Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Oxnard PD Pulled Me Over- Enforcing DOT Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
one78shovel
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxnard PD Pulled Me Over- Enforcing DOT Helmet

Not sure if this is the right spot in the forum to post, but wanted to get it out.

I was stopped today in Oxnard Ca coming home from work about a 1/2 mile from home. Sitting at the intersection I was waiting on the left arrow. A motorcop was at the light going the opposite direction. As I passed through the intersection I gave him a head nod which I do at times to other bikers. About 3rd gear I hear a siren blast and he lights me up. As he approached he ask for my license, etc. I ask why he pulled me over and he said because of my novelty helmet. I have lived in Oxnard a long time and they never looked twice at mine, or anyone else I know of. He goes on lecturing me on why his helmet has padding to protect his face as he slides down the asphalt. I said good point. He goes on saying he has to give me a ticket. Anyway, he wants me to call home and have someone bring me a DOT helmet. I said, no need to call, I will just just use the one in my saddlebag that I have to wear to get on base. He just shakes his head and keeps writing asking then why don't you wear it? I respond saying if I had my druthers, I would not wear a helmet at all. Anyway, he said I was the 4th rider he has ticketed.

The nod was just showing respect to a biker LEO. I guess it's true no good deed goes unpunished.

Be careful if you are coming down the coast hwy through Oxnard, they are watching for us.

-178S

Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM
bigdipper
Intermediate

Got one about 2 months ago in Santa Monica in a sweep along with a bunch of other people. Cost about $200

Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Notorious688
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel safer already... good job, CA!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:05 PM
TDG
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why I don't live in Calif (aka the tree hugging liberal state)

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Notorious688
Road Master

Originally Posted by TDG
That's why I don't live in Calif (aka the tree hugging liberal state)
Tree hugging is one thing, hug all the trees you want, go ahead, spend all day after pulling splinters out of your face, I don't care.

It's when they can't be satisfied with their own ignorance and come after everyone else who just wants to live their lives that makes this state unbearable.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by one78shovel
Not sure if this is the right spot in the forum to post, but wanted to get it out.

I was stopped today in Oxnard Ca coming home from work about a 1/2 mile from home. Sitting at the intersection I was waiting on the left arrow. A motorcop was at the light going the opposite direction. As I passed through the intersection I gave him a head nod which I do at times to other bikers. About 3rd gear I hear a siren blast and he lights me up. As he approached he ask for my license, etc. I ask why he pulled me over and he said because of my novelty helmet. I have lived in Oxnard a long time and they never looked twice at mine, or anyone else I know of. He goes on lecturing me on why his helmet has padding to protect his face as he slides down the asphalt. I said good point. He goes on saying he has to give me a ticket. Anyway, he wants me to call home and have someone bring me a DOT helmet. I said, no need to call, I will just just use the one in my saddlebag that I have to wear to get on base. He just shakes his head and keeps writing asking then why don't you wear it? I respond saying if I had my druthers, I would not wear a helmet at all. Anyway, he said I was the 4th rider he has ticketed.

The nod was just showing respect to a biker LEO. I guess it's true no good deed goes unpunished.

Be careful if you are coming down the coast hwy through Oxnard, they are watching for us.

-178S
1, why would you say hi to a freakin cop? He sure said hi to you, didn't he.

And 2, I don't get the novelty helmets - why not just use a DOT approved half helmet?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

This helmet issue will be around forever. While I believe we should all have a choice whether or not we wear a helmet that's just not going to happen everywhere.

Here in CA we have to wear a helmet so my feeling is... If you have to wear a helmet anyway, why not wear one that will at least do you some good if your head hits the pavement. All of my helmets are either Snell and/or DOT approved.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM
AMen
5th Gear

I live here in CA, from TX where i did not have to wear and DID NOT wear a helmet. I got a ticket in HB, fix it ticket $25.00. I had a friend lose a wife in TX and she was wearing a DOT, did not help. So better to live life then to give up any freedoms, no matter if someone thinks they know better.
AMen

Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Notorious688
Road Master

Originally Posted by AMen
So better to live life then to give up any freedoms, no matter if someone thinks they know better.
AMen
You basically just took away all reason for politicians to exist. Not that it would be a bad thing....

Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
xxINKxx
Tourer

One day some smart CA polititian will come up with the idea to make people wear helmets in there car. I'm getting sick of this state (more so because im a gun enthusiast and CA really is the worst state to own firearms and its only getting worse)

Either way the law is the law. Can't argue that.

I know people who took DOT stickers off really cheap helmets and stuck it on the back of there novelty helmets and never had an issue.

What kind of novelty helmet was it? There's usually always a company that has DOT approved helmets that are identical to a lot of novelty helmets out there. Just a lil more pricey.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 10-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Oxnard PD Pulled Me Over- Enforcing DOT Helmet