Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

is ROYAL-PURPLE car oil also group IV syntetic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Bobber Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is ROYAL-PURPLE car oil also group IV syntetic?

Hey all.
So, other then compatibility with JASO-MA, are there any other significant differences between
ROYAL-PURPLE CYCLE-MAX 20W50 and ROYAL-PURPLE car 20W50 oils?
is thecarversionalso group IV syntethic as the cycle-max?
is there any justification to paying twice the money?
or can I safely use the car oil in the crank of my Bob?

and please dont sen't me to buy Amsoil or Mobil-1.
They are not available in Israel.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 PM
hounddog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is ROYAL-PURPLE car oil also group IV syntetic?

well i've used royal purp in my crank and thats it so far and it was the car stuff. i asked the same questions you did but i asked the guys at royal purple. he said the car stuff is fine for all 3 holes but for best results you should use the cycle max but its not nessecary. thats what i was told. i think i would run the car stuff in the crank and primary but the 75-90 mobile or the amsoil severe gear is a good bet in the trans. ive tried them all except the mobile 1. i personally like amsoil i run it in my 4-wheeler and dirt bikes for years and years with no prob. and have ran it in all 3 holes on the dyna for 10k or more with no probs as well. and thats all in the arizona heat!!! it all comes down to how easy it is to get and how much, i think they all perform well in all conditions

Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would get on the RP website and ask their tech support people to know for sure if the additive packages are the same. My guess is that they are different with the Jaso rated oil having more additives.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bobber Rider

Hey all.
So, other then compatibility with JASO-MA, are there any other significant differences between
ROYAL-PURPLE CYCLE-MAX 20W50 and ROYAL-PURPLE car 20W50 oils?
is thecarversionalso group IV syntethic as the cycle-max?
is there any justification to paying twice the money?
or can I safely use the car oil in the crank of my Bob?

and please dont sen't me to buy Amsoil or Mobil-1.
They are not available in Israel.
The 20w50 "car" oil is fine in your bike, and even has the diesel rating suggested by HD. If you want to try a very trick mix, use 3:1 (touring) or 2:1 (non-touring) 20w50 and RP Nitro 50. The latter is designed for nitromethane-burning dragsters and is heavily fortified with anti-friction additives. I was given this tip by the chemical guru at Royal Purple in 1998, who said he ran this combo in his bike, and used it in my '96 RK until 2006 when I traded it in. That bike ran for 106k, never had the heads removed (thus no engine work), and had the same compression (158/158) and oil consumption as in 1998. It's oil temperature rarely exceeded 180° (measured in pan), never exceeding 200°. In that conversation I was told it would increase lubricity 200% or more and would control temperatures and friction better than any other combination.

I called this guy again in 2006 and asked if the mix was better than MaxCycle alone, and he said that it was. In that conversation, he did say that mixing MaxCycle and Nitro 50 would be an even better combo, but he would stick to the original formula that worked so well for me before. The downside is that Nitro 50 is about $200/pail (5 gal.) wholesale, and is not available by the quart. I am running RP 20w50 in my new SG at this time, but when I hit about 6k I will change to the "mix."