Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Scavenger TOTAL Oil Change System

Old 09-01-2014, 05:46 PM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scavenger TOTAL Oil Change System

Has any one used this system ? Is this worth the $70 bucks

Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

It Does what it says. Its up to you if you think its worth it. You will use more oil in your oil change but that the point then isn't it... Also some people said they have made there own scavenger cheaper, But then everyone has different money situations.
I will tell you this, on my new softtail the service manual says 3.5 qts dry and 3.0 qts wet. But when most people change the oil in a softy they say it only takes 2.5 qts makes you wonder where the last qts is ....don't it....swifty

Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Is it worth it? No! I've done half a million miles on bikes without one and cannot see any benefit of getting out that little extra. There will still be old oil in the bike when changing oil.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It isn't as straight forward as it sounds. You have to disconnect an oil line or two at the bottom of the oil tank. That in itself is enough trouble to get me not to do it, lol.

My 2014 Breakout , after draining, holds 3 quarts exactly. So I figure there is another half quart of old oil in there. Not enough to hurt anything, may not be that much left over.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh, I will add this.

I have been running Lucas and I am going to change to Amsoil again. So to get all of the Lucas out, I might go this route. Would I use it every time? Probably not, but it does seem to work well.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all your input..

Old 09-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty
I will tell you this, on my new softtail the service manual says 3.5 qts dry and 3.0 qts wet. But when most people change the oil in a softy they say it only takes 2.5 qts makes you wonder where the last qts is ....don't it....swifty
If you have ever disassembled a Harley engine, you will see that there is not a quart of oil left inside. Maybe 8 ounces.

The tool is a placebo.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

One version of that system uses the pipe plug in the bottom of the engine case. Over tighten that one and you got yourself a split case.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 AM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

I just used this kit two days ago. I'm a little early for my 5K but I was installing the premium oil cooler and the HD360 put in at the dealer 1K service was quite dark.

It was a little difficult re-installing the oil return line (Softail) but otherwise went as per their video. I changed to HD Syn3. The big problem I have now is that it is hard to check the oil level on the dipstick as the oil is too clear!

The oil line removal tool and drain hose are easy enough to source locally - the oil filter/puck is the item you're really paying for... Paying $70 for a complete kit or making something similar yourself is your own decision. The Scavenger puck is nicely knurled making installation and removal easier (not much space there...)

Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,204 Likes on 8,360 Posts

Originally Posted by r1cochet
I just used this kit two days ago. I'm a little early for my 5K but I was installing the premium oil cooler and the HD360 put in at the dealer 1K service was quite dark.

It was a little difficult re-installing the oil return line (Softail) but otherwise went as per their video. I changed to HD Syn3. The big problem I have now is that it is hard to check the oil level on the dipstick as the oil is too clear!

The oil line removal tool and drain hose are easy enough to source locally - the oil filter/puck is the item you're really paying for... Paying $70 for a complete kit or making something similar yourself is your own decision. The Scavenger puck is nicely knurled making installation and removal easier (not much space there...)
He can save most of that $70 here: http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...keyword=prm111 and here: http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...d=fra493205-bl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scavenger TOTAL Oil Change System