Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Redline shockproof
22.97%
HD Trans oil
10.88%
Mobil 1 -75/90
16.06%
Mobil 1- other
4.88%
Amsoil
19.69%
Syn 3
10.86%
Bel Ray
4.77%
Dyna cycle Trans oil
0.11%
Rev Tech
0.68%
Other
9.10%
Voters: 5286. You may not vote on this poll

What TRANS oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HD 110 cubic inch bikes come with the HD Syn3 in them as I see they have a sticker on the primmary stating it. I would get it out as the Syn3 is not a true syn., as I understand, it is only a group 3 syn., and group 4&5's are your true syn., oils. At the price they want for the Syn3 one can buy a true syn., lub oil which will preform and protect much better then the HD Syn3. My 2 cents or 1

Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
terryb4471
Advanced

Mobil 1 75-90. No problems and shifts fine

Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Switched a couple of months ago from Mobil 1 75w90 to Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Redline website advises against Heavyweight Shockproof in Sportsters and recommends Lightweight. Shifts seem quieter and neutral is definitely easier to find than with the Mobil 1 or the factory fill.

2010 883L

Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM
sailingwj
Intermediate
Red face Amsoil all three, like it but always lookin

Originally Posted by roysays
I put the Amsoil Severe Gear 75/110 in, I can't say I see any differeance between that and the HD Syn 3 I had in it.
still clunks when I shift and it's still the same finding neutral.

if you look at the Amsoil web site they actually say to use thier 20/50 synthetic motor oil in the tranny for the first choice.
I enjoy the oil debates......I will say Amsoil is the only one who prints sworn tests, the rest just make claims(I'm not a dealer although I've been a user of synthetics(Mobil 1 and Amsoil) since the 70's with millions of miles(mostly car/truck) and great results). I use the Amsoil 20w-50 in the primary and engine, works great and my hope is the tests are valid and I'm cutting wear....25%, would add allot of life to my 2007 Deluxe that I bought to retire and die with.
I put the same in the tranny first change and saw a little difference, (smoother) over the stuff the stealer put in at the 1k (HD 360), I always break in with dino, only problem I ever had w/synthetics was a late 70's car I changed day one and it always used a little oil...the rings didn't seat right)....(I took the dino out at 2k used it as a flush and put 20W50 in like I said smoother). I recently put the Severe Gear 75W-90 in the tranny and it got even better. I then read it might be a problem with yellow metals(copper/brass) so I wrote Amsoil. They had an engineer answer saying the tranny never gets hot enough to cause the suggested problem...and Severe Gear was a great option, although they said 75W-140 would be the best choice and they only suggest MCV 20W-50 in the charts because of Harley recommendations. I'll try the heaver next time as I just put the 75W-90 in. Last point.....and I can't believe someone here suggested this doesn't matter...both the primary and tranny mag plugs were loaded with filings when I took the HD oil out that the stealer put in.....they said they did the service at 1k but i wonder....maybe it was the original and reflected break in. I've changed both twice at about 3k because I was concerned.....almost no filings with the Amsoil, CLEAN both times. If that doesn't matter, what does, and why even bother reading these forums?
Did I say last point......I forgot to mention the oil temp dropped about 10-15 deg F near as I can tell when I put the Amsoil in the engine....reduced friction...right....conditions are hard to match exactly but they are lower over all 10-15 deg F!

Last edited by sailingwj; 12-16-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: After thought
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
dfndr
Road Master

Isn't 75-90 gear oil the same weight as 20-50 motor oil?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

