Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

S&S P series engines?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM
the Jim in the wolf shirt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S P series engines?

Does anyone have any experience with these - good or bad? From what I read from S&S they're not really a true pan, but a pan with some shovel technology.

Really appreciate hearing about any experiences running them as far as reliability and how well they run in traffic, etc.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 AM
31choptop
Tourer

from what i understand they are a genny case evo with pan rocker covers. dont think there is anything pan about them. not sure but dont even think its a true genny. but an alternator. if it floats yer boat.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Novice

A pans float my boat, an evo with pan rocker covers don't.

Finding a rebuildable pan motor at a sane price has been impossible - haven't seen one yet that didn't have fire damage, cracked or broken case or probably off a stolen bike.

If that P-series S&S was actually a pan longblock that'd be an option (and they could if they wanted to - they've made sidewinder kits and replacement cases for decades). But if it's just an evo with those fake pan covers that used to be popular in the 90s I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the info, I've never seen one yet.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by the Jim in the wolf shirt
A pans float my boat, an evo with pan rocker covers don't.
If that P-series S&S was actually a pan longblock that'd be an option (and they could if they wanted to - they've made sidewinder kits and replacement cases for decades). But if it's just an evo with those fake pan covers that used to be popular in the 90s I'll keep looking.
It is not an evo with pan covers...s&s gen cases, shovel cylinders, and shovelheads that are cast to take pan covers...but use shovel rockers...uses shovel intake and exhaust...basically a shovelhead that looks like a pan...easier to get parts for...most people would not know the difference.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 01-24-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:35 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Buddy of mine has one. Runs like a raped ape. Definitely a lot more beef than either of my pan motors. The only problem he has with it is the front rocker cover leaks.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Novice

Some sort of pan-shovel hybrid then. I remember a guy that ran a shovel top on a pan bottom, had to do some weird stuff to get the oil back from the heads. This sounds kind of like the same setup except still looks like a pan and the oil return issue handled. Looks aside, I like the idea of being able to pull off the cover to inspect the valve train.

The picture looks like it has the shovel exhaust-pipe setup. I'm not a fan of that, I had the bolt pull out of my `79 and heli-coiled it, then had the heli-coil pull out. Anyone know if it also uses the shovel intake manifold?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:35 AM
31choptop
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
It is not an evo with pan covers...s&s gen cases, shovel cylinders, and shovelheads that are cast to take pan covers...but use shovel rockers...uses shovel intake and exhaust...basically a shovelhead that looks like a pan...easier to get parts for...most people would not know the difference.

ok I stand corrected, it's a chubble with pan covers. most knowad people would know the difference by looking at the exhaust pipe mount that it isn't a panhead. i think they sound pretty much the same except for the noisier valve train.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,519 Likes on 3,048 Posts

Originally Posted by 31choptop
ok I stand corrected, it's a chubble with pan covers. most knowad people would know the difference by looking at the exhaust pipe mount that it isn't a panhead. i think they sound pretty much the same except for the noisier valve train.
My 93" S&S pan ran panhead exhausts, pulled like a tractor to 4500 rpm (then nothing above that,) vibrated severely (IMO,) never leaked a drop of oil and cost me close to $7,000 to complete it (as I recall,)

and I liked it.

Last edited by Stiggy; 01-24-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by 31choptop
most knowad people would know the difference by looking at the exhaust pipe mount that it isn't a panhead.
I said "most"people wouldn't know the difference because "most" people have never see a pan in the flesh...they are all in japan...lol

Originally Posted by Stiggy
My 93" S&S pan ran panhead exhausts
I believe all the S&S stuff went to shovelhead exhaust in 2007...STD makes all kinds of panhhead heads including ones with shovelhead headbolt pattern...and they can be had with panhead exhaust, shovel exhaust or the 3 bolt STD pattern.

http://stddevelopment.com/index.php?...d=14&Itemid=15

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 01-24-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Novice

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I believe all the S&S stuff went to shovelhead exhaust in 2007...STD makes all kinds of panhhead heads including ones with shovelhead headbolt pattern...and they can be had with panhead exhaust, shovel exhaust or the 3 bolt STD pattern.

http://stddevelopment.com/index.php?...d=14&Itemid=15
Awesome link - thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S&S P series engines?