Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Quicksilver 20w50

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:24 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jpowell490
Yea I think your infrared will be good, but only if it is taken at the same amount of time.

So, motor has been on and moving for 30 min or whatever, weather (temp) should be relatively the same, etc. However, at any rate, it will be cooler.

Also, what type of synthetic do you plan on using? Some say synthetic, but they are not. HD syn3 is not full synthetic.
Then how does Harley get away with advertising that their Syn3 oil is a full synthetic??

Old 11-08-2014, 05:34 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by jpowell490
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2755273

Check out that thread and really that whole board.

Who said anything about Amsoil advertising? I don't like all that either, but the fact remains, people have done numerous oil samples of Amsoil and it performs better than anything I have seen.

If you have it dead set in your mind that you don't believe that synthetic runs any cooler, then there is nothing anyone can do to change that.

However, if you are an open minded, educated individual, then get you a digital thermometer dipstick. Run up the road 30-45 minutes on a hot day and see what it reads. Then, come back and change your oil to Mobil1 Vtwin or Amsoil 20w50 MCF and see what it reads. I guarantee you it will be at least 20 degrees cooler.
====================================

And I'll guarantee you it Won't be 20 degrees cooler... Worked 41 yrs as Machine-repairman in one of the big 3 Auto dealing with Gear-boxes almost everyday and I can say Syn oils last longer in High Temps... """BUT"" they wont lower the overall Oil temp that much... Now if you'd said 3-5 degrees,,, I'd agree but no-way will they drop the temp 20... Your been reading or listening to the Cool-aid the a Famous Oil company puts out.. and it ain't Mobil 1.....

I did the usual stg1 at 1k on my bike and put in Syn 3 back in 08 on my 07 and it did drop the OIL temp on my Dipstick Temp gauge.. (((but))) it was only about 10 degrees total....

The most difference and Drop in Temp on my oil DipStick was achieved when I changed the cams.... then I got almost a 15 Degree difference.....

I don't believe any OIL can made a major difference (over 5*) in OIL Temp Alone!!!! just me and My experience ......

Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 AM
12Bravo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back on topic.

I've been using the Quicksilver Synthetic 20-50 for about 8 months now. I haven't had any problems with it.

The following users liked this post:
uglydave (12-22-2018)
Old 11-09-2014, 09:08 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Then how does Harley get away with advertising that their Syn3 oil is a full synthetic??
It depends what you mean by Full Synthetic, first off almost oil the oils mentioned in this forum and 90 percent of oils on your store shelf are not true synthetic oil. True synthetic oil is made out of something other then dino oil.

In the USA, by Court Ruling, ANY oil can be called Full Synthetic if it behaves in the same way as a non dino synthetic oil. Almost all the oils mentioned in here are made from or contain synthetic oil made from oil.

In Germany, synthetic oil can not be called Full Synthetic unless it is made from something other then dino oil. so for example German Castrol Synthetic oil is truly, synthetic oil, made from something other then dino oil.

USA Castrol Synthetic oil is made from Dino oil.

In the USA as long as a dino oil called Full Synthetic performs like a true full synthetic made from something other then oil, the USA courts recognizes it as synthetic.
More or less, the courts do not care what something is made out of as long as it performs as it is labeled.

Years ago there was a bid lawsuit over this between Mobile and Castrol, Castrol won and opened the door to any oil being able to be called Full Synthetic no matter what it contained, as long as it could be proved to behave in the same way as the real thing.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 11-09-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:31 PM
archiegallo
4th Gear
Default luxury addicts,that explains it.

im not an oil professional,but i would like to hear from an expert,about the blends,indifferent kinds of oil,and whats the difference? i mean harley davidson could take a pair of sneakers,put the trademark on it like a lot of items out there that are made in china,and the can sell it for a Hundred Dollars,but where talking about oil here.harley davidson oil vs quicksilver synthetic,i mean scientific facts,anyone out there??got facts?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:35 PM
archiegallo
4th Gear
Default got it!!!

alot of material to cover on oil,but like someone said as long as it does what it says it does then its ok< lol

Old 07-26-2016, 05:58 PM
archiegallo
4th Gear
Default its not new to the market.

The Quicksilver Story
Since 1950, discriminating customers have depended on the Quicksilver brand for premium quality marine parts, accessories, and engine care products. Quicksilver is one of the most trusted brands in the markets we serve. It has earned a loyal following by providing the highest quality products for more than 60 years.
Quicksilver is the premier supplier of Mercury Marine Original Equipment replacement parts and accessories. The two brands share the same DNA and same brand promise. The main differences between the two brands is where they are sold and the larger breadth of products available under the Quicksilver brand. Mercury products are sold only by Mercury Marine dealerships. Quicksilver products are available in retail stores, independent marine dealerships, powersports dealerships and local convenience stores – just about everywhere marine and powersports parts, accessories and engine care products are found. Quicksilver offers 40,000+ parts across 12 product lines, and our products can be found throughout the world.
No aftermarket company comes close to the level of research and design as Quicksilver products. And no other company tests their products like Quicksilver, either. Literally, millions of hours have been spent on fired-engine testing and analysis. Quality and integrity are paramount. Buying Quicksilver is buying performance, protection, and peace of mind.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

2 Year old thread.

archiegallo (07-28-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Timmy_J
Stage IV
Default Quicksilver 20w-50

I found this on a search from quicksilver site. Take it or leave it. Me and my fiancé are going to try it out. Quicksilver seems very confident in there product.

I have been a Mobile 1 user but getting the 5qt jug of 20w-50 is getting harder. Seems they want you to buy oil in 1qt bottles so you pay more $$$.

Attached Thumbnails Quicksilver 20w50-image.png  
uglydave (12-22-2018)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:15 AM
RickPiranha
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The way I see it you could replace the oil more frequently

You could invest on a good filter, Harley Davidson run hot I like to replace the oil at 3000 miles or close to it. The oil get so hot the color changes I like my oil to stay clear. $31.00 a gallon is a Bargain is a guy on you tube that did a Test comparison with all the 20 W 50 the end result was they all do the same. So if you want to spend more money for the same know yourself out. My oil is clean and viscocity is good she have ridden all over the US on Quick SIlver no issues. But then again I keep it running in top notch good maintainance is the key.

I have seen you make a few comments about "oil is oil". I will never understand why someone spends the amount of money that a Harley costs, only to dump garbage in the engine.

If you have to buy Wal-Mart oil, or any other oil that you pick up at the local Big Lots, then you don't need a Harley.

Chances are, if you have never heard of the oil, there is probably a reason.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Quicksilver 20w50