dfndr if you look at Amsoil's [ www.amsoil.com ] site you will see that the weight of their 75W90 gear lub is pretty much the same viscosity as a 10W40 oil at 40C and 100C, too light a weight I think for the trans.. I use their 75W110 lub, as it is pretty much the same viscosity as their MCV 20W50 motorcycle engine oil and the gear lub has a GL 5 rating for gear case where as their MCV has only a GL1 rating.The gear lub has a much lower pour point too if you are riding and starting up in colder weather too. You could also use their 75W140 gear lub if you perfer a heavier weight lub oil. I have used the 75W140 gear oil with pretty much the same results as the 75W110. On the Amsoil site you can see all the specs for their engine oils, gear lubs etc. You can also see the tests that Amsoil has had done by outside test companys, testing their engine oils and gear lubs against other brands. Like me and others out here I hope it is all true the Amsoil info. As for Amsoil saying our trans never gets hot enough in the post before yours, try putting ones hand on the trans on a hot summer day and you will burn ones hand for sure. How hot is hot to them I am wondering, maybe sailingwj who got the answer back that their gear lub is ok in our trans can call them and ask how hot is too hot. I did not think that we had any yellow metal in our trans so therefor there would be no problem using their gear lubs?????? my 2 cents or 1.

Last edited by Diesel2; 12-17-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 AM
sailingwj
Intermediate
Default If I understood correctly......

Originally Posted by Diesel2
dfndr if you look at Amsoil's [ www.amsoil.com ] site you will see that the weight of their 75W90 gear lub is pretty much the same viscosity as a 10W40 oil at 40C and 100C, too light a weight I think for the trans.. I use their 75W110 lub, as it is pretty much the same viscosity as their MCV 20W50 motorcycle engine oil and the gear lub has a GL 5 rating for gear case where as their MCV has only a GL1 rating.The gear lub has a much lower pour point too if you are riding and starting up in colder weather too. You could also use their 75W140 gear lub if you perfer a heavier weight lub oil. I have used the 75W140 gear oil with pretty much the same results as the 75W110. On the Amsoil site you can see all the specs for their engine oils, gear lubs etc. You can also see the tests that Amsoil has had done by outside test companys, testing their engine oils and gear lubs against other brands. Like me and others out here I hope it is all true the Amsoil info. As for Amsoil saying our trans never gets hot enough in the post before yours, try putting ones hand on the trans on a hot summer day and you will burn ones hand for sure. How hot is hot to them I am wondering, maybe sailingwj who got the answer back that their gear lub is ok in our trans can call them and ask how hot is too hot. I did not think that we had any yellow metal in our trans so therefor there would be no problem using their gear lubs?????? my 2 cents or 1.
The e-mail I got back from Amsoil suggested an additive could fall out of suspension and somehow effect yellow metals at certain temp....although they didn't say what that temp was, but they did say it wasn't a concern! As I reflect....these gear oils are designed for environments exactly like this so I'm sure the temperature suggested was no where near causing a problem. I looked through the service manual for my 6 speed and I can't tell if the races are brass as it doesn't say in the description...I don't intend to open it to see :-) Most of the bearings are clearly roller....not brass races. I'm sure someone on this site opens these things up for repairs, maybe they could chime in, although I think its all moot as Amsoil was very reassuring. Look at their independent tests almost zero wear......a tractor trailer hauling tons would produce allot more heat in the tranny than my putt and butt. Like we both said if we can trust these independent tests that NOBODY else dares post, we are using the best products available. No one has ever posted any evidence to the contrary, just allot of nebulous opinion. My dad always said opinions are like butts everybody has one. Opinions are just that....show me the evidence I'm easily convinced!! I like this stuff....keeps you thinking My original quote and one of my life motto's "Don't let'm turn you mind to mush"

Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 AM
eazyride
Cruiser

hey all,

been using formula+. But now thinking to change with other brands like mobil 1 or redline.
since it's mostly warm here, i'd choose 75w-140 for the 5speed dyna.
but not so sure for the 6 speed ultra, can i use the same weight or does it have to use 6 gear lube specifically?

safe ride!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:32 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm going to put in Redline VT Shockproof this spring... much of my riding will be in temps in the 30's. Any reason that I shouldn't use Shockproof in cold weather (sub 40's)?

TIA

Old 12-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Diesel2
Cruiser

We need to ask a HD mech., if our trans have any brass[yellow metal] in them. They will have the answer I am sure. If we needed a gear lub for yellow metal, Amsoil makes a GL4 gear lub [MTG] which is ok for yellow metals, but it is only a 75W90 which I think is to lite a vicosity I believe.

Quick Reply: What TRANS oil do you use?