Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Relocating to Hawaii

Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Going to Kona in a couple weeks and renting 2 Softies to ride around the Big Island. Should be a good time.

I thought this thread was going to go "rotary" for a moment!

Old 05-15-2016, 03:17 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker Relentless
Yeah, I will do it when I get home from work in a couple of hours.

*couple of hours has turned into all day because my bike didn't want to start to get me hime this morning, so it is still there. I haven't forgot though, I will get you the measurements.
No worries brother, do what you gotta do

Old 05-15-2016, 03:18 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Going to Kona in a couple weeks and renting 2 Softies to ride around the Big Island. Should be a good time.

I thought this thread was going to go "rotary" for a moment!
It's amazing how small of a world it is.. lol

Old 05-21-2016, 04:28 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
No worries brother, do what you gotta do
Sorry about the long turn around, between my son breaking his arm and work, this past week has been a mother****er.

So, the sticker itself is 3" long by 2" tall. The little metal piece that the inspection shop can put on instead of attaching the sticker directly to your motorcycle typically attaches to the top of horizontally placed plates. It attaches behind the plate at the bolt holes. Basically, it will be slightly more than 2 inches form the top of the license plate to the top of the metal plate, then it will be just larger than 3 inches across the top of the metal plate, and will taper down from there to the overall width of the license plate.

I think it is the same general principle on vertical mounted license plates, just different dimensions to match up to that mount.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:45 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Awesome Joker, thanks I can easily fab something up to match my bike that'll work with those dimensions.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:01 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Awesome Joker, thanks I can easily fab something up to match my bike that'll work with those dimensions.
I think it is only like $15 for the one they have already at the shop and they will throw it on when they do the inspection.

Since I cut my stock plate mount and bent it down to my fender, they didn't think that the sticker plate would be able to miss the p-pad when I have it on, so they just threw it on my belt guard. I honestly don't even realize it is there.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

I think it is only like $15 for the one they have already at the shop and they will throw it on when they do the inspection.

Since I cut my stock plate mount and bent it down to my fender, they didn't think that the sticker plate would be able to miss the p-pad when I have it on, so they just threw it on my belt guard. I honestly don't even realize it is there.
My plate mount is enclosed with semi hidden hardware, so I'm not sure a standard one they have in the shop will work without mods. Plus I want it to be black, to blend in. Making **** is always fun anyways...

Old 05-21-2016, 06:49 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Moving to Hawaii soon, and have heard that HI requires the state inspection sticker to be displayed on the back of the bike. I'm looking for ideas as to how anyone has done this, without it looking tacky? As well as, are there any other laws or rules regarding scooters or cages I should be aware of before I show up? Thanks
Oh, and as far as laws go...nothing crazy. This is a no helmet required state, but with you being Army that doesn't apply to you. Where you going to; Fort Shaffter or Schofield Barracks?

What you need to watch for is the way people drive cars out here. In some instances it is better...people will damn near cause a wreck to let you over if you put your turn signal on. But other than that, you have to watch for people cutting you off because if they signal and you either don't see them, or just don't let them over, they will merge anyway. They are just so used to everyone letting them over that they will take you out if you aren't paying attention. Also, I assume because everywhere is considered "city driving" that when people get on H1 and start going 55, they CANNOT stay in their own lane in a turn. They will always drift over to the line. Just food for thought.

As far as motorcycles are concerned; there are a **** ton of them. A lot of little moped scooters too. If you're not riding with a club the actual club guys won't bother with you. There are a lot of motorcycle thefts out here so watch your ****.

My plate mount is enclosed with semi hidden hardware, so I'm not sure a standard one they have in the shop will work without mods. Plus I want it to be black, to blend in. Making **** is always fun anyways...

Nah, I get ya. Just giving you the info.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:11 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Oh, and as far as laws go...nothing crazy. This is a no helmet required state, but with you being Army that doesn't apply to you. Where you going to; Fort Shaffter or Schofield Barracks?

What you need to watch for is the way people drive cars out here. In some instances it is better...people will damn near cause a wreck to let you over if you put your turn signal on. But other than that, you have to watch for people cutting you off because if they signal and you either don't see them, or just don't let them over, they will merge anyway. They are just so used to everyone letting them over that they will take you out if you aren't paying attention. Also, I assume because everywhere is considered "city driving" that when people get on H1 and start going 55, they CANNOT stay in their own lane in a turn. They will always drift over to the line. Just food for thought.

As far as motorcycles are concerned; there are a **** ton of them. A lot of little moped scooters too. If you're not riding with a club the actual club guys won't bother with you. There are a lot of motorcycle thefts out here so watch your ****.

Nah, I get ya. Just giving you the info.
Cool brother, thanks. I'm relocating from Washington DC, so I have grown accustomed to "special" drivers, and heavy traffic. Although here the drivers are not polite nor helpful, so that will definitely be a nice change. We are going to be stationed on Wheeler, outside of Schofield Barracks. And I had heard theft was high, and will most certainly gourd my scooter, thanks brother.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Joker Relentless
Tourer

Cool brother, thanks. I'm relocating from Washington DC, so I have grown accustomed to "special" drivers, and heavy traffic. Although here the drivers are not polite nor helpful, so that will definitely be a nice change. We are going to be stationed on Wheeler, outside of Schofield Barracks. And I had heard theft was high, and will most certainly gourd my scooter, thanks brother.
I was out around D.C. once upon a time, so I know what you mean. I had some bitch take a right in front of cross traffic from the far left lane of a 5-way one way. **** was nuts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Relocating to Hawaii