15 times, but 30 times starting before me on page 90 post #897
In post #1111 you said you had posted only 4 times up to then and I posted 30 or 40, but I counted 15 times for you. You did get mine correct at 38.
What kind of math did you get.
Then you said you were done posting, but then you went on to post many more times after that. You just can't keep your promises can you?

While checking your "facts" I did discover that someone else made more post then me.
Erbie is the winner with 53. Congrats

Wrong again, I'm 80% libertarian, 15% conservative and 5% liberal.
But.......but........but Gary, I was flattered until I realized you're a liberal with a sales pitch who, btw, can't count. Did you graduate high school? Btw, I tried to stop replying to you....I really did.......but........but........it really is lots of fun to rattle your cage. Have you thought about becoming a HD Forums sponsor?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Instead of posting complete misinformation - AGAIN, why don't you back up your "facts"? I did for anyone that wanted to check on them. You haven't answered one single question I asked you. What's the matter Mikie afraid to get caught in all your lies?
I really do feel sorry for you, you must not have very many friend with your personallity.

PLEASE show us where I miscounted - PLEASE!!! and while you're at it show us your numbers. I dare you to post all the post numbers where I mention I'm a dealer and "spew" a sales pitch.....other then the 6 times I already admitted to. Sure would like to see all those 55 times you said I did. Come on, let the rest of the forum see who's right. Scared aren't you?

Just goes to show how smart you are when you thought I was flattering you = bru hahahahahahahahaha.

Play it safe and stay indoors today, ok?

Have a good day. Bye-Bye

Nope, never thought about it, but thanks for looking out for me, I appreciate it. Maybe one day you'll buy some AMSOIL from me. ROTFLMAO

Last edited by GARY DYER; 04-23-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Instead of posting complete misinformation - AGAIN, why don't you back up your "facts"? I did for anyone that wanted to check on them. You haven't answered one single question I asked you. What's the matter Mikie afraid to get caught in all your lies?
I really do feel sorry for you, you must not have very many friend with your personallity.

PLEASE show us where I miscounted - PLEASE!!! and while you're at it show us your numbers. I dare you to post all the post numbers where I mention I'm a dealer and "spew" a sales pitch.....other then the 6 times I already admitted to. Sure would like to see all those 55 times you said I did. Come on, let the rest of the forum see who's right. Scared aren't you?

Just goes to show how smart you are when you thought I was flattering you = bru hahahahahahahahaha.

Play it safe and stay indoors today, ok?

Have a good day. Bye-Bye

Nope, never thought about it, but thanks for looking out for me, I appreciate it. Maybe one day you'll buy some AMSOIL from me. ROTFLMAO
Yep, you are very persistent.....and STILL can't count. Besides the 6 times you admitted to, how about all those times you mentioned "that you didn't mention you are a dealer"? Come on Garilyn, give it a break. By now, yes, everyone knows you LOVE Amwaysoil and that you SELL Amwaysoil. Your mission is accomplished. I'll continue to reply to your sales pitch as long as you keep spewing or a moderator locks the thread (which I hope happens soon). Btw, if you need me I'll be out in the garage changing oil in my Fatboy......will be using Castrol GTX 20wx50

Almost forgot, I have plenty of non-cheerleading friends AND I won't be buying any Amwaysoil from you anytime soon!!! Have a great day!

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike