Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Hawaiians on a 2015 Summer Run

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 PM
PoiDog
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Hawaiians on a 2015 Summer Run

LOL! On Maui, we can't even do 100 miles in a day.... That being said, some of us are planning a SFO to Tahoe/Reno to Central Oregon, down the Oregon/California coasts and back to San Fran. We got rental (touring) bikes for 14 days. Some of us are on Social Security ... Seriously, we would like to spend time enjoying the views and not just putting hundreds of miles on daily. While most of us have circled the Big Island in a day (225 miles or so) not many of us have ridden the highways of California, Nevada and Oregon.

Made some changes thanks to input...
Day 1 - Pick up bikes San Fran to Sutter Creek or Jackson (was Placerville)
Day 2 - Sutter Creek or Jackson to Lake Tahoe via CA88/50 (Was Reno)
Day 3 - Lake Tahoe to ** somewhere on CA89?** (was Susanville) Any ideas as to lodging along CA89?
Day 4 - ** Somewhere on CA89** (was Susanville) to Mt. Shasta or Bieber? (was Klamath Falls) Any thoughts between these two?
Day 5 - Mt. Shasta or Bieber? to Klamath Falls
Day 6 - Klamath Falls to Bend
Day 7 - Bend to The Dalles (was Hood River)
Day 8 - The Dalles to Salem
Day 9 - Salem to Florence
Day 10 - Florence to Gold Beach
Day 11 - Gold Beach to Eureka
Day 12 - Eureka to Ford Bragg
Day 13 - Fort Bragg to Healdsburg
Day 14 - Healdsburg through Alexander Valley, Napa, Sonoma to San Fran
End of 14th riding day - Return bikes SFO

It was suggested to avoid the very northern end of CA1, between Eureka and Fort Bragg, and instead detour through Willits.
Mahalo, people!

Last edited by PoiDog; 10-17-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a great time here!

Old 09-27-2014, 02:07 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Primo
Have a great time here!
Mahalo e, Primo.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Day 2 - Placerville to Reno - I'd would highly recommend Rt 50 over to South Lake Tahoe then Rt 89N along west side of Lake Tahoe and then Rt 28 upto Rt 431 east and pick up 580 to Reno. Will be a little longer than just shooting up the east side of Lake Tahoe but you should have plenty of time and worth it IMO.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:51 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
Day 2 - Placerville to Reno - I'd would highly recommend Rt 50 over to South Lake Tahoe then Rt 89N along west side of Lake Tahoe and then Rt 28 upto Rt 431 east and pick up 580 to Reno. Will be a little longer than just shooting up the east side of Lake Tahoe but you should have plenty of time and worth it IMO.
Thanks for the info. Another consideration was to overnight at Sutter Creek instead of Placerville, then take 88 out of Sutter Creek to Tahoe. Still workin' on it, though. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by PoiDog
Thanks for the info. Another consideration was to overnight at Sutter Creek instead of Placerville, then take 88 out of Sutter Creek to Tahoe. Still workin' on it, though. Thanks for the input.
That looks good also. I am a fan of the west side of Lake Tahoe and going across Rt 431.

You have enough planning time that if folks from the areas on your itinerary chime in, your group will have an even better mainland tour.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Mahalo, Xcrossbow.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:02 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I live in Portland and go to CA every year. Your route is good but let me make a recommendation. Reno to Susanville is only "OK". I recommend that you go up CA89. You can either backtrack to Truckee or go up US395 to CA70 and go left to Portola. This route will take you to Lake Almanor and over Mt Lassen. From there head east on CA299 to Bieber then north on a paved county road (Bieber Lookout Rd) up to CA 139/39 to Klamath Falls. If you want, you can head to Susanville from Lake Almanor if you want but Mt Lassen on CA89 is so much better.
Also, San Francisco to Placerville is mainly freeway. For another route, take CA 4 in Martinez and take it across the state and across the Sierra. Most will agree that it is one of the better passes over the mountains.
And finally, and you may have this already planned, DO NOT be tempted in taking CA 1 off US101 in Leggett. Yes, it is the actual begining of CA1 but it is an incredibly difficult road (tons of 20mph hairpin turns with the occasional logging truck- no fun). Go to Willits and then to Ft Bragg on CA20.

Last edited by DBlass; 10-15-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:06 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Originally Posted by DBlass
I live in Portland and go to CA every year. Your route is good but let me make a recommendation. Reno to Susanville is only "OK". I recommend that you go up CA89. You can either backtrack to Truckee or go up US395 to CA70 and go left to Portola. This route will take you to Lake Almanor and over Mt Lassen. From there head east on CA299 to Bieber then north on a paved county road (Bieber Lookout Rd) up to CA 139/39 to Klamath Falls. If you want, you can head to Susanville from Lake Almanor if you want but Mt Lassen on CA89 is so much better.
Also, San Francisco to Placerville is mainly freeway. For another route, take CA 4 in Martinez and take it across the state and across the Sierra. Most will agree that it is one of the better passes over the mountains.
And finally, and you may have this already planned, DO NOT be tempted in taking CA 1 off US101 in Leggett. Yes, it is the actual begining of CA1 but it is an incredibly difficult road (tons of 20mph hairpin turns with the occasional logging truck- no fun). Go to Willits and then to Ft Bragg on CA20.
Mahalo... We appreciate your input.

We agreed to try to try and avoid as many freeways as possible. The SFO to Placerville route has been re-done; instead, we plan on heading inland probably via Jackson on CA88, through the mountains and then into Lake Tahoe. From Tahoe north... I've got a couple of questions. We did discuss the option to skirt the west side of Lake Tahoe, then go up CA89 as you indicate, and not go into Reno at all. An overall concern of the group of oldsters was to try to limit seat-time to (as nearly as possible) under 4 hours a day. If we chose to remain on CA89 to Lake Almanor and then head east to Susanville, we'd be pretty close to 4 hours (at least according to GoogleMaps estimate). I'm pretty sure we could find accommodations somewhere along CA89, perhaps close to or at Lake Almanor. Anything you would recommend? YES! We do want to continue on CA89 through Lassen National Park. What about are your thoughts about overnight in Mt. Shasta vs Bieber?

Also, a big thanks about avoiding CA1 at it's northern end. Willits it shall be. Again, I appreciate your (and of course others') help.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 PM
PoiDog
Tourer

Made more changes, again because of input from those more in the know than me... LOL! BIG Mahalo!

Day 1 - Pick up bikes in San Francisco, ride to the coast, south through Pacifica and Half Moon Bay; turn inland and across the San Mateo Bridge and head out to Sutter Creek or Jackson. While it does add a little time to the day's ride, I think the scenery may be worth it. And it somewhat allows us options to avoid freeways. Make sense?

Day 2 - Sutter Creek or Jackson to Lake Tahoe via CA88/50
Day 3 - Lake Tahoe to Mineral, CA (was ** somewhere on CA89?**)
Day 4 - Mineral, CA to Mt. Shasta (was Bieber, was Klamath Falls)
Day 5 - Mount Shasta to Klamath Falls
Day 6 - Klamath Falls to Bend
Day 7 - Bend to The Dalles (was Hood River)
Day 8 - The Dalles to Salem
Day 9 - Salem to Florence
Day 10 - Florence to Gold Beach
Day 11 - Gold Beach to Eureka
Day 12 - Eureka to Ford Bragg
Day 13 - Fort Bragg to Healdsburg
Day 14 - Healdsburg through Alexander Valley, Calistoga, Napa, Sonoma to make our way into the city to spend the final night. We'll top-off fuel and return the bikes in San Francisco the next day.

Mahalo, people! I appreciate your input.