Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil 1 V Twin
28.67%
Mobil 1 20/50 gold cap
4.45%
Redline
7.16%
Royal purple
4.22%
Rev tech
1.02%
Bel Ray
0.66%
HD 360
9.32%
Syn 3
16.63%
Amsoil
27.48%
Dynacycle
0.39%
Voters: 6848. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:20 PM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mobile 1 in motor only
HD in gear and tranny

The following users liked this post:
TonySpurlock (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 AM
hawk61
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20/50 rock oil in engine 75/90 gear oil gearbox and atf in primary

TonySpurlock (03-05-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:39 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by TonySpurlock
I have a 2016 Ultra Limited with 400 mile's I got a case of Amsoil 20-50 sly. I have had other bike's and run Amsoil in them. Love the oil. I would like to know if you run this oil in all three holes of the Harley. Please call me. 304-962-1664. Thank You.
Absolutely not!! 3 Different holes, 3 different requirements, 3 different lubes

Amsoil 20/50 (summer) - (10/40 winter) in the engine
Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear in the trans
H-D Formula+ in the primary.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:40 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Absolutely not!! 3 Different holes, 3 different requirements, 3 different lubes

Amsoil 20/50 (summer) - (10/40 winter) in the engine
Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear in the trans
H-D Formula+ in the primary.
==========================

DITTO!

Gary's right on the money.

The 3 diff holes do in fact have significantly diff lube requirements so when you have lube/oil specifically designed & formulated for best protecting each of the 3 diff applications with diff operating cond & lube requirements they will be protected better,end of story.

Will the trans and prim self destruct any time soon if non specific 20w-50 motor oil is run in them?

NO.

But will the 20w-50 motor oil thats not specifically designed & formulated for the very diff operating cond of trans & prim case provide best protection for longest srv'c life of those components?

NO.

The diff oils rec for each of the 3 diff holes on the HD are formulated with diff types and amounts of various elements (chems) in the chem additive pkg of each of those oils (motor oil/trans oil/prim case oil) to provide best protection in each app which motor oil alone can't do as good a job of due to it not having best overall formula to do so.

Bottom line is even if someone doesn't believe there is any diff in the 3 diff types oil or that running motor in all 3 holes may not be an issue long term there isnt that that much diff in price to run properly formulated oil/lube in all 3 holes of our HD's.

So to error on safe side why the heck not take the time to ensure you have proper oil on hand (takes me 5 mins to order online) so you can run the proper oil in each hole to remove any doubt esp if you were to have significant costly component failure in the trans or prim case when running 20-50 motor oil in either of them?

Thats just good old common sense IMHO.

And BTW,in case your wondering where i am coming from and or what experience i have when posting rec or suggestions here in HDForums it's not coming from just experience with few bikes or cars over the yrs,i have 46yrs+ of 1st hand exp wrenching bikes/cars (not just for myself,father was in car biz for 30ish yrs involving me & did work for many people over the yrs too) including completely rebuilding motors with specializing in perf tuning carbs & timing for street perf apps in bikes and cars ,installing per cams etc along with doing restoration work on classic 60's-70's muscle cars too.

And to add to that i have also been doing a side project/interest of mine starting later in 2005 researching motor oil including sending oil to certified test lab facilities to get various lvl's of chems in their additive pkgs along with also talking to oil & chemical engineers @ multiple oil co's & oil additive mfg's too so have a decent background there too.

Some of my research was specifically asking the oil engineers what the diff was between car motor oil and motorcycle specific motor oils getting straight from the mfg's themselves that there is a sig diff in the way those oils are formulated to better protect a trans or prim case in an HD vs the motor in an HD.

Other parts of my research was on the subject of negative affect of greatly reduced zddp/zinc & phos anti wear additive in todays motor oil that has detramental long term affect on flt tappet cam apps esp aftermarket cars that have more aggressive lobe design with higher/stronger valve spring rates requiring the higher zddp/anti wera agent lvl's that the avg motor had many yrs ago which was in the rough 1300-1500ppm range vs todays motor oil having only 800-900ppm on avg with some as low as 650-700ppm and as high as 1100ppm ,few are still 1300ppm if you know which they are.

But there are plenty of oils avail today for ft cam perf apps like for example valvoline vr1,brad penn grade1,spectro motorguard series,per oil from M1,Amsoil,Lucas and many more now offer perf oil for older Ft cam apps to keep them safe from premature wear & or failure when using todays oil with lower zddp/anti wear agent lvl's.

The zddp/anti wear agent lvl's were reduced due to gov/epa regs mandating to do so because higher zddp lvl's (in some cases,not all) were leading to premature cat converter failure & emission issues along with in some cases warranty issues with @ car mfg's too.

So i didnt mention the above to boast or anything like that,it was to let people know what i post is coming from my 4.5+ decades of 1st hand exp wrenching bikes/cars along with approx 12yrs researching motor as a sideline interest is where i get experience and information straight from engineers @ oil & oil additive mfg's so they know i am not just posting BS with little 1st hand exp or facts (from engineers @ oil & oil additive mfg's & actual oil testing) to back up what i am posting.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 03-06-2017 at 11:26 AM.
DMetcalf (03-06-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 09:14 AM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys - Mobil 20/50 user here, but what i wanted to know does anyone use engine oil additives. Ive seen one i like the look of but still on the fence
cheers
Mal

Old 03-23-2017, 09:57 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Absolutely not!! - that's just me.

I think Amsoil has enough of an additive package in their motorcycle specific syn oil to suit me.

