Panhead A place to talk about Panhead motors.

64 duo hot start

Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 PM
i Confederate i
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 duo hot start

I've posted a while ago about my 64. STD pan, s&s e carb, Mallory comp distributor. I've got the technique down for a cold start. 2 pumps on throttle, 2 prime kicks, switch on, choke on, starts on 1st kick. But I cannot for the life of me start the bike hot. Its left me stranded. Tried every combo I can think of. Full throttle, no throttle, advance timing, retard timing...even if I manage to get the bike to turn over and run, it quits less than a minute later. If you try and ride it in that minute, it'll quit when you stop at a light. Ideas?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by i Confederate i
I've posted a while ago about my 64. STD pan, s&s e carb, Mallory comp distributor. I've got the technique down for a cold start. 2 pumps on throttle, 2 prime kicks, switch on, choke on, starts on 1st kick. But I cannot for the life of me start the bike hot. Its left me stranded. Tried every combo I can think of. Full throttle, no throttle, advance timing, retard timing...even if I manage to get the bike to turn over and run, it quits less than a minute later. If you try and ride it in that minute, it'll quit when you stop at a light. Ideas?
hot staring issues can be many different things but try this

drive it around get it 1/2 hour hot than take it back home and shut it off like at a gas station and kick it 5 minutes later and when it does not start have a pitcher of water handy / pore it on the electronic dist ( too cool it off cool to the touch ) engine hot and than kick it again - cooling off the trigger that might be overheating and causing a very weak spark - will do exactly what you are explaining at a hot re start --

coil swap is another idea if you have not checked the OHMs resistance in the coil you need to as the incorrect resistance will also do what you are having issues with Hot no start - no i do not have the OHMs restance for that dist handy do you have the original directions if not give them a call -- jz

Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

there really isn't much of a hot start technique. 1/4 throttle, and kick it over.. you probably have a hot running problem.. check compression, timing, ignition, fuel vaporlock? the distributor is a problem in it self if it is worn..

Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 PM
i Confederate i
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brand new distributor. Only 400 original miles on the bike.