Pre-trip inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM
6gear
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pre-trip inspection

Diligence paid off, again.

Recently returned from a 250 mile ride from Saigon VN with a monsoonal downpour leading the way.

A day later began preparations for yet another road trip into remote mountain regions and on into the north. Conditions here are rough, wet and very dirty (but an equally amount of pleasure and thought provoking rides). My pre-trip ritual is thorough to include; removing tires, fuel tank and air cleaner, voltage regulator and panels behind. My eyes or hands inspect every practical component.

With new rubber front and rear I check wheel bearings to find front spinning to freely with the sound of individual bearings rolling. Not good.
Rear bearings looked and turned fine.
My records showed that I replaced front and rear at 17 k miles, now at 34 K miles I figure better to replace all again. A good thing too!
3 of the 4 bearings were checking out with leaks on the inside.
With my handy dandy homemade extraction and insertion tools the change was quick.

Steering neck needed a little adjustment.
Replaced bulbs in auxillary lamps. I do this often.

Further on I squirt a little WD 40 down the throttle and idle cables and begin that adjustment when the idle cable breaks about 5" from the top.

A couple of issues one does not want to be concerned about or deal with in these remote regions!

Has anyone ever run with just a throttle cable?

Even if time consuming cleaning and inspections result in no more than routine maintenance and a clean bike, it only takes one serious find to validate all previous time.

New cables are in transit from Singapore and I hope to be on the road by the weekend.

Ride Safe & Enjoy