Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

This bike just changed my world!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This bike just changed my world!

This thread may jump all over the place because this 48 panhead EL just blew my mind. I'm new to Harleys ( just bought a 09 street bob in January) and while growing up I always thought they were cool, I never really began to check out the old school bikes until recently. I really love my bike and I'm so happy that I own it but this bike just screamed out to me and I can't get it out of my head. So in a couple of years I'm going to pull the trigger and get one to work on. With that I just have a couple of questions for you guys have have experience with these bikes.

All I hear is that this old bikes need constant work because of leaks, rattles, etc but how hard are they to work on? I consider myself a handy guy but I have never really worked on motors before besides basic maintenace. I don't know how hard it would be to find a repair manual for a Panhead but thought would help alot.

Is there a year span that I should avoid like the plague? I know some manufactuers just have some runs of junk that you wouldn't but used.

Finally, is there a good website or book that I can check out to get smart on these bikes?

I'm not looking for something that needs a ground up resto or something that is already a finished product. Just something I can work on and make my own but isn't a lost cause for a first time project.

I attached a pic of the 48 panhead.

Attached Thumbnails This bike just changed my world!-48-panhead-el.jpg   This bike just changed my world!-48-panhead-el-2.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

An Army type guy right ! Send me an E-Mail address and I'll show you what was available and I purchased after I got back from Vietnam in 1970 Big dollars $300 in a basket !

Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

You would be correct! PM sent.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Been riding the same 65 pan I bought in late '70 after coming home from my war. Pans that are maintained will serve you just fine. Maintenance requirements are about every 2500 miles. Can tell you mine has never left me stranded (but I do the majority of the work on her myself).

The pan you pictured had been modified buy you need to decide what you are looking for/wanting before you begin your search. They are very easy to work on.

Manuals are cheap and there are various sources available to down load the entire manual. One of the best manuals is Palmer's Guide (kinda like the book to own in addition to the OEM manuals)

www.Hydra-Glide.net is devoted to older machines and is a good staring point on older iron.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

Thanks for all the info. I didn't know if the bike I posted was modified because I truthfully don't know the bikes well enough to tell the difference. I checked out that site, it looks like it has alot of info. I have a couple of year before I pick up a pan so I'm going to read up and figure out what I like. Thanks again

Old 10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
48pan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ground Truth good to see your interest in older iron. I've had mine since 1980. They definately need more attention than the newer ones but nothing incrediblely difficult. If you're mechanically inclined it shouldn't be an issue. You can always find a reliable shop to do any of the heavy engine work.

Fully restored or stock early pans are sometimes getting $40k now. That said there are still plenty out there that are modified that you can pick up for much less than that. I've got a Clymer's manual which isn't too bad, I'd recommend that. The stock harley manual was basically a reminder for any technician that took the moco course.

Antique Motorcycle Club of America is another good source. If you join they tell about all the meets around the country. Ownership isn't required. Also Classic American Iron has a website for antique motorcycles. A lot of good knowledge there. A plus to hydra glide site panz4ever mentioned.

As for years that I'd stay away from I wouldn't worry about that. They all had certain things that were improvements. I'd stay away from anything stroked, IMHO it takes away from being stock and reliablity.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find the bike of your dreams.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

Thanks for the info 48pan. I'll check out those references you gave me. Hopefully I can find a deal on one in the future. I'm in no real rush so I'll know it when the right bike hits me.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Greybeard Bob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another great site:

http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Bob

Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM
randy snyder
Stage II

I've had this Pan for 19 years, I think it's pan # 5 or 6 and the last one I'll ever build. It started with a 65 ex LA Police bike with about 50,ooo miles on it, it still ran good even if the chain did skip over the teeth on the rear sprocket! There's not much left from the 49 I started with, it was pretty beat up. 32 cracks in the frame, worn out 93 inch motor etc, but it's all working good now, and yeah, I do spend a fair amount of time taking care of it, some things just need attention. I have yet to try and really set the timing after the initial start up and it runs just fine but I want to make sure. If I recall, the points condenser etc are right out of a mid sixties chevy six cylinder. And, using a timing light is the best way to set the timing but boy can it be messy!

Attached Thumbnails This bike just changed my world!-nite-pan.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 09:40 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Randy, very nice looking pan. Who made the front end/ You running a spool hub on it or a mini-hub front brake?

At any rate very 'old school' look. Must get a lot of attention and compliments

Quick Reply: This bike just changed my world!