Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

How to wash bike without scratching paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:47 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Default How to wash bike without scratching paint

You would think after 30+ years of washing / driving vehicles, I would know how to wash my bike without getting fine scratches in the clear coat? Being the sucky washer I am, any tips on washing the bike without it getting scratches in the paint.

I'm considering getting some scratch removal for the paint. I would assume it's basically removing a layer of clear. Any tips on usage?

Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

My method is first, don't wash the bike unless it really needs it. I use the two bucket method, one with good wash solution, one with clean water to rinse the mitts. The first thing I do is spray the bike with automotive simple green and let it soak for 5 minutes. Rinse off with just water from the hose. I use several soft detailing mitts from Griott's to gently wash any dirty areas using the two buckets as described above. Rinse throughly with water from the hose again. Blow dry with the leaf blower. While the bike is air drying, I work on the wheels with a soft brush. Only at the end do I use good quality micorfibre cloths to that the rest of the water off. Once the bike is dry, I them use a good detailing spray, such as Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 or Wizzard's Mist n Shine. That it.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:32 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by howitzer88
My method is first, don't wash the bike unless it really needs it. I use the two bucket method, one with good wash solution, one with clean water to rinse the mitts. The first thing I do is spray the bike with automotive simple green and let it soak for 5 minutes. Rinse off with just water from the hose. I use several soft detailing mitts from Griott's to gently wash any dirty areas using the two buckets as described above. Rinse throughly with water from the hose again. Blow dry with the leaf blower. While the bike is air drying, I work on the wheels with a soft brush. Only at the end do I use good quality micorfibre cloths to that the rest of the water off. Once the bike is dry, I them use a good detailing spray, such as Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 or Wizzard's Mist n Shine. That it.
Excellent!!! Thank you!