Powdercoat & Paint A place to discuss everything about powder coat and paint for your Harley.

John Deer Blitz Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:25 PM
TF3N
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AK883xl
where can you find blitz black? any auto stores or home supply stores or just online?
I got mine from a John Deere dealer. Any agricultural/tractor supply store should carry it.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:29 PM
TF3N
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KonradL
Good to know. I have a pearl black SG and was thinking of either repainting it this matte black, or painting some of the chrome pieces.

How resistant is it to chipping would you say, especially that you did a rattle can job? I'm mainly concerned with the front batwing fairing and front fender getting hit with rocks and other debris.

Other than sanding, did you have to do any special prep? Also, did you put any protective top coat over the Blitz Black, or is that you top coat?
Didn't see this till right now...

I took my tank right down to bare metal and used a good metal primer. I didn't use any sort of clear or protective coat on top. Just three coats of Blitz Black.

The stuff is very chip resistant, they use it on tractors lol.

If you're doing the whole bike I'd suggest buying quarts and using a gun, that way you can cut it with 15-20% JD hardener and you'd never have to worry about chips. Your cure time will be greatly reduced, too.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 PM
Crossbone Canuck
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I am a believer in JD Blitz Black. I recently picked up a 2009 Crossbones and the previous owner had a leather tool pouch on the front forks that sat on top of the fender

When I took it off the fender brace ad fender had a serious rub in it.

I decided to sand it out and paint it using the Blitz black. For a different look I masked off the sides of the brace on the same arc as the fender as only the top part over the fender was rubbed

The paint match is as close as you could ever get. The brace top is repainted but the fender was only painted in the portion showing through the hole in the brace

Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

damn that looks Fn good!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Perfect match.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:00 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm getting ready to paint an ABS fairing with this paint. Can says it can be applied directly to plastic without the use of primer. Has anyone done this?

I was planning on scuffing with 600, cleaning with surface prep cleaner, hit with tack rag, spray 3 coats of blitz black.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Crossbone Canuck
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

I have painted a bunch of plastics and I have always used a Plastic Primer. Almost all the different manufacturers have their own version of a primer that is made specifically for bonding to plastic parts

I usually would wipe the part with degreaser than scuff with fine scotch pad or 600 or 800 grit. After a quick wipe with a tack rag I would blast it with a couple of coats of plastic primer.

Let it dry over night than scuff the primer with 800 grit than clean with final wipe, tack it and paint

Old 10-26-2016, 12:01 AM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

Gonna need to paint my new speaker lids. Any updates with pics? Fender touch up looks great!

Also saw a few mentions of plastidip any pics or experiences would be appreciated

Old 12-22-2016, 12:22 PM
rainsong
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Planning to shoot my Evo Fat Boy in Blitz Black with hardener next month using a gun.

You guys who've done this before, do you use a clear coat after or just leave it? If the paint can handle gas spills as is, I'd rather not clear coat and make the paint shiny.

If I don't use clear coat, I guess I'll probably go either with vinyl decals or buy tank badges to replace the original Fat Boy decals.

Last edited by rainsong; 12-23-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:10 PM
1972 Super Glide
Stage II

Do you remember what ratio you mixed the John Deere Blitz Black at? I am painting a 2014 Fat Bob, and bought the John deere Blitz Black, Hardner, and Reducer. How many coats did you apply....how wet of coats did you apply? TIA.

Quick Reply: John Deer Blitz Black