Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

High oil pressure after Stage 1 A/C install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:55 PM
OsoFat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High oil pressure after Stage 1 A/C install

I had a strange problem after installing the Fuel Moto stage 1 a/c, but the fix was simple. I'm just posting this for anyone else that sees this issue.

While taking a test ride after installing the new a/c and micro tuner, the bike was running great, but I noticed the oil pressure was in the high 50s. I don't normally monitor the gauge, but that seemed way too high. After running pretty steady and downshifting to a stop, white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. Holy Crap! Bike was still running fine, with no weird sounds or idiot lights, then the smoking stopped. I rode another mile to the house and pulled the plugs. The rear plug was wet. ECM or the FM micro tuner out of whack? No. I checked all the injector wiring, then I pulled the air filter, to see if blow-by oil was shooting into the throttle body. It was clear. I tried to get it to smoke again, in the garage, but all seemed good. Went on another test ride. Same results, lots of white smoke after coming to a stop. Back in the garage, I pulled the air filter and examined the breather tubes. It's kind of a tight fit, so I thought they might be kinked. Started the bike and revved it, while holding a finger near each tube. Front tube was puffing air, but the rear was not. I pulled that tube off, along with the spacer cap, and carefully reinstalled it. Started the bike and got air puffing from both tubes. Rode out again. Oil pressure was good, around 35 psi, no matter how I rode it, then it dropped as I stopped to about 10 or so, which is normal. No more smoke. Bike is running great.

Evidently, a pinched tube was causing high pressure in the top end, and forcing a small amount of oil past the rings or valves, causing the smoke. I don't think there's any permanent damage. The bike is running good and clean.

Bear