And I think other mfg's have pretty much the same to a lesser degree.

motorcyclemal (03-24-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcyclemal
Hey guys - Mobil 20/50 user here, but what i wanted to know does anyone use engine oil additives. Ive seen one i like the look of but still on the fence
cheers
Mal
I used Mobile 20/50
What are you thinking of using? And why?
I don't believe it's required but depends on what you are trying to achieve, the climate you ride in, how often you run your engine.
Today's oils meet and have all the specs. Required for your engine.
Marvel Mystery Oil is a popular additive.
You can add additives to your fuel also.
I occasionally burn 100 oct. Just to get more lead onto my valves.
Mostly personal preference.

motorcyclemal (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:49 PM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
==========================

DITTO!

Gary's right on the money.

The 3 diff holes do in fact have significantly diff lube requirements so when you have lube/oil specifically designed & formulated for best protecting each of the 3 diff applications with diff operating cond & lube requirements they will be protected better,end of story.

Will the trans and prim self destruct any time soon if non specific 20w-50 motor oil is run in them?

NO.

But will the 20w-50 motor oil thats not specifically designed & formulated for the very diff operating cond of trans & prim case provide best protection for longest srv'c life of those components?

NO.

The diff oils rec for each of the 3 diff holes on the HD are formulated with diff types and amounts of various elements (chems) in the chem additive pkg of each of those oils (motor oil/trans oil/prim case oil) to provide best protection in each app which motor oil alone can't do as good a job of due to it not having best overall formula to do so.

Bottom line is even if someone doesn't believe there is any diff in the 3 diff types oil or that running motor in all 3 holes may not be an issue long term there isnt that that much diff in price to run properly formulated oil/lube in all 3 holes of our HD's.

So to error on safe side why the heck not take the time to ensure you have proper oil on hand (takes me 5 mins to order online) so you can run the proper oil in each hole to remove any doubt esp if you were to have significant costly component failure in the trans or prim case when running 20-50 motor oil in either of them?

Thats just good old common sense IMHO.

And BTW,in case your wondering where i am coming from and or what experience i have when posting rec or suggestions here in HDForums it's not coming from just experience with few bikes or cars over the yrs,i have 46yrs+ of 1st hand exp wrenching bikes/cars (not just for myself,father was in car biz for 30ish yrs involving me & did work for many people over the yrs too) including completely rebuilding motors with specializing in perf tuning carbs & timing for street perf apps in bikes and cars ,installing per cams etc along with doing restoration work on classic 60's-70's muscle cars too.

And to add to that i have also been doing a side project/interest of mine starting later in 2005 researching motor oil including sending oil to certified test lab facilities to get various lvl's of chems in their additive pkgs along with also talking to oil & chemical engineers @ multiple oil co's & oil additive mfg's too so have a decent background there too.

Some of my research was specifically asking the oil engineers what the diff was between car motor oil and motorcycle specific motor oils getting straight from the mfg's themselves that there is a sig diff in the way those oils are formulated to better protect a trans or prim case in an HD vs the motor in an HD.

Other parts of my research was on the subject of negative affect of greatly reduced zddp/zinc & phos anti wear additive in todays motor oil that has detramental long term affect on flt tappet cam apps esp aftermarket cars that have more aggressive lobe design with higher/stronger valve spring rates requiring the higher zddp/anti wera agent lvl's that the avg motor had many yrs ago which was in the rough 1300-1500ppm range vs todays motor oil having only 800-900ppm on avg with some as low as 650-700ppm and as high as 1100ppm ,few are still 1300ppm if you know which they are.

But there are plenty of oils avail today for ft cam perf apps like for example valvoline vr1,brad penn grade1,spectro motorguard series,per oil from M1,Amsoil,Lucas and many more now offer perf oil for older Ft cam apps to keep them safe from premature wear & or failure when using todays oil with lower zddp/anti wear agent lvl's.

The zddp/anti wear agent lvl's were reduced due to gov/epa regs mandating to do so because higher zddp lvl's (in some cases,not all) were leading to premature cat converter failure & emission issues along with in some cases warranty issues with @ car mfg's too.

So i didnt mention the above to boast or anything like that,it was to let people know what i post is coming from my 4.5+ decades of 1st hand exp wrenching bikes/cars along with approx 12yrs researching motor as a sideline interest is where i get experience and information straight from engineers @ oil & oil additive mfg's so they know i am not just posting BS with little 1st hand exp or facts (from engineers @ oil & oil additive mfg's & actual oil testing) to back up what i am posting.

Scott

Great article. Very good information here. Thanks for sharing..!

Old 03-24-2017, 06:07 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Absolutely not!! - that's just me.

I think Amsoil has enough of an additive package in their motorcycle specific syn oil to suit me.

And I think other mfg's have pretty much the same to a lesser degree.
The heat in the summer here is an engine killer and the guys who've been riding over here for a while say they use an additive. Never used one myself before so maybe i;ll find out some more about it before i jump
cheers

Old 03-24-2017, 06:19 PM
motorcyclemal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLRoadKing
I used Mobile 20/50
What are you thinking of using? And why?
I don't believe it's required but depends on what you are trying to achieve, the climate you ride in, how often you run your engine.
Today's oils meet and have all the specs. Required for your engine.
Marvel Mystery Oil is a popular additive.
You can add additives to your fuel also.
I occasionally burn 100 oct. Just to get more lead onto my valves.
Mostly personal preference.
Hiya mate
i was thinking of this stuff
http://www.everglideoil.com
basically because its hotter than hell here in the summer- not bothered about more mpg, but the extra protection sounded good
Cheers

Quick Reply: What Brand Engine Oil do you use in your bike