Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Ca - NV- AZ Route Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ca - NV- AZ Route Help

I posted this in the Road Trip Section also but wanted to double tap it here to make sure I got it out to the folks from CA and NV that might have direct knowledge of the area.

Looking for a little input from those in the know.

I am going to be riding from the Show Low, Az area to Lindsay, Ca for a court appearance on 5-31-11. Heading out I am going to be on a semi tight time line so I will be sticking to the I-40, HWY-58, SR-65 route. However, on the way back my time is not so restricted and I was thinking of taking the long way home. I have never been through Death Valley and I have been wanting to see the new bridge at Hoover Dam.

I have a rough route already in mind as follows
1. Lindsay, Ca to Johnsondale, Ca.
2. Johnsondale south towards Lake Isabella to HWY-178
3. HWY-178 east to Midland Trail HWY-14 northbound
4. Stay northbound on HWY-14 and merge onto 395 northbound to Olancha, Ca.
5. Take HWY-190 east to Death Valley Junction
6. Death Valley Junction to Pahrump, NV via State Line Road.
7. HWY-160 south out of Pahrump to the I-215 skirting around the south side of the Vegas area merging onto I-515 / HWY-93 / HWY-95 to Boulder, NV
8. Stay on HWY-93 over Hoover Dam / Bridge to Kingman, Az
9. East on I-40 to Holbrook, Az then SR-77 south to Show Low, Az

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/381362

Per the HD Ride Planner it is 784.4 miles. 14h 1m. Which is roughly only 92 miles and 3 ½ hrs longer than if I just did the SR-65 / HWY-58 / I-40 route home.

I am open to comments, suggestions and especially warnings about the route.

1. I am concerned about the leg from Johnsondale to HWY-178 is it paved?
2. I am also concerned about fuel / food availability on the leg from Lake Isabella, Ca to Pahrump, NV through Death Valley.
3. Weather concerns for June?

I am going to do this as a solo trip and without hotels. Not a lot of stop for sight seeing other than when breaks are needed ie. fuel - food stops.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior

Well, the roads are paved, there are places to eat along the way. I know you used to be able to get Fuel in Death Valley by the visitors center, but I've never been to Pahrump from DV.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:24 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Thanks Finn. Lived most of my life in the Central Valley and never been to DV and only few times to Johnsondale. The times I was there we came in and left via Calif Hot Springs so I am not sure of the road to Lake Isabella.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d make a couple revisions to your return route, since it seems like you have the time. The 1st would be while in Death Valley park, you can grab a decent meal and gas up in Furnace Creek. Cut off from the 190 and head South onto Badwater Road for some nice pavement and great scenery. Check out Badwater. Continue on through on the 178 to Pahrump. On your way from Pahrump to Vegas stop and check out Red Rock Canyon.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Thanks Fattire, what would make that a better route than staying on the 190? Again, I've never been there before and not sure I will make it back anytime soon so I want to get the best bang for my buck.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Another question is NV a mandatory helmet state?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Sounds like a good trip. Yes, NV is a helmet state.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:01 PM
sbaalman
Cruiser

The 160 from Pahrump into south Vegas is about 90% boring, but once you hit the mountains the last 15-20 miles, it has some nice twisties coming down. There's a decent bar at the top of 160 if you need a stretch and a drink.

Heading through Boulder City going to the dam will be slow. They opened the bypass at the Hoover Dam and now going through town will be SLOOOOOOOOW, so pack your patience. The A&W in BC is an old-school one and has great grub. Crossing the dam you can either drive down the canyon and across the dam for a nice view or take the bypass and go over the top of the canyon. If heights bother you, then do not take it as it gives you a nice view of the Colorado river 1000" below.

When you ride through Vegas, keep an eye out. LOTS of cagers on their cell phones more interested in their conversation rather than their driving.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Thanks guys.

I thought they closed the Dam itself off to traffic and you had to take the bypass to get across?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Fattire_Biker
Cruiser

AZDesertTroll,

I just pulled up your ride plan and see that you were able to make turn off from the Hwy 190 onto Badwater Rd. I think that you'll enjoy that more. sbaalman is right, there is a lot of traffic to get to the bridge and dam. We hit it on a weekend about 6 mos ago and it seemed as the morning wore on, the traffic increased siginificantly. We rode and walked over both the dam and the bridge. I enjoyed walking it more. The new bridge has tall side walls so, while riding over it, I couldn't see squat.

Quick Reply: Ca - NV- AZ Route Help