Pacific Northwest Washington, Oregon and Idaho

Need help planning PCH trip, northern CA to WA

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Need help planning PCH trip, northern CA to WA

Planning our summer 15 trip. Coming from Florida, Travelling in a RV/Toy hauler. Wife, two dogs, two bikes.
Wife hasn't been to SanFran, I have not been to Yosemite.. Would like to spend time around those areas and then do the PCH to WA (which I have not seen). Only thing locked into our schedule is Sturgis, which would need be before or after doing the PCH.., figure I'll do little research on the weather to decide which.

So, here's the problem; Doing the SanFran area, and Yosemite we can do day trips, leaving the pups in the RV while on the bikes. But need to plan stops along the trip north to use as base camps. Any advise is deeply appreciated. The RV is a dually pulling a 5th wheel, so I will have the option of days in the pickup leaving scoots back at the campground.
Thanks
Mike

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We did this trip this year. Sturgis and then over to Seattle and down. Had the bike in back of the truck since the wife had heart surgery 3 months prior. Had plans to see Yosemite but didnt. Time is not your friend on this trip, so much to see. San Fran is awesome, streets are crazy steep. We winged it and stayed at Super 8 most of the time. Yellowstone, Boat ferries, Golden Gate Bridge, Big Sur,Redwood forests, Hearst Castle, Wine country, on and on. Its a great trip. We will be going back for sure. 3 weeks with Sturgis isnt near enough time.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great trip. Of a the trips my wife and I have taken, the one your planning is by far the most enjoyable in our opinion. That said there are two issues to keep in mind... Rain and fire. Planning the PCH after Sturgis puts you in Washington and Oregon during the best possible time of year for the rain concern. You'll still see some rain but most of the days are dry...drier... As far as fires are concerned, the Forrest service web site will help you negotiate road closures and smoke hazards if there are breathing concerns in your family.

My recommendation for the best possible rides are plentiful but whatever you do, I highly recommend a stay on Whidby Island with motorcycle ride over Disception Pass and along highway 20 northeast of Seattle. That is an awesome day.

I've never driven these trips in a truck or car and my wife doesn't camp, so I'll tell you, hotels are plentiful, and rates are reasonable. With a camper you will find most of the more rural hotels also have RV spots and hookups. We've never made a reservation and never regretted the freedom that lack of planning has given us.

Plan to spend a day crabbing on the Oregon coast somewhere, and have fun.

Last edited by Glockmeister; 12-11-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:13 PM
WA Cruiser
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington Trip

Like Markallamerican said, time is not your friend. While you can get a glimps of those areas, you will really miss most of the reasons to go there. I am not one for telling what to do, but from my experience you would do much better planning trips to cover less realistate and more ground. Being raised in Washington, I can tell you 3 weeks would be just enough time to see many of the major places here. North Cascades Highway, Stevens Pass, Whidby Island ( as stated above), Deception Pass is cool, Olympic Peninsula, Mt. Rainier, Snoqualmie Falls just to name a few. Granted you could see some of these from one area. Maybe find a nice place by Deception Pass and ride your bike around to some of these. The 101 drive, Oregon Coast, Idaho. There really is a lot. We go an the bikes all the time and see more and more just within 60 miles of where we live.

Happy to help you with this, just don't get in a hurry to see everything, that you really miss everything!!

Bob

Old 02-23-2015, 12:22 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About when are you going to get to WA.? lots to see and do. Whidbey is a good hit. ( my home) LOL PCH can be tricky halfway through the state. Give me a heads up might be able to help on the WET SIDE of the state.

Last edited by jackstrr; 02-23-2015 at 12:24 AM. Reason: ngfm hg,jh.jk/kll
Old 02-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like we need to start in SanFran/Yesomite first. Played with a couple different plans, looks like the only way to see the PCH and Sturgis, and hit NJ (Momma's gran kids visit before school starts)....